Hypex nCore vs UcD400HG w/HxR. worth the price difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I built 2 hypex UcD400HG w/HxR monoblocks about 4 or 5 years ago.
At that point the switch mode PSU had not been introduced, so I used 2 500VA toroids.

I think this amplifier sounds amazing for my studio monitors, and have decided that I must have one in the living room as well.

Since then, the price has gone down by about 30-40%, and the nCore has been introduced as the new "top of the line". The nCore costs just slightly more than the UcD400HG used to.

The specs speak for themselves, but how does this translate into practical terms? I currently own the following relevant speakers: ProAc studio 100 (for mixing), PMC LB1 (for mastering) and 90s Seas Argon (large, full-range, very enjoyable and fairly inexpensive, for the living room)

For loudspeakers at this level, will I even notice the difference between the two amplifiers?

Class A or not, is there anything else in the price range that is regarded superior to the Hypex?

Hi Jon, thanks for the input,

for my use heat, size and ease of build is not crucial. I'd list my priorities like this:
1. sound quality
2. reliability
3. price
4. ease of build (If I had the time I would've considered building the amp from scratch)
5. size/weight
6. power consumption

So, how does it sound?

I have the nCores, and they are a significant improvement over the UCD. You will hear the difference on your speakers, no doubt. I have ATC SCM11 and the transparency and detail is greater with nCore.

They consume 4.5w at idle and are 94% efficient meaning that they do not produce much heat, and Bruno says that they can run at 80deg celcius, and in an ambient temperature of 35deg celcius without problem.

The build is extremely easy too, with the SMPS600 all cables are supplied to connect the two together. You just need to add input signal, input power, speaker output and connect NAMPON high to make the thing power up.

The size and weight is very small for both meaning that they are easy to fit where you need them. Mine are on sleds at the rear of my speaker stands.

The price is a lot for a DIY project, but you hardly ever see these amps for sale secondhand as people just want to keep them. I know several nCore owners and they all say that the search for amps is over now.

I have heard of no reliabilty concerns, and they really do sound amazing. Nothing added, nothing taken away from the signal - at least as far as my speaker can tell me anyway.

Built both the UcD400HG with HxR regulators and NCore's here using SMPS's and the NCore sounds a bit more detailed in the upper frequency range. Both types are excellent amplifiers and simple to build. Here they drive stock pairs of Zaph ZRT's in sealed enclosures.

Ooh, planning a summer meet up with a few audio 'nerds' fancy joining?

My two (mono i guess) test speakers, pairs to follow, thinking the nCore will allow a huge headroom for the woofers and crystal clear midrange for the compression drivers. More horn designs to follow.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've just embarked on a Hypex binge-spending fest, building a multichannel amp for home cinema use, or rather multiple 2 and 3 channel amps.

I've designed my own enclosures for them - they're 180mm wide, 88mm tall and 300mm deep from 2mm thick aluminium so you can have two side by side on a shelf. Cost is approx £70 per case - but pricing would be lower I think if I simplified a few things like removing custom logo, number of holes (if you only wanted a particular type of amp), vent slots (playing it safe for the first build)...

This was my final case design:
3202562822_cP47VTp-L.png

My build revolves around:
- 1 amp enclosure comprised of 2x nCore 400 powered by a single SMPS 600
- 1 amp enclosure comprised of 3x UcD 400 with HxR powered by a single SMPS1200
- 1 amp enclosure comprised of 2x UcD 400 with HxR powered by a single SMPS1200

The idea is that the enclosure has all the holes ready to accommodate both nCore and UcD designs, SMPS400, 600 and 1200 PSUs, so a "one chassis fits all". The back has holes for 3 XLR inputs so if only two channels are used, then you do have a spare hole. But the benefit is that the case can be used for all the configurations, so it's quite flexible.

I'm in Reading, so just an hour from Bristol. Happy to meet up if you want :)

edit: there's a long post I made on avforums about the build if you want to read up.

Last edited:
Unlike the Flying Mole Class D amplifiers, the Hypex range are not repairable. I find they run very hot when in a small enclosure, due to the bias on the output Fets being set too high in the factory.
Jon, I did have one UcD that failed on me (a UcD180 HG) - a cap had failed rather catastrophically.

I contacted Hypex and they immediately asked me to send it back for repair which I did. A week or so later, a new module arrived. No questions asked. So in the case where they do fail, my personal experience with their CS has been good :)

How much did that Hypex build set you back!?

Would love to hear them.

Would probably do something similar ncores for the high/full range more powerful amps for the woofers.
I benefited from some good pricing on the UcD modules as I opened a trade account with them and as I bought them through my business which is VAT registered, I saved on the tax too. Although you do need to remember to add around €30-40 for UPS shipping and a further 3% of the total amount if paying by credit card or paypal.

Hypex don't offer discounts for the nCore stuff though so it's roughly €850 plus, shipping and payment costs for a stereo nCore setup (2 amps + 1 SMPS). Plus cables, connectors and enclosure. So maybe £1000 / €1200 all in.

I've yet to hear them - in fact, I could lash something up quickly with the ncores and smps as it's all pretty much plug and play. The enclosures, with a bit of luck, will arrive in time for a build next weekend.

The nCores are a fair bit more expensive, but clearly a lot of thought has gone in the design and they are well assembled.

Here's a photo I took of one I received
3199892963_JmxjQGC-L.jpg

The UcDs have specific Hypex branded caps, etc.
3199893020_x27rfkz-L.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.