Recommendations for a finished TPA3116/TPA3118 unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm looking for advice on which completed (enclosure, jacks, and all) TPA3118 or TPA3116 unit would be best, preferably for under $100.

I've never used a soldering gun, and I'd rather not mess around with getting a proper enclosure, volume pot, etc., if I don't really have to. Sorry that I'm not taking the DIY route on a place called diyaudio, but I don't have the time right now (maybe some other time?)!

This would be to power a set of Micca MB42X speakers, currently being powered by an Indeed TA2021 Tripath amp. The 3116/3118 units I've found that would seem to fit the bill are as follows

SMSL SA-36 Pro
Yuan Jing TPA3116 2.1 [red board]

I also found this other Yuan Jing unit (with the blue and black board), but I really don't want to pay $115 plus $48 shipping for it.

Any ideas how these finished units compare, sound-wise, or if there are any major problems with them? I couldn't find a whole lot of info on the finished units in particular from the big 3116 thread or on Google. I'm currently leaning toward the SMSL unit because I don't need external tone controls.

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: It looks like the blue board might be able to be gotten to a usable state without soldering: just the DC, RCA, and audio jacks would be needed.
The enclosure and volume pot/knob might be a little more complicated. Hmm..

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Indeed the YJ Blue/Black can be used without any soldering. If you don't require a case it works as is out of the box as it has all screw wire terminals. Just make sure you order the RCA to micro 3pin connector from YJ at the same time for additional $1.50. If you have a 19 volt SMPS brick just cut the round jack off the end and strip the wire and connect to the power in screw terminals observing polarity. I have 5 variants I the TPA3116 and have yet to case one. Works just fine but doesn't have the finished look. Of course there is no difference in sound. :)

They don't seem to make cased 2.0 amps so maybe the best thing is to get a 2.1 amp and not use the sub outputs. Turn sub volume down so it doesn't need a load.

Here is one for $50. Free shipping but beware Aliexpress takes a month to send stuff.
http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1489327373.html

Last edited:
OK thanks! Searching around on the YJ red 2.1, it seems that the treble control is subtractive and I would need to have it turned up to be flat. Is the bass control similar in 2.0 mode, or is it just a subwoofer volume control for 2.1?

Alternatively, I wonder if I could easily bypass these tone controls somehow (I've never really liked tone controls to begin with)?

More searching I must do, it seems.

I know it's too late now but to answer the OP specifically I would go for this:

New Latest HIFI 2.0 Stereo Output Digital Power Amplifier TPA3116 50Wx2 by WLX | eBay

I mentioned it in another thread.

In my set up I much prefer it over the YJ blue board because apart from the inbuilt mute to counter the switch on/off pops it seems to cure the sibilance that is present with the YJ. You will likely have to work quite hard to get rid of the sibilance.

I own Sure three Sure TPA3116 boards, sound nice from stock and very good after doing the OSCON mod : replacing the PSU caps by Panasonic OSCON SEPF 330 mF.

Sure is planning to release a finished amp on the beginning of december.

The Sure board is on another league than the YJ red board concerning sound and build quality.
A TPA3116 amp can only sound good with snubber circuit IMHO, only few boards are designed with, Sure board is one.

See last posts on the main thread TPA3116.

I don't know other boards,
but I posted several threads.
For me the YJ blue board is the best.
maybe it is not the best complete board.
But it is full of mods. And with these mods, it is the best in several points:
1) good way for learning
2) with regards to what I can read, best with all mods.

Regards,

Christian

I replaced the 2 red caps with Nichicon 220/35 caps and it improved the overall sound. It's seems similar to the YJ red board. Maybe a little better bass.

Hi Prezen,

Do you have photos of this board, both top and bottom? What other boards have you compared it to, i noticed you build one of these aswell:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp-536.html#post4086048

Many poster rate the Audiobah board as sounding the best, i am curious if this YJ copy sounds as good.

Regards,

Well, I have had a chance to compare these 2 boards. My first impression is that the YBDZ is the better sounding of the 2 by quite a margin. My comparison isn't quite fair in that the YBDZ has a better power supply than rhe AudioBah which is using a 19v laptop brick. I can't imagine that the difference is only due to the ps though. The source and speakers were the same.
Of the different 3116 boards I have tried the 2 partially modified YJ blue/black are the best, then the YBDZ with OSCON caps, the YJ red board and the AudioBah. I haven't done direct comparisons of all them with the same speakers and sources though.

Attachments

• anti pop.jpg
    anti pop.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 2,743
  • weiner.jpg
    weiner.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 2,688
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.