Behringer iNuke NU3000 Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Eva,
I understand you very well. Why does a company like Behringer save the few thousand Euro´s a good developers time would cost, who could turn this amp into something good and lasting. It is produced in such large numbers, the developers work would not even make each piece 20 Cent more expensive. Some better dimensioned parts would, maybe, make another 5$. Most extra cost would be saved by reduced customer service.

If you think about our planet, this would prevent them to be thrown in the bin after just a very short time. A ecological disaster.
Very often I find products that are just a waste of energy and material. The same parts, put together a little bit different, would have been just fine.

The answer is easy: If you build a cheap product too good, you will not sell another one or make the customer buy something more expensive next time.
Build to fail is today´s reality. If you have a look at the car industry, some brands (undisputed leader with this is Volkswagen) do anything to make the car break down after a certain time/mileage. Mostly by leaving a too low quality oil in engine and gearbox for to long, by the way.
Philips is known for building it´s TV-set´s with ill sized parts, only to limit their live span.
Anyone in the Western industry knows how to build a perfect product, the problem is to make it only last as long as the marketing thinks it is acceptable.

Even as I dislike Greta Thunfish and her theatrical performances, as educating kid´s one day less per week will make anything worse, not better, there is something wrong in this world, if the only way to preserve our culture is to destroy the planet.

I must confess, I have i-Nukes too. I don´t think they are good for live music, as they do not like overload, the usual working condition for a tour amp.
Anyway, if you use them for some kind of PA with a DJ, configured right they are quite use able.
If you expect a i-Nuke 6000 to put out 6000 watt, your are a fool, but if you only ask for 1/3 of the promised power they work reliable. Take a 1000, 3000 and 6000-D and combine them with a 3-way PA, you have a low cost, low weight sound system. The DSP works well and reduces wires and connectors to a minimum.
If we are honest, in most cases they sound better than the amps they replace.
I use mine for HT sub woofer, with another, low noise fan. The even more expensive alternative are some plate amps that are an even worse waste of money, work and material.
The customers for these Behringers are not saving money by buying them, they do not have the funds to buy 3000 Euro amps. So the question is a little more complicated: Shall these poor people buy no amps? Only amps for rich people who do not care to blow out 10.000 Euro´s for some amps and DSP hardware?

I have always considered the 6000 and 6000DSP to be lesser performance than the 3000 and 3000DSP because they are not rated for 2 ohm operation, whereas all other iNuke are 2 ohm rated. My guess is that the 6000 are designed by bridging two versions of the 3000 circuit for each channel. I own iNuke 3000, 6000-4 and 12000, and for the price, I have no complaints about performance compared to my other (many times the price) amps, except excessive fan noise, which is easily cured by a fan swap.

Attachments

• Behringer iNUKE specs.pdf
    94.7 KB · Views: 156
Saving the planet aside, no one likes amplifiers that burn up. Especially people who like to build amplifiers.

The problem with the “design” is that it is bog-standard but has insufficient thermal margin for heavy duty use. In typical light duty use where there is only 10 watts of heat load it runs just fine. At full power it may dissipate 200 to 300 watts and it just can’t do that very long or very often. Two ways it could be corrected. Get those switching times down under 10 ns so the heat load would be down to a few tens of watts at full output, or put in an extra output pair or two, proper drivers, and some real heat sinks so it can take the heat load without issues. The problem? Neither is cheap. The first requires lots of NRE, and unfortunately, more expensive parts and construction technique. The second would be relatively easy, but were still talking $50 worth of parts. Adding $50 to the BOM cost adds $500 to the retail price. And it will still sound like a .... Behringer.

@wg_ski
Your are right, technically, but the cost for these additional parts are way lower than you estimate. For 5$ worth of parts you can complete an amp...
No, it is not the 1.20$ for heat sinks that have to be saved. Behringer has different amplifier lines. There must be some technical distance, so the more expensive amps have more value for the customer.
Sound of the i-nuke amps is much better than many might expect, it is the last bit of grunt in the lower region that is missing and with very high load they start to sound stressed. More or less a "sounding" the manufacturer want´s, just to have an audible difference to the next price level amp.
Some cheap Behringer amps are much better than even much more expensive HIFI stuff.
Here in Germany we have some PA dealers like Thomann, that deliver free of charge and take back anything, no question asked. So testing amps for a few weeks is free. If the amp is not what you expect, give it back. This is a very unfair advantage for cheap stuff you would usually not buy. You do not expect much and get surprised.
These cheap amps are best sellers at any store, but you hardly find any used at eBay. This tells a lot about them. Even as they are ecologically very questionable, like anything from China.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.