Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just tried my other pair of ncore/smps and the DC output is even worse.

No speakers connected, no input from dac connected, just 120VAC input connected and the 4 pin from the ncore hooked up to xlr chassis connector (not even connected to metal chassis for testing purposes) and nampon to the bare ground wires of xlr cable and i'm getting 0.58VDC at the output. That's 0.1VDC higher than the other.

Anyone have any insight, this doesn't seem good.

No speakers connected, no input from dac connected, just 120VAC input connected and the 4 pin from the ncore hooked up to xlr chassis connector (not even connected to metal chassis for testing purposes) and nampon to the bare ground wires of xlr cable and i'm getting 0.58VDC at the output. That's 0.1VDC higher than the other.

OK, let's see. To start with, is that with a load (speaker) connected, or open outputs? Can you try again with the input shorted (input pins 1 and 2 connected together)?

With regards to the standby, is there any place to get that required voltage from smps? I'd hate to have to put another connector on my chassis or run another wire from who knows where just to put it into standby. Would be nice to keep everything inside the chassis with maybe just adding a simple toggle switch on the back or a push button on the front.

I agree. For me it isn't an issue as I want to be able to shut off the amps remotely anyway, but I can see it would be convenient to have the voltage available. Unfortunately I am not at my workshop right now, so I can't measure if any of the supply voltages are still on when the power supply is in standby, so I guess we have to wait for the Hypex guys to answer that one.

Thank Mr. Julf :)

It's just "Julf" - an old nickname I got 30 years ago, involving a very drunk punk rock band, and some play on words in both Finnish and Swedish... :)

Well this with oscillating and dc will not happen so I will forget that.

It's your speakers, not mine... :)

I have connected evrything in the right mannor and there is still no sound. I can measure a very small signal with my voltmeter at the output and also hear a very small signal in the speakers

Unless you have a very powerful preamp, it sounds like the amp has switched on.

So you have connected the hot wire on the input RCA to pin1 on the hypex input connector and the RCA "chassis" to pin2? So your RCA connectors are insulated from the metal chassis?

In the datasheet it is recommended that the RCA is not isolated ! For what reason ?

To avoid ground loop hum. You don't want the main ground connection between the preamp and the power amp to go through the signal path.

This is really an hysteric amplifier and I am tired of it allready.

I know this won't help you right now, but I think it is good to remember that the nc400 is not a kit, nor a product for consumers. Hypex is in the business of making modules (components) for OEM's to integrate into their products. We are lucky that they have kindly provided a way for us ordinary hobbyists to buy the modules. But as any component, it is up to us, as "system integrators/manufacturers" (even if we only make on amplifier) to understand the data sheets and specifications of the components/modules provided by the module manufacturer. And calling the component "hysteric" and getting tired of it is about as helpful as kicking a bicycle and calling it stupid if you don't know how to fix a flat tyre.

So, aside from any technical advice, I really suggest taking the old but true quotation from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" to heart: "Assemby of japanese bicycle requires great peace of mind".

Is this normal? What kind of measurements are other guys with ncores getting? I thought I had maybe done something wrong but these are measurements with absolutely nothing connected except the 120VAC power supply. No speaker load and no dac input.

Well, the hypex specs have a maximum of 0.05V, but I assume that is with load (speaker connected). Unfortunately I can't measure my own ones right now, but I remember it was definitely less than what you are seeing.

Well, the hypex specs have a maximum of 0.05V, but I assume that is with load (speaker connected). Unfortunately I can't measure my own ones right now, but I remember it was definitely less than what you are seeing.

Do you know if there is something else that could possibly be causing this? It seems strange that both pairs of my ncore/smps have that high of a reading, seems as if I have done something wrong or something is bad on my end for both of them to do that.

I agree - especially if it still stays that high even with the speakers connected. But the amps work OK?

Yes speakers connected and disconnected same dc output. And the amp does work but it still worries me about that high of a DC voltage, don't want to weld my drivers, plus the loud noises when shutting down regardless of what gets turned off first isn't too nice either.
I also just tested the standby connecting pin1 of j1 to the + side of a 9VDC battery and nothing happened.

the amp does work but it still worries me about that high of a DC voltage, don't want to weld my drivers.

Well, 0.5V is only 0.06W into 4 ohm, and only goes to the woofer, as the mid and tweeter have a capacitor in the crossover that cuts off the DC.

I also just tested the standby connecting pin1 of j1 to the + side of a 9VDC battery and nothing happened.

And the - side of the battery was connected to ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.