TPA3116D2 Amp

FauxFrench
I thought you would be interested in my first impression of the 3116D2 amps I received that were mentioned above. As I suspected the chip is the highest profile part on the board so there is no possible obstruction for any sized heatsink from the board itself. I used two low ripple computer supplies in parallel to get 24V and lapped CPU heatsinks mounted tightly with zip ties to run the amp through its paces. The amp is noisy and very powerful. It drove my nearly catatonic 84dB speakers to respectable levels and didn't seem to run out of juice (4.2R impedance minimum). The heatsink did get pretty warm running just under clipping for 2hrs. but there was no sign of instability. With more efficient speakers, I suspect the noise would be intolerable. I think these amps are a very good bang for the buck $5 but they need help. In my next test, I will connect the speakers in parallel to see if the lack of supply capacitance is a problem. Does anyone else have these little amps?

dellama
You write: "I used two low ripple computer supplies in parallel" and "The amp is noisy....".
When I read your message, I connected my TPA3116D2 board and even with my ear in front of the loudspeaker I heard no noise. Two supplies in parallel may be worse than one because they may start pumping energy into one another. Use only one for a start. I use a 19V, 90W standard laptop charger, with 10000uF at the output, for supply of the TPA3116D2 board and there is neither hiss, nor hum.
You have different gain settings for the TPA3116D2 chip and I have read that high gain levels may result in quite some hiss.
I also paid around $5 for a complete board where nothing needs replacement or add-on. My board sounds about as good as my 2x30W Marantz. Absolutely value for money

Last edited:
dellama
You write: "I used two low ripple computer supplies in parallel" and "The amp is noisy....".
When I read your message, I connected my TPA3116D2 board and even with my ear in front of the loudspeaker I heard no noise. Two supplies in parallel may be worse than one because they may start pumping energy into one another. Use only one for a start. I use a 19V, 90W standard laptop charger, with 10000uF at the output, for supply of the TPA3116D2 board and there is neither hiss, nor hum.
You have different gain settings for the TPA3116D2 chip and I have read that high gain levels may result in quite some hiss.
I also paid around $5 for a complete board where nothing needs replacement or add-on. My board sounds about as good as my 2x30W Marantz. Absolutely value for money
Same experience here. These are wonderful boards for their price.

SanjeevM
Did you do any of the mods described by FauxFrench? Namely:
1. 10mF on the input pins
2. replace ceramic input caps with foil
3. use thiele/zobel values
Is your board like the one I linked on the prior page or more similar to the one described by FauxFrench which is slightly different?

FauxFrench
Yes, the reports indicate the gain should not exceed 26dB with a 24V supply. I imagine 20dB would be more appropriate with a laptop supply. I will look through my parts box for an old laptop supply to wire in and report again after I confirm the gain configured on this board. Those with this board could help by reporting their gain structure resistor values.

Thanks to both of you for your input.

Last edited:
SanjeevM
Did you do any of the mods described by FauxFrench? Namely:
1. 10mF on the input pins
2. replace ceramic input caps with foil
3. use thiele/zobel values
Is your board like the one I linked on the prior page or more similar to the one described by FauxFrench which is slightly different?

FauxFrench
Yes, the reports indicate the gain should not exceed 26dB with a 24V supply. I imagine 20dB would be more appropriate with a laptop supply. I will look through my parts box for an old laptop supply to wire in and report again after I confirm the gain configured on this board. Those with this board could help by reporting their gain structure resistor values.

Thanks to both of you for your input.
I didn't have to do any mods as my board, XH-M189 performed very well out of the box. Secondly, I can't solder these boards, so I never experimented.

Does anyone have Breeze Audio BA100 with double TPA3116 2*100W?
This amplifier has noise from loudspeaker even w/o plugged input signal at all, just plugged speakers and power supply.
I tried different power supplies 12v, 24v and power with accumulators but no effect. So i guess the problem is not in power supply.
Maybe someone knows the solution, it will be great. Please help.

The board of amplifier: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB18CljSXXXXXX9apXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg?size=611993&height=800&width=800&hash=e9752752efbd3c4e64a20ef3a8a8fb37

Does anyone have Breeze Audio BA100 with double TPA3116 2*100W?
This amplifier has noise from loudspeaker even w/o plugged input signal at all, just plugged speakers and power supply.
I tried different power supplies 12v, 24v and power with accumulators but no effect. So i guess the problem is not in power supply.
Maybe someone knows the solution, it will be great. Please help.
Here the board:https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB18CljSXXXXXX9apXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg?size=611993&height=800&width=800&hash=e9752752efbd3c4e64a20ef3a8a8fb37

This high impedance / noise issue usually shows up with boards that have a 50K pot on them.

Lower noise is seen with the pots at low volume end of travel.

Some have changed to 10K or lower pots to improve the situation.

Some just run the pots at the top end (full volume) and control the volume with their source.

Noted many times in the 3116/3118 threads.

Last edited:
This high impedance / noise issue usually shows up with boards that have a 50K pot on them.

Yes, maybe there is low quality potentiometer installed here, but I tied set it to max volume and noise from speakers became louder (when it set to 0 the noise also exist but lower).
Is it worth it to try to get rid of it at all? Solder out from the board. And which potentiometer can you recommend to install, link please.

It seems to be this one (sorry for the long URL):
OEP50W*2 Mini Digital Amplifier Board Module Diy Amplifier Kit 50Wx2 Super TDA7498 TPA3116D2-in Integrated Circuits from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

For the exact schematics I do not know. Normally the datasheet (TI) shows a schematic that is close to what is sold from Asia as many of their cheap boards are copies of circuits found around. But, for that price you cannot expect documentation. The output filter has clearly been left out for this board.

I am building putting together the Yang Jing blue 50w/50w amp. I am using a switched 24 VDC 5A power supply. What I want to do is add a on/off switch with a fused link between the board and plug. I am better at building speakers then building boards, so I would like to know what I should be looking for as far as the switch and fused link?