About TA2022 design designers LJM

I think a lot of people in this section have been in touch to TA2022 the IC.

It has real power and the family to use appropriate distortion. And it's very cheap.

But the chip is not easy to design. The group of linear regulator is excellent design scheme of the necessary.

Because of its impedance is not high, about 20 K ohms, so large input capacitance is also useful

I used the 3.3 UF MKP.

The necessary dc protection circuit and cut off the flow of TA2022 itself with protection. Can be a very good protection dc and short circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 2,231
Hello LJM!

I made some tests using that board (that you've sent the picture).

I was very impressed. Testing it on the bench, without a heatsink, at about 40W@8R per channel, it started to lower it's gain after some time then it stabilized at about 10W per channel.

I also used it on a gig (I'm a guitar player) without heatsink, for about 4 hours without problem. My volume was fairly loud and I didn't noticed the output power reduction.

The protection schemes are great. The chip seens to be almost indestructible.

Regarding the audio quality, I've made no extensive tests but noticed nothing abnormal.

I'm an electronics R&D guy and would like to colaborate with you if you intend to work with this chip.

Best regards!

Brusque

Hello LJM!

I made some tests using that board (that you've sent the picture).

I was very impressed. Testing it on the bench, without a heatsink, at about 40W@8R per channel, it started to lower it's gain after some time then it stabilized at about 10W per channel.

I also used it on a gig (I'm a guitar player) without heatsink, for about 4 hours without problem. My volume was fairly loud and I didn't noticed the output power reduction.

The protection schemes are great. The chip seens to be almost indestructible.

Regarding the audio quality, I've made no extensive tests but noticed nothing abnormal.

I'm an electronics R&D guy and would like to colaborate with you if you intend to work with this chip.

Best regards!

Brusque

welcome to your opinion. Subsequent version I slightly revised the point.

This version is V1.3, it USES the LM7810 as IC power source,

And a resistor instead of 1 N4741 off. Its compatibility is better.

Is willing to provide all the necessary things. If you need anything.

Hi ljm_ljm,

I have recently received the TA2022 kit from Zoe_Tsang and the board is marked V1.1 with 2 resistors and 1 diode already soldered to the board.

One of the resistors replaces diode 12U but IC power source is LM7805, not LM7810.

Do I need LM7810 for the board to work correctly?

Regards,
Steve

The blue version will exist 7805,7810.

The green version is only 7805.

Carefully observe the PCB above printing.

7805 current = 35MA
Its voltage = VCC-10V-5V
10V is the concatenation of the voltage divider resistors above.
7805 power consumption is about 15 * 0.035 = 0.52W. It is quite hot, but not dangerous.
Short out the input signal IN INGND. If there is no noise, it means the noise is caused by the input signal. Such things are more common.

Pay attention to the generation of the input signal interference. And ground handling.

Problem with TA2022 board

Yes. No heat sink. Of course, there is a version of the radiator. They have no problem.

I have the green board version as well (v. 1.1)
My 7805 and 7812 also get very hot to the touch, but my main concern is the inductors.
They get so hot it hurts to touch them.
The values are 22uH and are rated some 2A or around.
The board came pre-fitted with one resistor and a diode.

The DC offset is fine, voltage supply is 22.5-0-22.5 direct from a transformer.

Lately the relay does not switch on mute, so a loud clicking noise sounds when put out of mute.

Anybody have an idea what this could be?

Regards Jon
(first post ever on diyaudio)

I'm running mine at 24V dual rail. I haven't checked the inductors but other than the temperature of the voltage regulators as already mentioned in this thread, I've noticed that the 4700uF/35V smoothing caps get quite hot too. In fact one of them is showing signs of bulging :(

Apparently this is caused by 'Bus Pumping'.

Expanation: "A switching amplifier that is single ended (IE not a bridge) will cause what is known as "bus pumping". Energy that is stored in the output inductor has to go somewhere when the output stage switches & as it can't run in a continual loop like the current could in a bridge amp it over charges the main reservoir capacitors."

I'm going to replace them with 6800uF/50V ones.

Despite all this, the amp itself is working fine and sounds OK.

I have the green board version as well (v. 1.1)
My 7805 and 7812 also get very hot to the touch, but my main concern is the inductors.
They get so hot it hurts to touch them.
The values are 22uH and are rated some 2A or around.
The board came pre-fitted with one resistor and a diode.

The DC offset is fine, voltage supply is 22.5-0-22.5 direct from a transformer.

Lately the relay does not switch on mute, so a loud clicking noise sounds when put out of mute.

Anybody have an idea what this could be?

Regards Jon
(first post ever on diyaudio)

Yes, the regulator IC is indeed quite hot, but not damage.You can ignore it.

Because TA2022 frequency is high. PWM has 620KHZ. Therefore inductance fever. You can also do not care.

Ok, thank you.
After reading the TA2022 datasheet, tripath recomends minimum a 10A rated toroid inductor to prevent saturation. The zobel network seems fine. I have now swapped in new 10uH iductors and hence, change the LC filter to 107kHz, as specified by tripath. They are also rated to low. About 3 amps. Still very hot! Can i replace the current limiting resistor for the lm7805 with a 12v zener diode like 1n4742?