Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex nCore vs UcD400HG w/HxR. worth the price difference?
Hypex nCore vs UcD400HG w/HxR. worth the price difference?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
AMelbye is offline AMelbye  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Hypex nCore vs UcD400HG w/HxR. worth the price difference?

Hi,

I built 2 hypex UcD400HG w/HxR monoblocks about 4 or 5 years ago.
At that point the switch mode PSU had not been introduced, so I used 2 500VA toroids.

I think this amplifier sounds amazing for my studio monitors, and have decided that I must have one in the living room as well.

Since then, the price has gone down by about 30-40%, and the nCore has been introduced as the new "top of the line". The nCore costs just slightly more than the UcD400HG used to.

The specs speak for themselves, but how does this translate into practical terms? I currently own the following relevant speakers: ProAc studio 100 (for mixing), PMC LB1 (for mastering) and 90s Seas Argon (large, full-range, very enjoyable and fairly inexpensive, for the living room)

For loudspeakers at this level, will I even notice the difference between the two amplifiers?

Class A or not, is there anything else in the price range that is regarded superior to the Hypex?
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

FlyingMole DAD-100 don't run so hot in a confined space and they have the SMPS on board.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:29 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Jon, thanks for the input,

for my use heat, size and ease of build is not crucial. I'd list my priorities like this:
1. sound quality
2. reliability
3. price
4. ease of build (If I had the time I would've considered building the amp from scratch)
5. size/weight
6. power consumption

So, how does it sound?
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

EDIT: double post

Last edited by AMelbye; 23rd August 2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:49 AM   #5
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The Hypex modules are not bad at all. As you say, size is no object.
Unless the old units are faulty, I would be inclined to keep them running.
Replacement modules for them are very inexpensive.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
jacq. is offline jacq.  Canada
diyAudio Member

A good friend had the same situation with the only difference that the ps was switching ps and the difference in performance the ncore was dramaticaly better.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:34 PM   #7
thommy is offline thommy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have the nCores, and they are a significant improvement over the UCD. You will hear the difference on your speakers, no doubt. I have ATC SCM11 and the transparency and detail is greater with nCore.

They consume 4.5w at idle and are 94% efficient meaning that they do not produce much heat, and Bruno says that they can run at 80deg celcius, and in an ambient temperature of 35deg celcius without problem.

The build is extremely easy too, with the SMPS600 all cables are supplied to connect the two together. You just need to add input signal, input power, speaker output and connect NAMPON high to make the thing power up.

The size and weight is very small for both meaning that they are easy to fit where you need them. Mine are on sleds at the rear of my speaker stands.

The price is a lot for a DIY project, but you hardly ever see these amps for sale secondhand as people just want to keep them. I know several nCore owners and they all say that the search for amps is over now.

I have heard of no reliabilty concerns, and they really do sound amazing. Nothing added, nothing taken away from the signal - at least as far as my speaker can tell me anyway.
Old 23rd August 2013, 01:09 PM   #8
rondr is offline rondr  United States
diyAudio Member

Built both the UcD400HG with HxR regulators and NCore's here using SMPS's and the NCore sounds a bit more detailed in the upper frequency range. Both types are excellent amplifiers and simple to build. Here they drive stock pairs of Zaph ZRT's in sealed enclosures.
Old 24th August 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your input!

I think I'll go for the nCore
Old 25th April 2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Studio Au is offline Studio Au  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ive been eyeing the nCores, pretty much once a week since they have been released. Anyone update there opinions, worth the money...?

Hypex nCore vs UcD400HG w/HxR. worth the price difference?Hide this!Advertise here!