TPA3116D2 Amp

I assume you talk about the value of the resistors. I often use 4K7, you propose 10K which will make little difference. What is important is that the previous stage (probably a pre-amplifier) can handle that impedance as load and that the (eventual) capacitor in the output of the previous stage has a value large enough to ensure a correctly low cut-off frequency of the capacitor with the impedance you choose. I typically design for around 5Hz.
The argument for a low impedance value is less TPA3116 noise (hiss) and less sensitivity to radiated hum.

Last edited:
OK. good. I did implement the 10K (I had a 10K SIP resistor sitting on my bench so it was super easy) and I didn't notice a huge improvement.

Unfortunately, my previous stage is a "weak" output from the miniDSP being used as an active crossover (which is apparently unbalanced .9v RMS, (2.5Vp-p) with 560 ohm output impedance)

Maybe the "guess and check" method isn't good enough here. What else do I need to share to figure it out?

the 3116 is running in 26db gain mode with 4.6uF input caps. The speakers are 8ohm

Power supply is 24V, 6A (noisy, but that's another matter)

Here is the board I’m discussing:

I removed the op amp and added sync to another board, plus remote turn on via the SDZ pin.

Attachments

• E8F07EE7-CB14-4D88-967F-9FBE8219C598.jpg
    E8F07EE7-CB14-4D88-967F-9FBE8219C598.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 346
5) The rear side of the board is cleaned with isopropyl alcohol. Use a soft brush and hold the board vertically such that the alcohol drips off in a corner.

* On the output of my power adapter I have some further 10000uF.

Hi FF
Please, I have 2 questions:
1) why to clean the rear side of the board with isopropyl alcohol?
2) what kind of 10000uf capacitor you are using for The power supply output?

Thanks in advance
Udi

I clean the board with isopropyl alcohol in order to get the remains of flux away from the board. Most of the boards look "greasy" when you let the light fall on the board at an angle. After cleaning, you can make the board look nice and shiny. I also do this when I have been soldering myself.
As I recall, the 10000uF is marked "Rubicon". It does not need to be a top-quality low-ESR capacitor.

If you are going to use it only for this TPA3116 amplifier, 35V rating is fine. I use my large external decoupling capacitors for more different amplifier constructions (and transformers) so I often go for 50V or 63V.
Rubicon or Nichicon (not the expensive golden ones) is sufficient. They mainly serve as charge-buffer for lower frequencies. The decoupling capacitors on the board itself take the main part of the switching ripple.

out of inductors

hi all, i'm having trouble to find good inductors and caps in México, i have a tpa3116d2 stereo board, i´m willing to change output low pass filter inductors from 33uH to 10uH and caps to 1.2 uF, but there are no good choices here, does someone knows if i can use some dc dc powersuply inductors, like this one:

Shielded
10 uH +/- 20%
dc current 13 A
dcr 15.8 mOhms
saturation 15 A
duty temperature - 55 C <> + 155 C

and for caps can find normal polyester only:(

DC-to-DC converter chokes can be used if the DC-DC converter operate at a switching frequency above 500KHz. DC-DC converters in general operate(d) at switching frequencies in the range 50Khz to 2 MHz so many chokes are not useful. The choke characteristics you show are fine.

Why not normal polyester? The TPA3116 chip is very good value-for-money but not a top-performance product. Polyester should do.

1) I notice some 2.1 amps have a subwoofer frequency dial and some don't. From what I read on forums it isn't a proper crossover or cutoff?
Is the subwoofer frequency dial just a gimmick? Or actually useful?
2) Can a 4 channel amp be used as 2.1?
Hi Mejobloggs,

Everybody has to start somewhere, but if you have to ask what you need to get the 2.1 board, you linked to, to work, I suspect you lack some basic knowledge. Be careful, you're working with mains current!

This board needs a single 12 - 24V DC powersupply; if you have a 19V spare laptop power supply lying around, provided it can deliver 6-8A.
I've just assembled one of these boards, minus the bluetooth (=cheaper) and used a 18V 4,4A toroid transformer, with a rectifier board to get the required 24VDC, works like a charm, but in hindsight, a higher VA transformer (more current) would have been better, as this board has two TDA chips, which each can draw 100W, so twice the VA allows you to play (even) louder.

I also tested with a 24V 6A switching power supply (basically a laptop brick minus the plastic housing), which also worked well, but could not deliver sufficient juice to play at full power; the built in protection shuts down the subwoofer section first and if you don't turn the volume down, the entire amp.
The same happens when I push the 18V4,4A toroid to it's limit.

1) I found that the controls on this board allow me to adjust the sound very easily, due to the fact that you can choose the cut-off frequency and volume for the subwoofer, making it blend with your stereo speakers.
As far as I'm concerned, it's not a gimmick.

2) Basically yes, but you'll need a seperate low pass filter, similar to what's in the 2.1 board, to feed the subwoofer frequencies to two of the four channels.
Not knowing how such a 4 channel board is configurated, I'd use a subwoofer speaker with two voice coils, each driven by one of the two four channels, or two subwoofer speakers.

Regards, Jan.

Last edited:
Hi to all, I'd need an help.
I wanted to buy an amplifier for these speakers, since I already have m100 dac I wanted to take an smsl sa100 but I read everywhere that tpa3116 has noise issues. Is it true? I'm a newby and I don't want to modify anything on the board. So I'm stuck to the same question: 3116 or 3250?

I dont have any issues of hiss with the SMSL SA100. It works perfectly with Fx Audio Tube-03 preamp. Lowest noise system i haver ever heard and sounding awesome when grounded properly. Its hard to modifiy SMSL SA100 board, it is quality made and only a few smd capacitors. Go and get SA100, it is quality amp and forget the Audio Science Review which made people believe SA100 is so bad without even hearing the amp. Also supplied switching mode power supply 19v/6A is good quality. I wonder if TPA3116 sounds better with a linear psu, maybe worth to try toroidal transformer?

Hello.I am thinking of buying my first class D amp generally based on TPA3116D2.There are many posts and difficult to read all of them.Is this a good and reliable PCB design to buy ? Any downsides of this board? model is XH-M590

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 279
Last edited: