Help needed, reward for solution!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone. I recently made the mistake of my wiring my amp in reverse polarity Yes, I am idiot. The fuses on amp blew, replaced fuses and they blew again.. Amp is an MB quart onyx 1500

I am offering $20 PayPal for who ever can come up with the solution. I already pulled the cover off and nothing appears burned. I do have a multimeter. So where do I go I from here.. Like I said, $20 for whoever can determine what's wrong. Let's get this fixed!

I am reading the manual. There is no reverse polarity protection, only output protection. It uses a PWM power supply and you have probably fried it to say the least. I understand that you crossed + and - at the power input correct?

Your amp is mosfet based class D and offers no input protection, only output to speaker. I would remove the 12V power. Pull the fuses, wait 2-5 minutes to bleed down and use a multimeter to measure resistance of the amps + and - terminals after the fuses. It is probably a short circuit (your blowing fuses) and check both polarities red to + and black to -, and then switch them. There is no doubt there is probably a short present, you have 2x70A fuses. The fuses are there to prevent a fire, and maybe save the amp at those power levels.

Either way you are cracking the case and doing trouble shooting and surgery. start at the front end and look with the eyes and then with the meter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Yes crossed at the + and negative on amplifier. I have removed the case and do not see any visible damage.. I put the positive lead of the multimeter to the postive and negative to negative and show no resistance. Not even getting any kind of reading

I am reading the manual. There is no reverse polarity protection, only output protection. It uses a PWM power supply and you have probably fried it to say the least. I understand that you crossed + and - at the power input correct?

Your amp is mosfet based class D and offers no input protection, only output to speaker. I would remove the 12V power. Pull the fuses, wait 2-5 minutes to bleed down and use a multimeter to measure resistance of the amps + and - terminals after the fuses. It is probably a short circuit (your blowing fuses) and check both polarities red to + and black to -, and then switch them. There is no doubt there is probably a short present, you have 2x70A fuses. The fuses are there to prevent a fire, and maybe save the amp at those power levels.

Either way you are cracking the case and doing trouble shooting and surgery. start at the front end and look with the eyes and then with the meter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.