Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well talking about changing stuff...

I have swapped my nc500 with my friend's 250W with the TAG McLaren F1 speakers yesterday. We will keep each other's for a few days/week before swapping back...

So far, the initial observed differences in sound are negligible ...nCore in both our systems seems to be a little bit brighter compared to the TAG McLaren 250MR monoblocks! A bit more grain with nCore.

I still don't love them; SGK compared my nc500 to his KRELL 200W Class A few weeks ago; he seemed to think it was a good amp... :)

Sounds like you're describing the sound of your source to me

At least you heard a difference, which was a good thing (psst, you weren't supposed to ;). Julf, was he?).

Heh, not only do we hear what we want to hear, we clearly also read what we want to read. :)

Here is what ti33r wrote:

So far, the initial observed differences in sound are negligible ...nCore in both our systems seems to be a little bit brighter compared to the TAG McLaren 250MR monoblocks! A bit more grain with nCore.

The Merriam-Webster definition for "negligible" is "so small or unimportant or of so little consequence as to warrant little or no attention". Did you really expect "no differences" in a sighted listening? :)

Heh, not only do we hear what we want to hear, we clearly also read what we want to read. :)

Hehe!

I think that "brightness" and "grain" is likely a less muddled high end. Clarity. Less (amp) distortion. They drove my Eggworks Andra III with ease to sizeable SPL.

As to the Krell FPB 200, well, it's now a 20 year-old amp. Putting the amp typology off to one side, it was also in a well-machined enclosure, properly wired, safely wired. It really is/was built like a brick proverbial. It was built to last - in much harsher environmental conditions due to its thermal load. And it was done beautifully with great attention to detail. That amp is a bargain for £2.5k if it is in good condition and especially so if it hasn't had huge use.

The Hypex modules make amp assembly remarkably easy. But you've still got to do it properly. 'nuff said on that. They also allow a very attractive price entry point for a very high quality amp. Better can be built, but not as easily as putting these modules in a box, or purchased. Their thermal efficiency make them extraordinarily attractive for multichannel amps (7 or 8 channels in a box). Just look at the pic of the inside of the Theta Dreadnaught D.

Last edited:
BTW I wouldn't market the NC500 as a 400W/8R amp - I just don't consider 1% distortion an appropriate level for benchmarking output power. 0.1% would be the absolute maximum I would go. That places the NC500 at something like 350W/8R and I wouldn't advertise them at anything over 300W/8R. Still plenty of power on the advert label.

BTW I wouldn't market the NC500 as a 400W/8R amp - I just don't consider 1% distortion an appropriate level for benchmarking output power. 0.1% would be the absolute maximum I would go. That places the NC500 at something like 350W/8R and I wouldn't advertise them at anything over 300W/8R. Still plenty of power on the advert label.

Using the same line of thinking, NC400 should not be considered as an 200W/8R amp as well cause that spec is at 1% distortion.

Roughly should be between 150W-175W into 8R then.

May i interrupt the discussion here for a moment and ask, if there are any additional cable kits needed from Hypex for the assembly / connection of one NCore NC400 and a SMPS600 ?

I checked several thousand emails in this thread and the manuals, but wasn't sure after all, if this "kit" with the SMPS600 is complete concerning the internal connections because of those specific connectors used. My first "attempt" at building the stereo version (2 NCore NC400 + SMPS1200A400) in a Ghentaudio housing has let me to buy redundant cableing kits from Hypex, which weren't needed. This showed up after unpacking all stuff. Would like to circumvent it this time for the 3rd NCore channel. Anyone ?

May i interrupt the discussion here for a moment and ask, if there are any additional cable kits needed from Hypex for the assembly / connection of one NCore NC400 and a SMPS600 ?

They provide the cables that go between the nc400 and smps600, and the input cables from the input connector to the nc400. You will have to provide wiring to speaker outputs, and wiring for any power or standby switch, front panel light etc.

With the SMPS600 you should receive a supply cable to connect the SMPS to the NC400, a powercable and a control interface cable.
With the NC400 your receive the Ncore signal cable, basically the Molex Microfit connector attached to a piece of signal cable.
Separate modules do not include XLR and EURO mains chassis or other cables.
You can find this information on their webshop.

Thank you for your help. I ordered the modules now from Hypex, but the housing plus accessories i got from Ghentaudio. Just another question concerning the NCore stereo version i am going to build too: The stereo version uses two NCore NC400 modules plus a single SMPS1200A400. Unfortunately the "cable kit" for the SMPS1200 does not fit the 2x NC400, because they have to be spliced together. This shouldn't be a problem, but there is a flat ribbon cable - both ends already terminated with a connector - included in the cable kit for the SMPS1200, how do i set this one up for both modules ? Has someone already built a stereo or multichannel version containing two (or more) NC400s and a single SMPS1200A400 in one housing? If so, how did he splice (combine) the cables ? Any help is appreciated...

Last edited:
e03ae44d074668e8161c15e8c17b9138.jpg

www.atmstore.es
Twitter: @atm_store

Status
Not open for further replies.