Adam A7x amp type?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On google for Adam "A7x amp" it find this,

adam-a7x-3.jpg

But here is what Adam have to say about their amps/D class on the woofer, and A/B on the tweeter,

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is prooly for S3x since is 3 way, but it should be very similar to A7x just 2 way, as far as i see in the first pic that is transformer based AMP, and here is what Adam says about their recent D class amps,

"The ADAM units use the new technology for both the amp and the power supply section (i.e. no more transformers) combined with state of the art input and filter sections to achieve the best in multi-channel active studio monitoring"

I'm a bit worried, i know there is no logic in Adam using the amp on the first pic, because is lower grade as far as i can tell, but i just want to make sure...that pic does not look like D class PWM amp to me, maybe it is from Adam A7? or maybe the site who is selling this stuff have put wrong picture? thanks guys!

Please help me if someone have opened or knows what exact amp A7x is using.

You've bought these monitors, right?

... Seems to me like you're being slightly paranoid about the circuitry they put into these speakers, because someone told you that they'd use slightly cheaper parts than you might like.

Everything's built to a price. You pay your money and take your choice. You could buy an awful lot of parts and re-do the monitors with your own circuitry. But at that point, you may as well get your own drive units, too (after all, there must be better ones out there), and oh look! The cabinet has the wrong dimensions for your new drivers. Lets build some new, better cabinets, and play around with the crossover to realign the new drivers!

So tell me, why did you order the monitors? :rolleyes:

Listen to your new purchase, and I mean really listen to them. Invite your engineering friend over to see what he thinks (not on a circuitry level, on a "how does this sound" level).

Decide if there's anything wrong with the sound.

Play around with the settings on the back of each speaker.

Listen.

Is there anything wrong with the sound?

If yes, measure the speakers as best as you can. If distortion is a problem, look at the drivers (before amplifier clipping, they'll introduce way more distortion). If the in-room frequency/impulse response is terrible, play with speaker positioning, or think about treating your room.

In terms of "cleanliness" of reproduction, amplifiers are miles ahead of speakers and rooms. Fix the problems, one at a time, biggest first.

Chris

You've bought these monitors, right?

... Seems to me like you're being slightly paranoid about the circuitry they put into these speakers, because someone told you that they'd use slightly cheaper parts than you might like.

Everything's built to a price. You pay your money and take your choice. You could buy an awful lot of parts and re-do the monitors with your own circuitry. But at that point, you may as well get your own drive units, too (after all, there must be better ones out there), and oh look! The cabinet has the wrong dimensions for your new drivers. Lets build some new, better cabinets, and play around with the crossover to realign the new drivers!

So tell me, why did you order the monitors? :rolleyes:

Listen to your new purchase, and I mean really listen to them. Invite your engineering friend over to see what he thinks (not on a circuitry level, on a "how does this sound" level).

Decide if there's anything wrong with the sound.

Play around with the settings on the back of each speaker.

Listen.

Is there anything wrong with the sound?

If yes, measure the speakers as best as you can. If distortion is a problem, look at the drivers (before amplifier clipping, they'll introduce way more distortion). If the in-room frequency/impulse response is terrible, play with speaker positioning, or think about treating your room.

In terms of "cleanliness" of reproduction, amplifiers are miles ahead of speakers and rooms. Fix the problems, one at a time, biggest first.

Chris

I totally understand what your saying, this is the answer i wanted to hear! and excuse me for looking kind of like an idiot, but i'm kind of sucker for quality parts, i'm perfectly aware that even if they use transformer, the point is into the other parts they used as well, my friend told me its possible to have transformer based amp, and yet have better quality then good D class amp without it, it all depends of the quality of other parts as well.

Also i was asking him, if you have speakers which sound great, and i know A7x does sound great, ( i had the a3x) what are you losing if they got average quality amp? he said longevity maybe...and a tiny bit better sound, which you may or may not notice, because the speakers already sound great.

Also my friend told me that many of the active speakers, use low quality caps on some aspect of the design, (main signal one?) i forgot the exact name of it, and that replacing them it will improve the clarity of the sound for small amount of money, like 50 euros....dunno if this worth to try? hes very experienced DIY builder....

AFAIK A7x are monitors with huge amount of output, and i was wondering how is that even possible if they use a bit lower quality amps, this is one of the main reasons i ask this, and get a bit confused, many users reported like 105-110dB without distortion or any clipping, which is amazing to me for speakers of their size, what do you think about the amp on the first pic? is it really a bit on a weaker side? i don't really care anymore like before now when you told me this, but i just want to hear your opinion, you seems to look like a guy who is also very well informed and tehnical, thanks in advance :)

I've heard Behringer B2030A monitors. Seems like all active monitors can produce phenominal output given their size etc. I think the seperate HF/LF amplifiers, combined with individual amplifier limiting, and filters to cut cone excursion below port tuning are what allow monitors to do what they do.
With conventional HiFi stuff, if the cabinet's tuned for 40Hz, and then some 30Hz comes along, the cones are all over the place, but not making useful output. There's a lot of power handling lost that monitors can make use of.

That amplifier board, to me, looks like it'll do exactly what's needed of it.

IMO, perhaps the transformer could be a bit bigger: I don't think the one they have there will stand full power from both amplifiers continuously, without some PSU sag coming in.

However, the little heatsinks at the bottom left look suspiciously like regulators, in which case it doesn't matter much if the PSU sags a bit, so long as the right voltage comes out the regulators, there's not much to worry about.

Even so, you'll never (realistically) run both amplifiers at full tilt for any length of time, so I really don't think there's much to worry about.

Its difficult to comment on the rest of the circuit without seeing some schematics, but even so: minds greater than ours have designed this - I really don't think you're going to have any problems with it.

In the end, all this stuff's for listening to. Fetch some vinyl/CDs/a digital music thingy, get some alcoholic beverages, and enjoy.

Chris

Thanks alot for the great answers! TBH, i will run this speakers over 95dB very very very rare, just few times for fun! they will be around 60dB most of the time, so long term output and long session of hard volumes will not be problem!

Now, i just need to think if its worth to get better semiconductors/caps to mod with.

Thanks one more time!

Last edited:
What you see on Adam's page is ICEpower amps from B&O, and also their SMPS module (including the bass amp) instead of a transformer.
The amp module they show is not for A3x but for one of the large 4 way systems.
Having one Icepover100ASP + 2 x ICEpower500A + their own class A/B for the tweeter http://www.adam-audio.com/en/technology/ab-amplifier
Funny though as far as can see in the specs for the 4 way systems, non of them have the class a/b amp for tweeter ... they all state PWM (Class-d)

Seems that the power amps in A7x are of a different brand, definitely not ICEpower, but it is class-d (by the look of it). Better or worse?
Hard to say. ICEpower makes good amps, but so does a lot of other companies ;)

Best regards Baldin

Last edited:
Just got my A7x, omg i'm blown away, so much power!!! its insane!!!! never expected to listen such a powerful sound from "small" speakers, the bass is great, deep and has punch, which kinda speak of AMP quality power/design as well i guess?

I pushed them hard for few songs at +10dB with ASIO driver sofware volume control on max, (bit perfect which max out the volume - bypass windows kernel) and no sign of any distortion! speechless!

They sound bigger, deeper, stronger, play more effortless then the then A3x, bigger soundstage, like 3D, low mids are insane, bass is impressive, and the highs are more defined.....its like night and day difference really...

Thanks all for helping me make my choice, the A7x are amazing speakers, if they have tons of output, and no distortion, does that means that the AMP/power design is good, or its more complicated then that, i'mt not worried at all, i just want to learn a bit :)

I'm sure thay are good and sound super, but your statement of Power and Insane ...... we're talking about a speaker with a 7 inch driver and an AMT!!!!!
Hope you'll get a chance to listen to a big speaker ;)

On the other hand driving a speaker through an electronic filter and with a separate power amp for each driver is just such a better way than lossy filters in passive speakers and single amp ;)
Kind regards Baldin :)

Need Help For Speaker ADAM A7X

Good afternoon, my name is José Rodrigues, I have a small technical assistance company in Portugal. I have speaker áudio of ADAM , model A7X, with the audio output circuit burned. This equipment was delivered to me for repair, but already stirred by other people who changed some components. I am asking for your help, if I could indicate the original reference of the amplifier IC of the SUBWOOFER. Position of the IC is U150. I have already searched the web on several websites for the technical service manual, but I was not successful. If someone has the technical service manual, I would not mind buying it as it would be a great help. From now on I am grateful for your help. Thank you, with best regards, José Rodrigues

Adam Amps

Hi.

High tone amp - TDA7293

Sub AMP - TDA8920

Transformer is not toroidal one, but classic.

I have three broken pieces in service :

- high tone speaker ( easy to open and repair )
- base amplifier ( looks like a soldering training - for sure not B&O - ICE are only in subs as far as I know ), rather impossible to repair. All three speakers have different components on SUB AMP board and a bit different layout
- potentiometer on front side ( easy to repair )

Old thread... Picked some A3Xs one has excessive white-like noise through the woofer with the input not connected and some random crackling. Not too loud but noticeable at low volumes. The noise level doesn't change with volume adjustments. Any suggestions? A bad cap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.