TPA3116D2 Amp

What is it you do not like about the frequency response?
What do you use as source for the amplifier.
What do you use as power supply (voltage and max. power please)?
What is your speaker impedance?
The frequency response seems poor at high frequencies.
The source is either a Pi 1b and Pi core player feeding into a PCM2704 usb Dac. Or Thin client, dual core, running Daphile into the same PCM2704 Dac.
I have another Dac, a ES9018k2m SA9023 usb and that is worse on all amps I have tried so far.
The rail voltage is 12v up to 3.5 amps. and the speakers are sony 4 ohms. Not special in any way.
I complain as when I run either input to a NAD C326BEE amp and same speakers the high frequencies are acceptable to me for a workshop system.
I have also compared the same inputs and speakers and rail voltage with this ebay item no
192431666420 and it was better and acceptable.

Last edited:
The frequency response seems poor at high frequencies.
The source is either a Pi 1b and Pi core player feeding into a PCM2704 usb Dac. Or Thin client, dual core, running Daphile into the same PCM2704 Dac.
I have another Dac, a ES9018k2m SA9023 usb and that is worse on all amps I have tried so far.
The rail voltage is 12v up to 3.5 amps. and the speakers are sony 4 ohms. Not special in any way.
I complain as when I run either input to a NAD C326BEE amp and same speakers the high frequencies are acceptable to me for a workshop system.
I have also compared the same inputs and speakers and rail voltage with this ebay item no
192431666420 and it was better and acceptable.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for a detailed reply that helps us understand the circumstances.
From what you mention, I see nothing that necessarily causes poor high frequencies.
12V supply is not enormous but if you still have poor high frequencies at low volume, that is not the reason. I have a TPA3116 amplifier looking very much like the second one you mention but not the one causing you problems. The difference between the two is that the second has two TPA3116 chips while the first only one. Also, the second has better filter chokes is my guess.
If you really want to spend time and money on improving such a cheap TPA3116 board, change the filter chokes as the first.

What is the impedance of your speakers?
Do you have the possibility to try it with a supply voltage of 12-19Vdc? (moderate listening level)

tested it out with these
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
4 ohms

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
6ohms

8ohms

the amp in question.Facebook

i ordered a dc-dc regulator few days ago. it arrived yesterday. as we speak i dialed it down to 19v and its still getting cut out. my other tpa31162d with 24v 6amps smps doesnt have this issue. sorry for not providing useful innfo. as im not that knowledgeable when it comes to class d or electronics in general.

Many thanks for the nice photos. They seem like nice speakers.
The reason I asked for the speaker impedance is that very low speaker impedance requires high currents and that may cause the over-current protection to be invoked and help on heating of the chip such that the temperature protection may become active. Your speakers do not have an impedance below 4 Ohm which is fine.
I asked you to try the lower supply voltage (12V-19V) because, from my own experience, the TPA3116 starts becoming warm above 19V supply and that again may affect the thermal protection. Also, 24V is close to the maximum supply voltage of 26V such that the over-voltage protection may activate if the 24V supply starts swinging (not oscillating) which is usual with a varying consumption. You tried the 19V and that did not help. Had you used batteries as supply, the under-voltage protection may activate because some batteries react slowly.

So, lets check the input DC-level protection. Do you have two resistors with a value between 2K2 and 10K? If yes, connect these two resistors across the amplifier input (signal line to signal ground) and try playing again using your 19V supply + 8 Ohm speakers.
As you can see, there are many "protections" integrated in a class D chip and we need to see if any of those disturb operation.

Last edited:
Total noob here...

I'm about to assemble my very first amp. My objective is to try and make a decent and CHEAP amp while my main amp is out for repairs. The board (XH M572 - see pic) is built around the TPA3116D2 chip.

It should be delivered in a few days along with the connectors (speaker, RCA, power). I intend to power it with a laptop power supply I have lying around (12V, I think). While I was researching on how to go about this, I came across some issues that I hope you guys can help me with.

1. I intend to house it in a wood cigar box which I already have. Should I line it with aluminum foil/copper/etc. as some threads suggest (with differing opinions on what material to use, of course)? I happen to have some aluminum tape. If this is advisable, should I line the entire interior (bottom, sides, top) of the wood box?

2. Internal Wiring (Power) - Can I use 1.6mm/16AWG Solid Copper Wire (THHN) to connect the board to the power supply socket?

3. Internal Wiring (Signal Input) - The board comes with a 3p Audio Cable (R+, L+, Common Ground). As I will be using Female RCA Jacks/Connectors, I intend to cut off the connector on one end of the cable to solder directly to the jacks. The R+ and L+ shouldn't be a problem. What's the best way to to connect the ground (as I will only have one wire). Can I just run a wire to connect both grounds and solder said wire to the exposed end of the 3p cable?

By the way, I intend to use CAT5e cable for this. how many twisted pairs would be recommended?

4. Internal Wiring (Speaker Output) - I again intend to use CAT5e cable for this. how many pairs is recommended? Or would I be better off with using speaker cables instead? I also have some THHN Electrical wire. Would that be suitable to use as well?

Again, apologies for my noobish questions. I know I shouldn't expect much from this project with the money I've put in (I'm around $12 into it) but I really want to get it right the first time.

P.S. I intend to get a better power supply if I get the amp to work right. Aside from the power supply, would replacing any components on the board itself yield improvements in the sound?

Last edited:
Attached are pictures of the board I'm using..

Attachments

• tpa3116d2 top view.jpg
    tpa3116d2 top view.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 181
  • tpa3116d2 bottom.jpg
    tpa3116d2 bottom.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 173
Total noob here...
Most start like that.:)

I'm about to assemble my very first amp. My objective is to try and make a decent and CHEAP amp while my main amp is out for repairs. The board (XH M572 - see pic) is built around the TPA3116D2 chip.
Seems OK.

It should be delivered in a few days along with the connectors (speaker, RCA, power). I intend to power it with a laptop power supply I have lying around (12V, I think). While I was researching on how to go about this, I came across some issues that I hope you guys can help me with.
Laptop supplies are often 19V and that is fine for the TPA3116.

1. I intend to house it in a wood cigar box which I already have. Should I line it with aluminum foil/copper/etc. as some threads suggest (with differing opinions on what material to use, of course)? I happen to have some aluminum tape. If this is advisable, should I line the entire interior (bottom, sides, top) of the wood box?
If you can make a conductive lining where all parts of the lining are electrically connected together it leaves you the possibility of shielding. Shielding may improve noise performance and reduce EMI.

2. Internal Wiring (Power) - Can I use 1.6mm/16AWG Solid Copper Wire (THHN) to connect the board to the power supply socket?
Yes, if you can manage to drag the rather thick wire around in your box and solder it to the terminals.

3. Internal Wiring (Signal Input) - The board comes with a 3p Audio Cable (R+, L+, Common Ground). As I will be using Female RCA Jacks/Connectors, I intend to cut off the connector on one end of the cable to solder directly to the jacks. The R+ and L+ shouldn't be a problem. What's the best way to to connect the ground (as I will only have one wire). Can I just run a wire to connect both grounds and solder said wire to the exposed end of the 3p cable?
I do not understand. A sketch?

By the way, I intend to use CAT5e cable for this. how many twisted pairs would be recommended?
CAT5e cable is not particularly suited. Can you get your hands on audio cable - 2 wires with shield?

4. Internal Wiring (Speaker Output) - I again intend to use CAT5e cable for this. how many pairs is recommended? Or would I be better off with using speaker cables instead? I also have some THHN Electrical wire. Would that be suitable to use as well?
CAT5e cable is not suited for speaker use. Use speaker wire.

Again, apologies for my noobish questions. I know I shouldn't expect much from this project with the money I've put in (I'm around $12 into it) but I really want to get it right the first time.
Clever to ask (and read) before doing.;)

P.S. I intend to get a better power supply if I get the amp to work right. Aside from the power supply, would replacing any components on the board itself yield improvements in the sound?
Listen to advise from others. I have no experience with that board. Add some power-line decoupling capacitance.

Last edited:
Laptop supplies are often 19V and that is fine for the TPA3116.

Sorry, got mixed up. I have a 19V laptop power supply. :)

If you can make a conductive lining where all parts of the lining are electrically connected together it leaves you the possibility of shielding. Shielding may improve noise performance and reduce EMI.

Thanks for this! So I guess I'll be lining the entire interior of the box with the foil tape. I know this isn't ideal but I'm pretty much trying to work with what I have on hand. Will check conductivity on all sides.

Yes, if you can manage to drag the rather thick wire around in your box and solder it to the terminals.

Haha, yeah, the wire is pretty thick and hard to manipulate but I'll give it a go. In case this becomes too cumbersome, what size of wire would be advisable for this application? Would it matter if it were stranded or solid core?

I do not understand. A sketch?

Kindly disregard. I saw an example of this on another thread.

CAT5e cable is not particularly suited. Can you get your hands on audio cable - 2 wires with shield?

Ok, will do. Thanks!

CAT5e cable is not suited for speaker use. Use speaker wire.

Ok..... So um.... is "audio wire" different from "speaker wire"? :confused:

Last edited: