Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

TPA3116D2 Amp
TPA3116D2 Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2013, 12:20 AM   #1021
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Tse View Post
Along this line, I hope someone could summarise all the mods that had been reported and rank them in terms of "biggest bang for the bucks" and/or providing "the most noticible improvement in sound". Such a summary will invaluable to everyone following this thread.

Regards,
That would be nice too.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:40 AM   #1022
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
That would be nice too.
I don't think there's any real consensus around the mods other than around 21v being a sweet spot for power and bypassing/replacing the volume pot.
Old 21st December 2013, 12:50 AM   #1023
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
I don't think there's any real consensus around the mods other than around 21v being a sweet spot for power and bypassing/replacing the volume pot.
I thought soemone also suggested the use of certain input capacitors or inductors.

Regards,
Old 21st December 2013, 01:07 AM   #1024
wushuliu is offline wushuliu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo_Tse View Post
I thought soemone also suggested the use of certain input capacitors or inductors.

Regards,
Yeah, but no real consensus since there are so many variables (ceramic caps vs polyprop, etc shielded/unshielded inductors, inductor values and so on...). The best reference IMO are the two TI pdfs - the one for the TPA3116 and then the one on Class D amps with recommended filter values.
Old 21st December 2013, 07:49 PM   #1025
PsychoM is offline PsychoM  Belgium
diyAudio Member

My Yuan Jing board arrived today.
I have to say, I am quite blown away by it. I tested it on a pair of Kef C55's.
I wasn't able to listen for a long time, and I used a crappy 9V adapter...
I don't have high end hi-fi amplifiers to compare it with, but the TPA3116 is at least as good as my Kenwood KR-4140 and my Realistic STA-225 and it's muuuch better than my Yamaha RX-396.
I like the clarity and treble, the stereo image. Imho, there is no lack of bass at all. I can hear that's something not 100% right in male vocals. But all in all, a very good amplifier for 15$...

I didn't mod the board at all. In fact, I already have bought some parts to mod it with, but after I have heard it without mods, I'm not sure I'm going to mod it after all...
I want to say this: to all the people who think it needs to modded to make it sound good (I did): it doesn't. It sounds so good out of the box.

But, of course, there's always room for improvement.

I'm going to listen to it with different power supplies, and maybe mod it. I'll post my findings here (but it's going to take a while).
Old 22nd December 2013, 12:33 PM   #1026
Hammett is offline Hammett  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post

I doubt enough people have tried the various mods for a consensus to develop. These really are new boards and I think are just in their infancy (unless TI comes out with something better). There is a lot of potential in this family of chips.

I can agree with PsychoM that these amps do not need to be modified to sound good. I am running one wholly original amp on my downstairs setup and enjoying it daily.

I do think that the mods improve the amp, but mostly by refining the basic sound a bit (reducing glare, increasing transparency in my case).

You don't have to go crazy with effort or money to improve the sound in pleasing ways.

That said, there are people with greater skills than mine having a fine time by doing more radical mods and I have no doubt that they are reaping the benefits. This is a really fine basic design.
Old 22nd December 2013, 02:47 PM   #1027
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammett View Post
I doubt enough people have tried the various mods for a consensus to develop. These really are new boards and I think are just in their infancy (unless TI comes out with something better). There is a lot of potential in this family of chips.

I can agree with PsychoM that these amps do not need to be modified to sound good. I am running one wholly original amp on my downstairs setup and enjoying it daily.

I do think that the mods improve the amp, but mostly by refining the basic sound a bit (reducing glare, increasing transparency in my case).

You don't have to go crazy with effort or money to improve the sound in pleasing ways.

That said, there are people with greater skills than mine having a fine time by doing more radical mods and I have no doubt that they are reaping the benefits. This is a really fine basic design.

Totally agree!!

In my opinion, this little amp easily beats out all the commercial integrated amps in the a few hundred dollars price range. Granted one don't get a nice looking chasis and other functionalities e.g. switching.

Regards,
Old 22nd December 2013, 05:01 PM   #1028
smile2 is offline smile2
diyAudio Member

I have the stock yj 2.0 board. 20V and used without the pot meter. I have the impression that the amp sounds better now then new. Furthermore i have the impression the sound improves after an hour of use. Is it just me? or have others the same experience?
Old 23rd December 2013, 01:06 AM   #1029
fritznet is offline fritznet
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile2 View Post
I have the stock yj 2.0 board. 20V and used without the pot meter. I have the impression that the amp sounds better now then new. Furthermore i have the impression the sound improves after an hour of use. Is it just me? or have others the same experience?

Exactly the same experience, not only for this board but also for previous tripath based boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrabbit View Post
Hi !

75mm x 75mm 4 layer. A bit more expensive but i wanted a dedicated GND PLANE.

Stereo configuration.

I liked the grounding better on the 3118.

Wima PPS smd 2824 (black caps).

Designed for a 6 ohm load. 22uh & 1uf LC FILTER.

Here is another angle. I am waiting for the battery to arrive. I will be using a LIFEPO4 4 cell design from batteryspace.

Thanks for the kind words
I'm hoping that some day it will be possible to have one of this beautiful boards...

Last edited by fritznet; 23rd December 2013 at 01:11 AM. Reason: merged two posts
Old 23rd December 2013, 08:02 AM   #1030
Wonderfull is offline Wonderfull  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've had a good read through this thread and have come away really interested in getting a tpa3116/8 based amp up and running.

Although I'm sure I'm amongst the many that would love to buy some of happyrabbit's lovely looking pcb's, which of the current ebay pcb's are considered to be better than others, just in case our wishes don't come true

I'm only interested in 2 channels, may also consider bridged boards.

Pending the inevitable twitchy fingers, it seems that the most immediate mod is to replace the local de-coupling electrolytics on the chips is the first port of call?

TPA3116D2 AmpHide this!Advertise here!