Suitcase Stereo revisited--Please help DIY--My last resort.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys,

So, I am a newbie as you will soon see. I have been threading about this
stereo suitcase I want to build for my son--for college. I got all the
answers I needed from the boominator thread. I am now looking for a
little more help.

Here is the chip amp I think will work.

2x100W Amplifier with power supply onboardAMP5 is, like AMP1 and AMP1-B,
based on the Tripath TA2022 chip.
41Hz Audio:AMP5 kit

Ultimately I want to power the following;

1 10in Sub:
Specs: Power handling: 80 watts RMS/120 watts max • VCdia: 1.5" • Le:
1.12 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms per coil / 4 ohms total • Re: 3.16 ohms
Dayton Audio SD270A-88 10" DVC Subwoofer

1 pair of mids:
Pyle Pro PDMR5 5" Sealed Back Midrange
Pyle Pro PDMR5 5" Sealed Back Midrange
Specifications: • Power handling: 100 watts RMS/200 watts max • Impedance:
8 ohms • Frequency response: 450-7,000 Hz •

1 pair of tweets:
Boss Bullet tweeters
Boss Audio TW30 Tweeters at Onlinecarstereo.com
* Power handling, peak: 150w
* Magnet structure: strontium
* Impedance: 4ohm
* Frequency response: 2-25kHz

The questions I have are these:

1). Will this work?
2). What type of battery?-ultimately I want to recharge and have 5-8
hours of play time.
3). Will I need crossovers? Is there a simple cheap one I can buy?
4). Will this power supply work for 5 speakers?

Guys there is no way I could do this without you. Thank so much.

Best--JC

I don't understand why you're not just building a Boominator? Sounds like the PERFECT boombox for your son to bring to college, it will play a lot louder than what you are planning now and have much much much better batterylife.. With the amp6basic and a 20Ah battery you're looking at atleast 50 hours of playing time at max volume! :)

The suit-case design is not a very good one from an acoustic PoW.

Get some cheapish 6x9" car speakers and a cheap Lepai amp. Then you can throw it out when you tired of the lousy sound without having lost much.

Then in the meantime you should consider something like my Boominator design or another smaller version of it.

Let me explain why the suitcase design is so bad. If we take a standard molded plastic suitcase, it's made of a few millimeter thick PVC which means it will vibrate like crazy, so all precision and power in the bass, midrange and treble is lost immidiately. Then there's the fact it's far from air-tight which means all bass performance is gone. And because of the vibration, handles and hinges will rattle at anything but low volumes.

All in all, it's just not a very good idea. It may look nice but unfortunately real life physics can't be ignored.

Not really. If the suitcase is rather rugged it will sound good. This setup has a 12db crossover unlike 6x9 coaxials. We are not striving for audiophile supremacy here. We are trying to create something that is portable and cool. This is the setup I am beta testing right now in a electronic equipment diagnostic waterproof case. Like an SKB pro audio double amp road case. But white :) ... So far it sounds great.

This is what you should do:

AMP: Lepai Tripath TA2020 ($22)

SPEAKERS: Cadence CWM-6KIT ($59)

BATTERY: RHINO 12V 7Ah ($10)

CHARGER: DURACELL 12V 2A Charger ($20)

The $111 Bad To The Bone Boombox.

Done.

Hi,

I'm rather dubious about the speakers, crossovers for metal drivers are complex things. IMHO this
looks a far better bet : CADENCE ZRS-65KS 6.5? 300w SLIM COMPONENT SPEAKERS PAIR | eBay

C/o is also probably pretty basic*, but at least the driver types suit basic c/o's.

rgds, sreten.

*Seems to be far better than the metal one on simple inspection, IME
this should not be the case, which is why I'm dubious. The tweeter
levels options are another bonus, car speakers can be very bright.

Last edited:
Yeah I was recommending the cheap, easy and quick route. It takes 30 days to get an amp shipped from China and the AMP1 is $$$$. The Lepai is a nice little amp and sounds quite good and loud.

Plus it has volume, power and tone controls built-in.

Here is my friends first prototype running a Lepai custom mounted without the faceplate: Lepai Suitcase

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.