Is DIY now costlier than (e.g.) Behringer?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Digging up the old thread. The EPQ304 is very good price to performance ratio. There is less hiss and hum than from the two amps it replaced (an old Sansul integrated and old 150WPC PA amp). The sound is pretty good with the mid and high compression drivers. My only complaint would be the fan noise. It is also much less noisy than Aliexpress 3116 amp modules. Would I prefer it to a set of great MOSFET or tube amps? Hell, no. But until I can save up for high end multichannel amplification, I can happily live with this one. I will be most probably getting a second one (or a stronger one) in near future since my test speaker setup expanded to 4way, therefore 8 ch are needed.

Ten years on, an update to this mouldy thread :cool: The following is a bit of a paean to Behringer. For many years, most of my system has consisted of various hardware from them. Yes, there were some failures. Of a few DEQ2496 units one failed, possibly due to lightning in area. Of 7 amps that have passed through my hands, a NU6000 failed after many months of use. But of 3 NU3000, only one has failed after close to ten years. One more failed after power-up, as I detail below.

NB: these are run with fan disconnected or a quiet fan In either case, warranty is voided. The fan in the busted NU3000 apparently failed. It may not be related however: one of the output MOSFET (?) was visibly cracked. The NU3000 can/does go into protect mode if it overheats. That was not the case with this failure.

"As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly."
-- Proverbs 26:11 (KJV)

But honestly, I've gotten pretty good duty out of these amps. The NU series was discontinued, but the NX is still current and appears to be nearly identical save perhaps cosmetics. So I bought a NX3000. Behringer detractors will be heartened to learn that immediately upon power-up it "popped" (blown cap?), emitted the trademark puff of smoke with burnt plastic smell. OK, no problem, warranty return. Upon receipt of new unit, I burned it in for a few hours. No smoke, good! I did the fan swap and at least got the fan spinning. Please, no comments on my needing to super glue one of the fan bolts so that it stays in. 🙂 Anyway, the new unit has been working well for most of a week now.

Laying in a supply of spare amps: I've decided to buy a spare amp or two. I now am burning in a NX3000 that will remain un-Soldermized until it may be needed. That allows me to keep the 1 (or 3, with registration) year warranty.

Now, to tie this to Pelanj message from 2019: I will probably NOT get an NX4-6000. Four channels are convenient. I power my mids and highs with mine. In fact, I've run this amp fanless for ~ 5 years with nary a hiccup or protect. I don't need anywhere near the power the unit is capable of. Ah, but I see that the EPQ304 is still sold, both by Sweetwater (dealer) and even is listed on Behringer web site! I'm going to pick up one of these, they are cheap (~ $220), have ~ 75 w/ch., plenty for mids/highs. And they are supposed to be quiet moddable.

In sum: yes, DIY too expensive for me. I'll gladly pay $160 per channel for more power than any reasonable home use would ever need, or $55/ch. for more modest uses. I'm sure that DIY or Brand X methods might approach this, but balanced inputs? Easy availability and easy to mod? Behringer is a tough act to follow, especially for those of us with ten thumbs. Quite good performance, with the proviso that life expectancy can be a bit of a gamble.