TPA3116D2 Amp

"nominal" 4 ohm load ?

Under the "Recommended Operating Conditions" (sec 6.3 of the datasheet), it makes mention of a 3.2 ohm minimum load (BTL, 10uh & 680nf filter).
Does anyone have any feedback with running a "nominal" 4 ohm load with this amp ? (YJ BB).
Just asking in efforts to avoid the amplifier going kaput or at worse, damaging speakers.

Last edited:
I got one of those boards and saw the resistors wrong. I changed them to 100k and 39k which would put it in Master mode.

Unfortunately my board was defective from the start. I thought maybe the resistors were causing the strange oscillation I was seeing on the scope. But no such luck. The board completely died after 30 minutes.

I opened a separate post about the board a week or so ago. If you look, you will find it.

I bought the red dual chip board and the right channel didn't work.
2X100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V 24V for Arduino | eBay
There is a faint click upon turn on and the left channel does that but there's nothing on the right. I tried switching speakers and it's the same. If it is bad connector, most likely the right channel would be noisy or something like that. But this is nothing at all. Could it be the pot, female 3.5mm socket, or the chip itself?

I bought the red dual chip board and the right channel didn't work.
2X100W TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel Digital Audio Amplifier Board 12V 24V for Arduino | eBay
There is a faint click upon turn on and the left channel does that but there's nothing on the right. I tried switching speakers and it's the same. If it is bad connector, most likely the right channel would be noisy or something like that. But this is nothing at all. Could it be the pot, female 3.5mm socket, or the chip itself?

If you purchased it from a EB vendor, just return it instead of spending time trying to figure out what's wrong. One can spend a lot of time without getting anywhere. My 2 cents.

Regards,

Smallest / Worst TPA3116 board

I ordered one of these tiny TPA3116 boards for ~$4.50 and it arrived today.

I didn't have high expectations, but I thought it might be good for playing with different input and output filter arrangements. Now that I have it and I'm looking at it closely, I'm starting to doubt it will be good for anything. I'll probably play with it a bit at some point though.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 663
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
I ordered one of these tiny TPA3116 boards for ~$4.50 and it arrived today.

I didn't have high expectations, but I thought it might be good for playing with different input and output filter arrangements. Now that I have it and I'm looking at it closely, I'm starting to doubt it will be good for anything. I'll probably play with it a bit at some point though.

Interesting. Have not seen this one before. Did not see the usual output LC filter. Probably use a ferrite bead??

On my 2.1 TPA3116, I pushing a maximum of 70+w at ~25.6v into a 4 ohm woofer on the PTBL sub channel. Has worked at high volume for many hours now. If I had to, I could do this on a single channel and not use the other.

The max rating for each single channel at 50w (total 100w both channels driven) is the TPA3116's thermal dissipation limit.

I like this board. I've had two and both worked as advertised. It's a little light on the very low end bass because of a filter cap (easily modified). I've reverse engineered the sub's fixed2nd order low pass filter (stock: butterworth @107hz). I modified the filters F0 and Q by replacing two thru-hole poly box caps.

2.1 Amp Front.jpg

Amp Schematic.jpg