Pascal Class D

The STA-2000D is not that new, it's been around for some time now, but it is in a different price range from the more popular competitors, mainly the Behringer and Crown low range equipment with/without DSP. This explains the lack of popularity to some degree.
It seems that lots of power cheap is a better advertising argument than moderate power at a higher level of quality.

NMOS, the STA-2000D is a 4 channel amplifier, you can get about 2x1kw from it, but for me the main point is to view it as a 4x200w slightly higher quality amp, rather than a 2x1kw mediocre one. THD+N also seem very slightly better on the Pascal based amplifiers.

The behringer and Crown I guess are reputed for high power at modest cost. There is clearly a market for that. But, such models would discourage me from looking for audiophile performance from such types of gear. That may be the problem for the STA-2000D. You took the chance and it payed off.

I agree with you, rather excellent 4x200W than mediocre 2x1000W. But, as it is only bridging of two high quality units I guess you will have little difference at least up to several hundred of Watts. 2x200W is for sure enough to have a bad relationship with the neighbors.

Hah! Indeed!

I would have no problem getting in trouble with 15w/channel, I was able to get the green signal light on a little bit when I volunteered my hifi setup for a disco a couple weeks ago, completely failed to achieve clipping, and no compression lights on, even though it was really loud at times.

Maybe I can try again in august, the setup is in the garage now, tidying up the place for the sales process, photographer comes tomorrow.
Somehow the real estate guy thought my 6 x 15" setup was a bit excessive, and wanted something smaller, so down to only 1 x 12" + 1 x MA10.2 per channel. No details, no dynamics...

Edit:
Oh!
Have you heard the newest album from Shy FX? Raggamuffin Soundtape! it's quite good!
They have FLAC on junodownload in case you don't know.
Raggamuffin SoundTape by SHY FX on MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF & ALAC at Juno Download

Attachments

• Disco.jpg
    Disco.jpg
    854.3 KB · Views: 631
Last edited:
Jesper Lind Hansen, original designer of the modules. Involved in electronics design, electronic music and parties.

GENIUS! #16: Jesper Lind Hansen and the Pascal S-PRO2 - PSNEurope

Did they sack the designer? I was sacked after designing 6KW modules for another company.

No, as a co-owner of Pascal he should still be there. He's also a DJ. I noticed "night-life" and 'parties" to be part of your interests. Another apparent similarity.....

I believe that on maintaining the know-how of a company among its staff the game has changed. Before, the companies tried to build a stable knowledge base for producing competitive products. Today, the companies are themselves products where a couple of years of good earnings make them attractive for sale to investment groups, competitors or share holders. The long-term potential is no longer in focus and often it is (much) better business selling the company than keeping it and live from the yearly earnings. Anyway, "professional" management often has a financial view, not a technical knowledge.

Your knowledge on amplifiers and SMPS is eminent. On top of that you seem to have a considerable scientific basis. Very attractive characteristics. Long-term you are most likely on a continent that is loosing out. When you get tired of the sun (and parties), look for the new places with electronic activity.

Hah! Indeed!

I would have no problem getting in trouble with 15w/channel, I was able to get the green signal light on a little bit when I volunteered my hifi setup for a disco a couple weeks ago, completely failed to achieve clipping, and no compression lights on, even though it was really loud at times.

Maybe I can try again in august, the setup is in the garage now, tidying up the place for the sales process, photographer comes tomorrow.
Somehow the real estate guy thought my 6 x 15" setup was a bit excessive, and wanted something smaller, so down to only 1 x 12" + 1 x MA10.2 per channel. No details, no dynamics...

Edit:
Oh!
Have you heard the newest album from Shy FX? Raggamuffin Soundtape! it's quite good!
They have FLAC on junodownload in case you don't know.
Raggamuffin SoundTape by SHY FX on MP3, WAV, FLAC, AIFF & ALAC at Juno Download

Ready to party, I see.............

Really good quality of the FLAC but I'm elder and more for Ylvis: "What does the fox say?". Actually, I'm into symphonic rock.

Selling a house near Oslo should make you a millionaire. At least in NKR but probably also EU-Dollars. Good luck!

Who can fix technical problems in future, when the original designer is sack ?

Semiconductor devices can go obsolete, the original designer understand the circuit....

not easy to find qualified technical engineer

who will teach service staff ?

I dont undertand it

I do not understand where this suggestion comes from? - Jesper still appears to be head of R&D and Co-founder of Pascal.

Not long ago they were looking for a design colleague to join the team, so Eva, if you have something to offer don't hold back.
I'm not affiliated with the company, but in a lot of cases the point of contact (unfortunately...) starts with HR unless otherwise stated.

I bought an IMG STA-1000D just for the module, little more than a month ago, and it has been a good experience. The build quality of the PCB's in regard to handling the harsh pro environment is excellent. Unfortunately the add on input module and gain/led boards added by Monacor(?) are nowhere near the same quality level. But I already moved it to another cabinet and removed these - still have to finalize a decent input buffer for the low impedance input.
It's been stable, running cool, noise free, and DC offset has been steady at below +/2mV
While great, detailed, with nice perspective/ambience it's not a good match for my recent Open-Baffle 100dB/w project - "too much of a good thing",
My F5 monoblocks appear a better marriage - quite unsurprising perhaps :)

Who can fix technical problems in future, when the original designer is sack ?

Semiconductor devices can go obsolete, the original designer understand the circuit....

not easy to find qualified technical engineer

who will teach service staff ?

I dont undertand it

You are absolutely right in that we cannot trust all we read. The marketing bias is often hidden in "objective" reviews. The Sanway has considerably more power per Dollar and is really able to move air at parties. For audiophile use I would prefer something less powerful.

Yes, with competent staff leaving much of a company's knowledge base is gone. But, financially focused management may not see a future with themselves in front anyway and less staff leaves better earnings for a sale.

Ready to party, I see.............

Really good quality of the FLAC but I'm elder and more for Ylvis: "What does the fox say?". Actually, I'm into symphonic rock.

Selling a house near Oslo should make you a millionaire. At least in NKR but probably also EU-Dollars. Good luck!

:D
I'm all for partying, but all people like to do on parties these days is partake in Quiz activities and/or talk.
I'm more of a jump around and have fun person myself, so not compatible with modern party variants.

I've been through most genres, but I think it's hard to find good stuff. Gave up on symphonic rock after 2005 or so, too much whining in the stuff I've heard since then. So much self-absorbed gunk, at least in the stuff I've heard. (In a lot of modern music, regardless of genre)
Used to listen to things like Apocalyptica, Children of Bodom and Hammerfall a bit.
Maybe you have some tips on good stuff I might've missed?

Not much money here, only debt, and the house prices in this area are quite low, hoping for maybe 2 100 000 NOK ca 106sq m sans storage space. Tiny garden.

Last edited:
These are wildly different amplifiers, are you asking us to compare a 16 x hexfet/channel design with a very compact class D?

Have you heard the Pascal modules yet?
I would be interested in any listening impressions.

My conclusion is that if "hifi" for you is listening to stuff that has significant distortion character of some sort, don't bother.
The Pascal amps are very neutral, very good if you are chasing small details IMO. If you want "warm fuzzy haze" go find something else.

I suppose I was clear what I asked:
1) anyone tried caps upgrade (higher V, ripple and temp)
2) subjective impressions, if anything changed with sound also. It could be the case, as such caps are quite different inside (from lower values), normal approach (if you are not fighting in price with competitors) - to have twice overhead in these parameters at PSU. And yes, caps in PSU ARE easily heard, if your system is good level and you are not deaf.
That is why I asked what I asked.

But I did not ask for, and I dont need neither "warm fuzzy sound" nor your advises where I should "go" to find it. The same as I dont need your conclusions "what is hi-fi for me".

That amp is really different (much, much better than pascal in all regards), but it is also uses powerfull SMPS where we experimented with cap parameters impact on SMPS performence.

Regarding Pascal - I use it already few years. 4 channels amp with multichannel DAC and PC as source and digital crossover (HQPlayer +rephase). Happy enough.

Last edited:
Not looking for an argument, I was just thinking of a review I read about these modules, where the author clearly favored amplifiers with a distinct sound signature.
A little bit of h2 and h3 in just the right amounts can make an amp sound really sweet, but sweet is not neutral. Depends what you're after.

I do not know if anyone else have tried changing the capacitors on these modules, I would rather look for a different amp than start changing caps on this one.