ebay TPA3116 2.1 amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The only things you could possibly damage when using 25.2VDC are:
- Your power supply (short-circuit protection? over-current protection? etc.)
- PCB traces (when short circuit occurs, pcb traces might melt or get damaged)
- Simple and easy-to-get components like capacitors and resistors. (when to high voltages are used)
- The DC buffer capacitors will loose capacitance faster! (not recommended to use above 25V of course, it might get too hot because of internal resistance!)

The only things you could possibly damage when using 25.2VDC are:
- Your power supply (short-circuit protection? over-current protection? etc.)
- PCB traces (when short circuit occurs, pcb traces might melt or get damaged)
- Simple and easy-to-get components like capacitors and resistors. (when to high voltages are used)
- The DC buffer capacitors will loose capacitance faster! (not recommended to use above 25V of course, it might get too hot because of internal resistance!)

Hum, what is this of dc buffer capacitors might i ask?

As long as the power supply can provide sufficient current for the amplifier at maximum output then there is nothing to be gained by increasing the value of the 1000µF capacitors.
I have deliberately introduced a low frequency roll off into my system because on certain material (film sound tracks for instance) there was a massive amount of sub audible bass that the speakers could not handle without distortion. As far as I could measure the amp. was flat down to well below 10Hz. It now starts rolling off at 30Hz, the bass is not reduced but the speaker cones no longer 'flap around' and cause audible distortion.
I think this was called a 'rumble filter' that could be switched in on some older systems to reduce the low frequency content due to warped records.

As long as the power supply can provide sufficient current for the amplifier at maximum output then there is nothing to be gained by increasing the value of the 1000µF capacitors.
I have deliberately introduced a low frequency roll off into my system because on certain material (film sound tracks for instance) there was a massive amount of sub audible bass that the speakers could not handle without distortion. As far as I could measure the amp. was flat down to well below 10Hz. It now starts rolling off at 30Hz, the bass is not reduced but the speaker cones no longer 'flap around' and cause audible distortion.
I think this was called a 'rumble filter' that could be switched in on some older systems to reduce the low frequency content due to warped records.

Why would you even want 10Hz? It'll only be less power efficient that way, right? :p

Bear in mind that as the datasheet says the TPA3116 has overvoltage shutdown at 27V +0%/-15%. It can tolerate 30V as absolute maximum voltage but it will have shutdown long before you reach that voltage. It also starts to perform poorly above around 21V, so voltage should generally be limited to around that.

yeah, it really doesn't does it? i'd noticed that before, maybe it's 2A maximum for one channel alone, thus making it 24v 2A+2A+4A MAX?

I was thinking about that too.
I'm sorry for stealing this topic, but I have a question about this.
I have been searching the internet for other class D amps and it seems that usually their 'maximum power consumption' (in VA) is LOWER than their rated output power... And they aren't just using PMPO 'fake' output watts.

For an extreme example, the PowerSoft K18, a high end PA-amp, produces 18 000 watts (9000 watts per channel) from a standard outlet, with a power consumption of 3450 VA total.
K20
http://soundforums.net/attachments/...-powersoft-digam-k3-k20-m50q-img_1271.jpg.att
http://www.tmaudio.nl/image/image_g...11-3252e704ee2f&groupId=10506&t=1373625070611

This must mean that the power output is not 'continuous' but some kind of 'peak' value.

First of all, is the power output of the TPA3116 measured in 'continuous' RMS watts or is it a peak value? And if so, what is the measuring standard used for it?

Secondly, how can we know what kind of power supply is actually NEEDED to achieve this output number? I'm not talking about sound quality...
For example, in the PowerSoft K20, assuming 100% power supply efficiency, the power supply is only producing 1/5 of the rated output power.
* If this is the case with the TPA3116, then only a 16 watt power supply would be needed...*

Can somebody clear this up for me?

I was thinking about that too.
I'm sorry for stealing this topic, but I have a question about this.
I have been searching the internet for other class D amps and it seems that usually their 'maximum power consumption' (in VA) is LOWER than their rated output power... And they aren't just using PMPO 'fake' output watts.

For an extreme example, the PowerSoft K18, a high end PA-amp, produces 18 000 watts (9000 watts per channel) from a standard outlet, with a power consumption of 3450 VA total.
K20
http://soundforums.net/attachments/...-powersoft-digam-k3-k20-m50q-img_1271.jpg.att
http://www.tmaudio.nl/image/image_g...11-3252e704ee2f&groupId=10506&t=1373625070611

This must mean that the power output is not 'continuous' but some kind of 'peak' value.

First of all, is the power output of the TPA3116 measured in 'continuous' RMS watts or is it a peak value? And if so, what is the measuring standard used for it?

Secondly, how can we know what kind of power supply is actually NEEDED to achieve this output number? I'm not talking about sound quality...
For example, in the PowerSoft K20, assuming 100% power supply efficiency, the power supply is only producing 1/5 of the rated output power.
* If this is the case with the TPA3116, then only a 16 watt power supply would be needed...*

Can somebody clear this up for me?

I think you are confusing RMS sinus waves with music signals, standardized as pink noise measurement signals.

Music have a much lower average level than pure sine waves, in fact minimum 8 times lower (-9dB) than Wrms.

So in the case of your 18KW amp. Suppose we say it has an efficiency of about 66% which is pretty standard for a very large output class D amp with an efficient SMPS when measured with real use signals then the 18KWrms becomes (18000*3)/(2*8) 3375VA power consumption. Close enough.

The reason people seem to take notice of this and have questions is because a class AB amp has 4-5 times lower efficiency than a class D amp under the same conditions and therefore has a power consumption with music signals that is very close to the Wrms figure for the amp. So people are simply just used to wasteful power amps and think there must be something wrong when in fact it is the way they see things that are wrong.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing RMS sinus waves with music signals, standardized as pink noise measurement signals.

Music have a much lower average level than pure sine waves, in fact minimum 8 times lower (-9dB) than Wrms.

So in the case of your 18KW amp. Suppose we say it has an efficiency of about 66% which is pretty standard for a class D amp with an efficient SMPS when measured with real use signals then the 18KWrms becomes (18000*2)/(3*8) 3400VA power consumption. Close enough.

The reason people seem to take notice of this and have questions is because a class AB amp has 4-5 times lower efficiency than a class D amp under the same conditions and therefore has a power consumption with music signals that is very close to the Wrms figure for the amp. So people are simply just used to wasteful power amps and think there must be something wrong when in fact it is the way they see things that are wrong.
Thanks for your reply.
You are talking about the 'crest factor' of music right? I think I understand what you are saying here.
But, if I understand this correctly, when trying to amplify a pure sine wave with the PowerSoft amp, it would only do a fraction of the amplification of real music?

Taking this theory to the TPA3116, is the 40 w/ch measured in continuous watts or not? If not, then the power supply should be able to be a lot smaller than the rated output power of 80 watts, if I understand this completely...

Also, when I'm measuring class AB amps, most of them do reach their rated output using a pure sine wave on the input.
But using this method of measuring the output power, all amps (in particular class D) will never get beyond their power consumption VA rating ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.