Pascal Class D

Well a pre-amp is something that goes in front of an amplifier not necessarily itself an amplifier.

Typically it will provide switching, attenuation and buffering. In these days of line level signals rather than phono it doesn't have to provide any amplification in many systems so a passive design is possible.

If it does not amplify voltage or current it is not a preamplifier,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall this is a very good amplifier. I hav several class D amps with SMPS, and this one is my first that do not get hot. All other SMPS PSU's I have get very hot (Panasonic SA-XR55, Audiopower MDA-400 and Sinewave TPA3251 amplifier)

It have lots of power, and have a vary good low end performance on my four times 10" open baffles with massive eq. They are completely cool and silent (fan never kicks in - only at 85 degrees celcius). This amplifier is also very good in the high.

I am no high end guy, sp I will not comment on depth etc, but it's definatly there.

The case is fine for the price, and only one third is used inside, so lots of free space inside. The potentiometers is not very good, they can have scratching sound when you touch them (not always).

If they should be modded it does have a 26 connection flat ribbon, but no indication of what the connection are. But, for the modders a new and strong preamp section, could probably make this amp very very good. But, I don't really miss anything.

Hi all

Anyone have experience with the Pascal module ?

Pascal - High Power Pro Audio OEM Amplifier Modules

I have just bought one module

It seems to be the modules in Jeff Roland use in his Model 525 and in the Continuum S2

And I would love to hear any experiences from your guys before I start to invent the wheel my self

Best

Reenberg

Have you figured out the pinouts on the 26 ribbon cable

The inside of the IMG STA1000D Pascal amplifier. Op amps are NJM4558LD. I plan to try another front end. Either based on better op-amp or a low impedance discrete preamplifier.

It will not be in the near future

Attachments

• STA-1000Dfrontpanel.jpg
    STA-1000Dfrontpanel.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,303
  • STA-1000Dinputmodule.jpg
    STA-1000Dinputmodule.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,321
  • STA-1000Dopen.jpg
    STA-1000Dopen.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • STA-1000Dspeakerconnection.jpg
    STA-1000Dspeakerconnection.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,301
Still no-one have tried another frontend/buffer/preamp?

I have just bought a Motu soundcard with balanced output. I will try to use this directly in to the SPRO board. The build in front end is not very good. A lot of noise from time to time, and I have to turn the knobs 10-20 times before the noise disappears

Hi Kjeldsen, hos is it gong with the monacor/Pascal amps? I’ve been considering ordering a 2000d amp, but I’m put off by the reports on noise etc.

They are doing fine. I have just installes a Motu Ultralite in my system, so I can try to avoid the build in preamp section (Motu have balanced output and I will try to connect directly to the amplifier modules). This preamp is definatly the week part in the IMG 2000D. But, they are very reliable and runs very cool. Other class D amps with SMPS tend to get very hot. Not the amps, but the SMPS gets very hot. Pascal modules do not get hot at all, and seems to be very well build.

Ah ok, thanks. Then the driverack might be a tall order. The Zout of the Driverack is 120. That’s probably too low. The Motu sounds like quite a box, but... I’m very fond of the driverack, partly because it does room correction as well. In the bass, I cant live without that. It also allows me to do without a computer in the system, something I greatly appreciate.

Yes the Driverack is also nice, and made to be a cross over. The Motu is actually a stand alone unit as well as a USB sound card. It does eq on both input and outputs as well as compressor/Limiter if that is needed. But, you have to know how a mixer is working to sort out how to assign input to busses, and then to output.

It also have mic input, so I also use it for measurements with Holm Impulse software.

I use a IMG 2000D the best are the Pascal Modils inside. The sound is very limited until some changes i think. I found inside a little funny board with an EMI filter wich obviously filtered not only EMI, Sound also.
After removing it the sound was much better...
Another part to change is the input i think.
At diyaudi wrote a member that he just removed just 4 resistors and 2 coupling caps to bypass the electronic for direct input to the s-pro2, he uses the 1000D, the input is only one bord, at 2000d the input is split to three boards, i dont know exactly wich parts to remove for testing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180916-215513.jpg
    Screenshot_20180916-215513.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 969