Behringer iNuke NU3000 Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am posting some measurement data on the NU3000 that might be of use to those considering the purchase.

Output Power:
No load max output voltage was 50Vrms per channel.

With resistive loads, power output at clipping was pretty darn close to:
300Wrms/8ohm/channel
600Wrms/4ohm/channel
1000Wrms/2ohm/channel
2000Wrms/4ohm/bridged

So, it seems you can pretty much take the Behringer specs and divide the power ratings by sqrt(2).

It has been brought to my attention that Behringer does provide RMS Power ratings in a brochure, just not in the manual.
They line up well with measurements summarized above. See post#11 below:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/213071-behringer-inuke-nu3000-measurements-2.html#post3041598

It seems that Behringer has removed the link from post#11 containing the brochure with RMS ratings for the NU1000/3000/6000. As far as I could tell, none of the newer brochures contain RMS ratings. So...I attached an excerpt from the older brochure containing this information in post#29
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/213071-behringer-inuke-nu3000-measurements-3.html#post3663715

Frequency Response:
Attachment #1: Resistive load test
Attachment #2: Capacitive load test
Attachment #3: Inductive load test
Attachment #4: ESL load test

In Summary:
- For the money this amp puts out plenty of power, but load induced HF response changes indicate it is probably best used for subwoofer duty.
- The DSP is pretty slick. In particular, very handy to be able to dial in limiter setting in real time to keep woofer excursion below the clatter zone.
- Not recommended for driving ESLs.

Attachments

• iNUKE_3000_test_R.gif
    iNUKE_3000_test_R.gif
    177.8 KB · Views: 6,079
  • iNUKE_3000_test_RC.gif
    iNUKE_3000_test_RC.gif
    182.7 KB · Views: 5,706
  • iNUKE_3000_test_RL.gif
    iNUKE_3000_test_RL.gif
    161.7 KB · Views: 6,462
  • iNUKE_3000_test_ESL.gif
    iNUKE_3000_test_ESL.gif
    194 KB · Views: 5,618
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was satisfied enough to buy two :) While discussed at length in other threads here, I "modded" mine to silent operation by no fan/no cover. So far no problems. Based on my limited tests, I can get perhaps 14 w/Ch (continuous) into 4 ohms speaker before the thermal protection shuts down a channel. Of course with the far higher peak voltages this amp can do LOUD. Even with the no fan limitation, a NU3000 puts out plenty of power to drive 4 Bose 901 (series II) loud enough to annoy the girlfriend and the neighbors :cuss:

Last edited:
With 6 ohm speakers which drops down to 4 ohms somewhere at HF , my nu3000 doesn't sound bright or spitty. Sounds nice actually. However I prefer my regular AB ss power amp. I actually bought the nu3000 for sub use but wouldn't hesitate to use it for normal stereo use with regular speakers as it sounds quite nice. In some areas better than many good ss amps I have heard.I focus more on the music even though I spend so much time and effort to improve the reproduction chain. When I'm on to some real nice music , small imperfections cease to matter !:)

I am agnostic on the question of "Do amps sound different?" One faction would have you believe that if it measures the same, it should sound the same. This sounds like a good supposition. However, this thread points to the opposite problem: many amps do measure differently, or in the present case, different frequency responses into varying loads (simulated or real). So it is possible, likely even, that two different amps driving a given speaker(s) may sound different due to most likely the frequency response, but perhaps other factors (phase? slew rate?).

It's always interesting to investigate differences between amps but the bottom line is always if it sounds good enough ( even though different from others ) to be listened to with good music . Differences can then be investigated after enjoying the music ( with some 'spirit' water ? ) !:)
Life is short , so more time must be spent enjoying music than investigating the differences !;) So as you get older , less time must be spent investigating and more time spent enjoying music !:) You never know when you are going to kick the 'damn' bucket !:D

For HT sub use it would be useful to know what it is at 20 or better yet, 10 Hz.

Out of curiosity, I tested voltage and continuous power output for 20hz & 10Hz.

With no load:
20Hz = 49Vrms
10Hz = 44Vrms

With 8 ohm load:
20Hz = 282 Wrms
10Hz = 230 Wrms

With 4 ohm load:
20Hz = 475 Wrms (< 10 seconds)

After about 10 seconds, the power output dropped back to 280Wrms.
Based on this, I skipped the 10Hz and 2ohm testing.

FWIW, Behringer lists these specs in the iNuke 3000 DSP brochure.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/NU1000_NU3000_NU6000_NU1000DSP_NU3000DSP_NU6000DSP_WebBrochure.pdf

Seems to be as measured above.

Hello raintalk,

Thanks for the link!
Nice to see RMS Power specs line up nicely with my measurements.

I had not seen RMS power ratings for the iNukes published anywhere.
The manual only lists "Maximum" as does all the seller websites like Parts Express.
Guess I didn't look hard enough... ;)

Last edited:
I'm using the Inuke 6000 dsp to power 2 b-52 220s subs, rated for 1000 watts a peace. im going to be getting 2 more and my plan was to run all 4 on my inuke. but since ive seen that my subs want more power than what the inuke can give them, i want to try bridging it, build a box that would take both speakon lines in, bridge both positive and negative lines from both channels together, and then run them out to 2 subs at a 4 ohm load off both channels. that would technically draw all the power off the amp right?
would this be safe? would it blow my amp? if there was any problem i would think it would go into protection mode first, i would try it at low levels first of course.

i dont belive that my amp puts out a true 6000 watts, i agree that it probly puts out about 4000w, its 2 bridged 3000's in 1 box.

Last edited:
@Basscrime

Don,t do that. This amp is already a full bridge per channel. No provision for bridging, no protection, you will get a big cloud of smoke. Also,this amp can only deliver 700w rms at 4 ohm, this is the threshold of the internal limiter trigger at 4 ohm loading.

Also, no capability to work at 2 ohm loading, not current enough so you get over current shutdown as the design has no way to measure actual current and the limiter only works reading voltage.

Anyway it is a good entry level choice for the price.

It is acceptable to sell an amp capable of only 2 x 600 / 4 Ohms or 2 x 1000 / 2 Ohms cheap. Still ok, if this power level can not even be sustained for long time since music does typically not consist of continuous full scale sine waves. Maybe the amp is even worth the money. What makes the company and the amp shady, is BS advertisement like:
"Delivers 2 x 1500 Watts into 2 Ohms; 2 x 880 Watts into 4 Ohms; 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms (bridge mode)"
It must be sooo tempting for manufacturers to inflate power numbers as it has always been so. Any high school student can take an oscilloscope and a sine generator and see whats coming out of the amp. Power is Vrms squared div. by resistor. Still, Behringer is counting on buyers unability to do some serious measurements.
I wonder how the iNuke 6000 does compared to advertised power specs?

I remain a fan of the iNuke, but what still baffles me, is why Behringer and similar audio manufacturers can make what are clearly deceptive claims about power output. In the USA, since 1974 (I think), our Federal Trade Commission (FTC) specified a test procedure and required the manufacturer to list maximum RMS power in a certain way. Perhaps this does not apply to "pro" equipment?

i am not going to try bridging the amp as i agree that it would be a bad idea.
However i still this its an amazing amp for the small price of 525$CAN, it has verry clean power and drives my subs nicely, i just wish i could push my subs a little harder.
will probly invest in a crown i-tech 6000 sometime, that will be a world of difference.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.