Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

USB inputs for digital amps?
USB inputs for digital amps?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2011, 04:00 PM   #1
andyjevans is offline andyjevans  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default USB inputs for digital amps?

I presently have a Bantam digital amp with USB input:

Temple Audio Bantam. High Quality Class T-Amp.

It's nice and sounds good, but I'm wondering what's the next step up from this? What kits or modules are available with a similar kind of USB input so I don't have to use a DAC to go through the analog domain? Maybe Hypex, or others?

I keep all my music on a Mac Mini in iTunes, so would like to keep it simple unless there are better ways to get really good digital sound.

All help here appreciated - feel like upgrading for 2012.

Andy
Old 31st December 2011, 05:24 PM   #2
hoka is offline hoka  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Here is my take on this :
Get yourself a multichannel external soundcard (griffin firewave, Focusrite saffire for firewire or any of the available usb options)
Get "PureMusic" ( CHANNEL D - Pure Music ) This has a built-in crossover of extraordinary quality.
Get a bunch of amps, class-D or otherwise and start experimenting with your active multichannel system!
Old 31st December 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
mr_push_pull is offline mr_push_pull  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
since you've mentioned Hypex, Bruno has made a point many a times that there's no such thing as a digital amp. eventually you have do do some analog and that defeats the purpose. you need to get the "digital is inherently better" catchphrase out of your head
Old 31st December 2011, 07:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I do also have an Edirol Firewire FA-101 but I'd assumed I would lose quality using that for audio? I don't know if it does multi-channel. I don't need surround sound, and at present use a full-range speaker unit with no crossover, but might be interested in a 2-way speaker option with a ribbon speaker and a mid-bass.

I don't know if I have this wrong, but I'd assumed that my Bantam USB amp took the digital signal direct from my Mac into the amp input, i.e. no DAC?

andy
Old 31st December 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Dac's built into your Edirol are probably of better quality then the one that is build into your bantam amp. you do understand that there is a dac in that amp?

There are many other upgrade possibilities other then multi-channel, for instance you could use lossless compression instead of mp3.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi - no I didn't understand that the USB input converted to analog and then back to digital. I build with tubes, and digital is a bit outside my knowledge base.

I'm looking for an audiophile solution that compares with the tube amps I build, so yes, I do store everything in WAV in itunes.

This is all really useful information for me - on a bit of a digital learning curve!

andy
Old 1st January 2012, 03:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Your off on a running start then, Hook up your tube amps to the Edirol and listen to that for a while!

And try out "puremusic" it's worth it even if you don't use the crossover!
  Reply to this post

USB inputs for digital amps?Hide this!Advertise here!