Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESL's are funky, it's a totally different ballgame when looking for amps.
I think 48VRMS would do the trick. :)
Still it'd be nice to hear what Bruno thinks.

What trick? You normally need a couple of thousand volts to drive an ESL; step up transformers with a 1:150 ratio are not uncommon as part of the ESL.
With less amp output voltage you would need a bigger step up to get the same voltage (ignoring other issues like capacities for the moment...).

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Other Class D amps may have big problems with ESLs, as their max output current at high frequencies is very limted, and ESL typically have very low impedance at high frequencies. Also - the high frequency response of some class D amps is dependant on the load impedance.

None of this is true for Hypex of course.

Typically, class D amps have not been the best choice for driving electrostatic loudspeakers (as opposed to something like planar magnetics, which rock with class D). But nCore is new, and appears to solve many of the reactive output impedance issues of some class D amps. I think it would be best to seek an answer from Bruno and/or Hypex directly to determine how well an nCore would work with a given ESL. I think a complete impedance curve for the speaker would be good to have them take a look at.

I couldn't agree more about Class D and planar magnetics. My ACOUSTICIMAGERY D400M Monos (using UcD400HG+HxR and SMPS400A400) have discovered a 'soulmate' in the Eminent Technology LFT-8B's. The synergy between these magical planars and the Hypex amps is just wonderful.
I can only believe that the N Core modules will sound even more amazing. I'll just have to wait until there are more available.:(

Cheers:drink:

The NC1200 has been tried on a few electrostatics (ESL63 and Final), to very good effect (except that the owner of the Final overestimated the power handling capability of the speaker and burned a hole in the diaphragm during a loud passage). UcD does quite well too.

Conceptually class D and electrostatics are made for eachother. Since ESL's are almost entirely reactive, no net power is drawn. It just circulates round between the storage caps and the speaker. Actual power efficiency must be enormous. But indeed, most class D amps lack global feedback and you really need that to keep the frequency response flat.

Well, half under the flu anyway, so started reading this thread. cost me about an afternoon. Sort of gave up after the AP2 riot, glad that is over.

Not glad about the NC400's being sold out. If only I was aware earlier ... ;)

@Jan-Peter, Bruno,
After some years playing with the UcD;s (i think I have one of the earliest model ucd400's), it "might" just be time for an upgrade, any ideas as to when the next batch will be available?

Ah yes, and one other question, the modules being round, does that have a specific reason (except for, of course, coolness :) ) ?

edit: some typo's and rephrased some stuff

Last edited:
Well, half under the flu anyway, so started reading this thread. cost me about an afternoon. Sort of gave up after the AP2 riot, glad that is over.

Not glad about the NC400's being sold out. If only I was aware earlier ... ;)

@Jan-Peter, Bruno,
After some years playing with the UcD;s (i think I have one of the earliest model ucd400's), it "might" just be time for an upgrade, any ideas as to when the next batch will be available?

Ah yes, and one other question, the modules being round, does that have a specific reason (except for, of course, coolness :) ) ?

edit: some typo's and rephrased some stuff

here's your answer
forum.zelfbouwaudio.nl • Toon onderwerp - Hypex Ncore

I am using the 180 modules with my Quad 63's and they are outstanding. I've also got the icepower 125ASX2, and three of four different Tripath chip amps. The Hypex bests them all nicely. I also have a push-pull EL34 amp that is damn nice, but I'm using the Hypex amps these days and the other amps sit on a shelf.

The Hypex amps are also great on my DIY electrostatic speakers which are a nasty load, worse than the 63's.

You wanna hear nasty, try a adcom 535 on an electrostatic loudspeaker...

Sheldon

Not to mention that many, including me, don't have differential outputs.
So unless I put a hacksaw to my ssp-300 ...

That precisely is one of the great and ineradicable misconceptions I want to rectify. You do not need differential outputs. Even single ended outputs are already differential: one terminal is driven, the other is ground and the signal is the voltage difference between them. The point of a differential input is that it has an explicit reference pin which is not connected to its local ground so you can use it to sense the ground potential at the source.

The NC400 is round for No Reason At All. The first batch sold out within 5 hours, the next is due in January.

That precisely is one of the great and ineradicable misconceptions I want to rectify. You do not need differential outputs. Even single ended outputs are already differential: one terminal is driven, the other is ground and the signal is the voltage difference between them. The point of a differential input is that it has an explicit reference pin which is not connected to its local ground so you can use it to sense the ground potential at the source.

bruno can you explain this better?
especially the "one terminal is driven" part?

Status
Not open for further replies.