Fully Discrete Class D Amplifier (WIP)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I'm currently working on a fully discrete class D amplifier for my undergraduate senior design project as a Computer Engineer.

I have no prior experience to anything that relates to this topic so I thought I would create this thread for continous discussion and opinions on choices I make throughout this process of building the amplifier. A lot of help would be greatly appreciated!:eek:

Okay, so far based on researched a Class D amplifier looks similar to this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4c/Pwm_amp.svg/800px-Pwm_amp.svg.png)

I was able to create a small differential amplifier to act as a comparator and a triangle waveform generator with all discrete components (See attachment.) So far my pspice looks promising and to be honest this is as far as i've gotten X_x. (WIP! :eek:). Any opinions or advice? I'll try to somewhat, log my progress and hopefully be able to have fully functional discrete class D further down in time. Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    119 KB · Views: 3,086
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 2,913
@sweetperfume

I actually tried to PSPICE the Philips UCD but my results were a little odd. (See attachment) It seems that my output was always the Vcc/Vdd of the circuit. It may be because of the parts I chose but those were the only ones available to me in the student edition? Or something in my setup is wrong?

Also, I don't understand the Philips one so well X_x I can't tell what part is the comparator or if there's a triangle wave generator :confused: I made a circuitlab.com of this as well found here. :p for reasons I don't know why since it compiles REALLY slow online

@stewin

I'm not sure whether to go UCD or nonUCD :eek: as I'm not entirely sure what that means... but I have been snooping for quite sometime and I've looked at some of those threads. Unfortunately some of them hosted schematics or posted links elsewhere that they're no longer available.

@Soldermizer
My professor actually allows vaccum tubes to be used in my project but they're quite outdated aren't they? Here's his specifications and his mention of vaccum tubes for reference (here)

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 4,492
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    442.3 KB · Views: 2,132
@sweetperfume

I actually tried to PSPICE the Philips UCD but my results were a little odd. (See attachment) It seems that my output was always the Vcc/Vdd of the circuit. It may be because of the parts I chose but those were the only ones available to me in the student edition? Or something in my setup is wrong?

Also, I don't understand the Philips one so well X_x I can't tell what part is the comparator or if there's a triangle wave generator :confused: I made a circuitlab.com of this as well found here. :p for reasons I don't know why since it compiles REALLY slow online

@stewin

I'm not sure whether to go UCD or nonUCD :eek: as I'm not entirely sure what that means... but I have been snooping for quite sometime and I've looked at some of those threads. Unfortunately some of them hosted schematics or posted links elsewhere that they're no longer available.

@Soldermizer
My professor actually allows vaccum tubes to be used in my project but they're quite outdated aren't they? Here's his specifications and his mention of vaccum tubes for reference (here)

I too got same prob with philips amp but no worries buddy.. Its the problem that your negative switches are unable to get the bias 12v supply....just check it out and dont use powerful transistors...use high voltage low power transistors only.....and set the freq and dead time properly...

I guess it will start up, when you define the initial condition of C8.
Put its innitial condition to 12V (or -12V, this depends on your chosen orientation during placement of C8).

@stinius
Thanks I just noticed that as well but it didn't seem to make a difference in my simulation X_x

@sweetperfume
I'm not sure :eek: but on PSPICE my output is always 35V as shown in my attachments in post 5 X_x. It's also hard to understand parts of the design as to what they do :/

@stewin

:eek::eek::eek:
in your schematic please replace all diodes with high speed ones e.g 1n4148 and d4 and d12 make sure you use mur120 or uf4007 to be on the safe side.

q11 use tip41 or bd139 .

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ly-discrete-class-d-amplifier-wip-capture.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished swapping out those diodes with the ones you requested. I still feel like I set something up wrong since my output is always a constant 35V or is that how it is on transient solver?:confused:

:eek: anyways hopefully tonight I can mess with it more and figure out what I can do. Thanks

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 834
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 1,034
Alright, so I've been working on my amplifier again and also a replicate of the Phillips UCD.

I think I figured out why my output is always just my power supply voltage. I've been taking the voltage reading AFTER the inductor as opposed to before it. (Attached is the results of taking the readings of input v. output before inductor. The Philips UCD schematic is attached a page back.)

I also have my own class D design going as well which is attached below (2nd picture. Results 3rd picture) Let me know what you guys think! The driver portion of the design was taken from diyaudio's very own stewin. Thank you very much and I hope it's okay X_x.

I still have to figure out how to tweak it so that it's in line with my professor's specifications but I think this is a start for me :eek:.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 698
  • myfullclassd.PNG
    myfullclassd.PNG
    93.4 KB · Views: 746
  • myfullclassdresult.png
    myfullclassdresult.png
    59.2 KB · Views: 713
Hi Guys,

So I finally bread boarded this circuit (attached below is the updated schematic).

I've tested having an input from a Function Generator and the output to a speaker. Tested some freq from 20Hz to 10kHz which you can hear the pitch sound.

My problem now is figuring out how to get an audio signal in (perhaps my cellphone's headphone jack?) as the input.

I bought a 3.5mm jack (CA-2205 Tensility International Corp | CP-2205-ND | DigiKey) and I've tried plugging my cellphone in, (Red wire as input, blacks to ground. I believe the smaller black is for another channel..)

The problem is I'm not getting any sound. I'm guessing my cellphone does not output voltage ? X_x I'm not entirely sure how to work with the 3.5mm as I've never worked with one before. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    78 KB · Views: 436
That's one hell of an ask for an undergraduate project - certainly far more ambitious than anything I was ever asked to contemplate at university.
A response to 100kHz seems barely feasible - surely that'd take your switching speed close to 1MHz or even beyond. Good luck & keep us posted!

On the subject of valves (or tubes), I'm sure I remember reading about PWM choppers built from valves being used as VCAs before the advent of transistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.