Hypex UcD best upgrade ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
just put the HxR modules onto their respective slots on the amps and noticed that they are very loose... they actually wobble around quite a bit. Is there a good way of making them sit more firmly ? do they have to be soldered ?

Last edited:
How does the HxR-version sound compared to basic HG?

yes, I was just thinking of posting my first impressions. The amp has been running for about 4 hours now. I have been around and about during this time listening to the music on and off. Listening to a 128kbs stream from SomaFM.com and a 192kbs stream from radioparadise.com through a Pioneer N-50, KefLS50 combination. The pre is a simple Alps Blue pot.

At the beginning of the session I had the impression that the sound in the upper frequencies was a bit harsh. Maybe a psychologic effect I don't know since I was quite exited that the four little regulators did light up like tiny christmas trees. The soldering was ok ! Thank G for that.

After a couple of hours and a beer or two the sound really comes across as very pleasant. It is precise and warm at the same time and gives the impression to be more "stable" or "consistent" than prior to the update. There is definitely "more" (density ?) to the sound with the HxR than before.

So, yes i am very happy with the upgrade. Best of all, it seems that these two tiny, 15grs pieces of electronics remove the need for a huge expensive and heavy power conditioner ;)

more impressions: I have been listening to Nora Jones for the last hour or two. I am hearing nuances and subtleties that I have never noticed. Another example is a song from "The badly drawn boy" - "Everybody is Stalking" which starts of with a snare drum vibrating in the background... I had never noticed it before.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.