Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116D2 Amp
TPA3116D2 Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2020, 07:01 AM   #11651
jasonhanjk is offline jasonhanjk  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmann View Post
While prying off the heatsink I ripped an smd capacitor off.
The capacitor connects to ground on one side and through a 100k resistor to pin 2 and 3 on the other.

I believe it must be C58 in the datasheet schematic. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed so?
Can safely ignore it.
Maybe you will hear power on pop.
Old 16th September 2020, 03:48 AM   #11652
king4joy is offline king4joy  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
Sorry for the late reply.

Thankyou for the schematic, it is NEVER too late, my friend.

Do I connect the speakers to the same board the same ?

Can I use the schematic on my T amp ( TA 2024 ) ?
Old 16th September 2020, 04:12 AM   #11653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxFrench View Post
Sorry for the late reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trileru View Post
Sorry I just realized, if you have this type of inductor:

on the amp you wish to buy, then it's pretty simple to remove with a soldering iron, and it's also pretty simple to modify, especially if you have a larger value and wish a lower value. just take out some turns.

You could math it out, and one extra/less turn shouldn't matter as long as you plan to shoot for anywhere between 10-15uH.

I thought your amp has the enclosed inductor type.

If you want to diy audio stuff you should really get at least something like this:

LCR-T4 ESR Meter Transistor Tester Diode Triode Capacitance SCR Inductance | eBay
Helps alot with measuring parts. It's not precise but it's better than nothing. Should be good enough to tell you if your inductor is 10uH or 20uH for example. That way you can take out turns and measure and see when you get close to 10uH.

The Tester is a very good idea, I wish I have known about it say 20 years ago. I will get one now for sure.

When I am shopping for 10 uH chokes, I come across two 10 uH chokes with difference number of turns, from the same supplier :

10 uH, 5 uH loaded, RDC 5 m ohm, IAC 10 A, diameter of wire 1.3mm x 12 turns (at only USD$0.3 each + shipping)

and
10 uH, RDC 17 m ohm, IAC 9A, diameter of wire 1.2 mm x 32 turns. ( at US$0.6 each)

The supplier says the difference in the number of turns is because of difference material is used for the cores.

Which choke should we pick for our application ?

Without considering the material used, I would pick the cheaper one, for a shorter signal path, and a lower RDC.
Old 16th September 2020, 04:18 AM   #11654
diyAudio Member

And according to the AWG chart, a 1.3 mm diameter wire, a 16AWG wire, is rated only at 3.7 A, and not 10A as claimed by the choke supplier.

Is it good enough for our application please ?
Old 16th September 2020, 06:55 AM   #11655
Trileru is offline Trileru  Romania
diyAudio Member

at 17mOhm at 3.5A you have a voltage drop of about 0.06V and about 0.2W dissipated as heat.

I say get whichever you want, it's the same thing if they have the same value. You don't know what their Isat is, and judging by the first one specs, I'd say that 5uH loaded means an Isat is low. Maybe the more expensive one has a better core. Dunno, without complete specs it's hard to judge.
Old 16th September 2020, 08:02 PM   #11656
FauxFrench is offline FauxFrench  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king4joy View Post
Thankyou for the schematic, it is NEVER too late, my friend.

Do I connect the speakers to the same board the same ?

Can I use the schematic on my T amp ( TA 2024 ) ?
You need to connect two dummy power resistors (proposed 6 Ohm) at the two regular speaker outputs when you use the headphone.

This headphone schematic can be used on any class D amplifier with BTL output and a single supply voltage. The voltage rating of the 220uF capacitors needs to be at least the supply voltage. For TA2024, you can use 16V or higher.
Old 16th September 2020, 11:06 PM   #11657
Kyrk is offline Kyrk  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervest View Post
While this is a popular module, the components are cheap and often broken/faulty. Those 50k pots are dirty from the factory and need to be replaced, and most of the filter caps on the output will be out of spec.

I've made a video covering the previous revision (without BT) but nearly the same design showing how poor quality they are, and I'm in the process of trying to figure out why the L/R channel have a high-pass filter removing all low frequency, regardless of the "ALL-FREQ/NORMAL" switch position that seems to do nothing.
Hey mate sorry for the late reply. In your video you dont test the main volume/powerswitch pot. Is that a 50k pot as well because i really need to change replace mine but i cant seem to find a suitable replacement on the net. I can find the exact same stereo 50k pots and a 10k pot with a switch. Would you recon that the pots you can find in online retailers are the same as the ones on the board or maybe the ones on the board are some clones?( ALPS RK09712100AV 2 Ways Potentiometer 50k 20% - Audiophonics Potentiometer ALPS RK09 10k 2 way + Switch 3A - Audiophonics) 20% tolerance doesnt seem great. I would have used another pot but i cannot find any with an integrated switch
  Reply to this post

TPA3116D2 AmpHide this!Advertise here!