Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be nice if someone could compare it to an Aleph J or similar, I have a pair of Aleph Js and wonder how relaxing and "forgiving" of non-perfect recordings the NCore is by comparison. If I can fall asleep listening or if it calls attention to itself, like the F5 i test-built did when it sometimes sounded harsh. Initial reviews look promising but as the others I'm greedy so I want more reviews :D

If it can be as relaxing as an Aleph J while having all the resolution it's praised for I might buy myself a pair to test earlier rather than later... and then sell off my Aleph Js =)

nCore Case

Hi guys,

As promised I've been busy during the weekend thinking of a design for the DIY Audio nCore case.

As opposed to earlier suggestions, I've drawn a stereo case, but internally it's a proper dual mono. You have the option to go with one SMPS first and add a second one later when funds permit. For the real hardcore enthusiast you could always configure it as a mono and buy 2.

Also, I've given some more thought about Bruno's speakon/neutrik remarks and I've included 3 cutouts per channel. This opens up quite a few possibilities. You can use two blanking plates and use whatever binding post you want, but you could also use 1 speakon + 1 RCA and 1 XLR.

The rather odd shape of the SMPS makes for a very narrow but deep mono enclosure. I'll probably give this some more thought but for now I figured it would be nice to get some feedback. After all, you guys might hate the look of it. A stereo enclosure also provides me with a little more real estate on the back for all the connectors.

Not all mounting details have been drawn at this stage. And remember, it's just a thought, a draft...dimensions are 300x300mm. Total height 60mm.

Cheers,

Richard

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.26.19.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.26.19.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 832
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.25.25.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.25.25.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 824
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.25.05.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.25.05.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 744
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.23.58.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.23.58.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 741
  • Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.23.35.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2012-01-09 at 11.23.35.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 729
I like the design!
Personally I'd rather it was split in half and have to proper monoblocks.
One important point in mono is having the amps next to the speakers (i.e. very short speaker cables).

Hope we get to see a monoblock option as well (perhaps that roundish "layered" OEM design you mentioned!).

Last edited:
@Richard: Looks very cool!

Some random ideas/q's:

looks/affordability:
- what price range are you thinking?
- what finish are you thinking?
- If that box is in total 6cm high, the logo would be near 3cm tall. I'd personally prefer a smaller logo somewhere left bottom or, or horizontally/vertically centered, but that;s just me.

internals: if you're going to do this, lets go all out and be completely anal about details (of course, keeping cost in mind, not too many drill bit changes etc):
- Depending on required "flexibility" of the case (see Julf's question above), what about creating 4 compartments, one for each module (ie. each smps and ncore separated by an aluminium "wall" with a small part left out for cables from smps to ncore). Would it be useful at all? (RF shielding?)
- what about routing out sections for power supply cable to the smps through the middle?
- If I am not mistaken, the modules need to be fixed to the enclusore by 3 screws, which are not accessible from the PCB side. How will you mount the module to the enclosure? To the lid(underside?) or top (enclosure itself)?
- Is tapping holes a possibility (XLR, mounting plates etc), cost wise? Or do we need to use tiny philips-like screws?

- what about smps cooling?
- how do we run cables not over and under SMPS ?

Last edited:
@Richard: Looks very cool!
Many thanks...

What price range are you thinking?
I'd like to achieve a price point of 250-300 ex.vat, aiming for 50 pieces.

what finish are you thinking?
As I mentioned before, bead blasted, special etching process and colour anodizing. Gives a very chique and smooth finish similar to Apple products. I have a preference for black. Small Hexateq Logo will be lasered, nCore logo CNC cut.

If that box is in total 6cm high, the logo would be near 3cm tall. I'd personally prefer a smaller logo somewhere left bottom or, or horizontally/vertically centered, but that;s just me.
As it stands now, the circle around the first N is just over 25mm.

internals: if you're going to do this, lets go all out and be completely anal about details (of course, keeping cost in mind, not too many drill bit changes etc):
As mentioned I haven't drawn all studs and notches etc. for fixing all the stuff.

Depending on required "flexibility" of the case (see Julf's question above), what about creating 4 compartments, one for each module (ie. each smps and ncore separated by an aluminium "wall" with a small part left out for cables from smps to ncore). Would it be useful at all? (RF shielding?)
This is absolutely something to be considered, and was on my list of things to implement. I need to draw in the nCore module first. There isn't an awful lot of space left though between the module and SMPS.

what about routing out sections for power supply cable to the smps through the middle?
I've actually done this. However, the inlet and outlet on the SMPS are at the same side and at the narrow end. The connector is also at 90 degrees hence the module is pointed towards the nCore module.

If I am not mistaken, the modules need to be fixed to the enclusore by 3 screws, which are not accessible from the PCB side. How will you mount the module to the enclosure? To the lid(underside?) or top (enclosure itself)?
I'll mount the module to the enclosure, probably upside down like the SMPS. Plenty of height available, no worries here.

Is tapping holes a possibility (XLR, mounting plates etc), cost wise? Or do we need to use tiny philips-like screws?
All screws will be tapped and included. This is NOT a DIY case. :D

Rgds,

Richard

I've actually done this. However, the inlet and outlet on the SMPS are at the same side and at the narrow end. The connector is also at 90 degrees hence the module is pointed towards the nCore module.

Got me there. Forgot the inlet/outlet were on the same side.

All screws will be tapped and included. This is NOT a DIY case. :D

Not really a DIY amp then, more like plug-n-play :)

How about making the enclosure a bit higher, so that the SMPS fits upright?

More alu = more expensive. And I like low profile! :D

As you can see, work is a little slow todya. Me out, gotta get some stuff done.

Last edited:
Richard,

How about making the enclosure a bit higher, so that the SMPS fits upright?

The SMPS on it's side is 85mm. Add material on top and below and you're looking at an overall height of 95mm. Not particularly sleek and slender.

Moreover, I've still managed to keep the overall profile smallish at 300x300mm with acceptable height.

I suppose I could do an upright cylinder style enclosure which will undoubtedly appeal to some people but probably not sufficient people to make the numbers work.

Cheers,

Richard

I have managed to mount my ncore 400 in the (oversized) enclosure of my defunct F5 clone.
I'm not really good at making reviews, however, here are my initial impressions :
- the sound delivered is very refined and appears very natural
- the amp is really transparent and makes me feel that there isn't any amp at all in the system
- plenty of bass which didn't shine with my F5 clone
- very fast - tight control of my loudspeakers
Most important, this amp gives me great pleasure to listen to recordings (my former favorite was the F5 and I had UCD 180, Tact, Linn, Jadis, Brinkmann amps).
MacMini > Twisted Pair Buffalo II DAC > ncore 400 > B&W 805 Di

Attachments

• ncore1.jpg
    ncore1.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 657
  • ncore2.jpg
    ncore2.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 635
Status
Not open for further replies.