Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• aaabbbb.jpg
    aaabbbb.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 149
hypex ncore

I don't think Bruno designs discrete inputbuffers whichs use that amount of current.

The Kaluga has a triggerinput and you need a standby supply to use this function.

Yeah it probably does that. It plugs into J5 which has the amp and power supply standby triggers. Then another cable goes to the input buffer.

Last edited:
Ahah! So I see that you are an "objectivist" or was that Freudian Slip?

You tell me - what I stated was that the people who attacked me were definitely not caused by proponents of an evidence-based approach (often referred to as "objectivists" by their opponents). What you read into it depends on you - and confirmation bias could play a part.

The problem I see is that you would be inclined to call me a "subjectivist" and you would be entirely wrong. But if you insist, who is the aggressive one? Not me! I see too many being verballed by so-called objectivists as being subjectivist, even when they clearly should not be so narrowly defined.
I can see that being a problem for you. Can you please let me know where and how I have "insisted" you are a "subjectivist"?

And what exactly is meant by "evidence-based approach" since evidence takes in many forms, what evidence do you accept or not accept? All I see is "preference-based evidence" and that the human inclination is to see what we want to see and disregard the rest (humble apologies to Paul Simon).
Are you familiar with the concept of "falsifiability" as defined by Karl Popper?

As to what evidence to accept, this is a pretty good short summary (from Wikipedia:Evidence in science):

One must always remember that the burden of proof is on the person making a contentious claim. Within science, this translates to the burden resting on presenters of a paper, in which the presenters argue for their specific findings. This paper is placed before a panel of judges where the presenter must defend the thesis against all challenges.
When evidence is contradictory to predicted expectations, the evidence and the ways of making it are often closely scrutinized (see experimenter's regress) and only at the end of this process is the hypothesis rejected: this can be referred to as 'refutation of the hypothesis'. The rules for evidence used by science are collected systematically in an attempt to avoid the bias inherent to anecdotal evidence.

If you take a combative stance, then you will not remain innocent for long.
But pity the children!

I want to look at things in a broader context, I seek no conflict, I am in no camp, in no school, just want to take in the scenery, be at peace with all men, have a sharing disposition above all.
A commendable approach - but one that would benefit from asking questions rather than making claims.

So why is there so much unnecessary aggro?

Perhaps because a Proselyte is always more obsessed than his Master? Therein lies the root cause of a lynch mob.
It seems a lot of the "aggro" is caused by the same reasons that evolution vs. creation is such a hotly fought-over topic - it is the conflict between the self-centred, "intuitive" reliance on one's senses, feelings and beliefs as opposed to the honest intellectual analysis of available evidence. People tend to get emotional and aggressive when their core beliefs are challenged and their feelings and perceptions are not acknowledged. Quite understandable - "subjectivism" (in the sense of "I believe what my senses tell me") is the natural state for the human brain, and breaking out of that mould and being able to analyze things rationally takes a lot of intellectual effort.

So, remind me again, what does this have to do with hypex ncore? :)

So the theory of evolution is wrong because Darwin was a racist?

So we are agreed upon that he was? Interesting. I have mixed feelings about Darwin.

I am, unlike you, not inclined towards crusades - allow people to become informed and make up their own minds, give them the time. Darwin was neither an atheist. He is buried under the floor of Westminster Cathedral and I have walked all over him - a joke if you will. He is about 20 feet away from Sir Isaac Newton and if I was to choose between those two, would it surprise if I said Newton?

I do feel uncomfortable about people who take on aggressive and haughty stances, it seems that there is a line that you either cross or don't. I know Bruno does not and I have nothing but respect as he is a doer and not just a talker. Why is it that some don't see that figurative line and don't understand when they cross it? What I see is an unnecessary belligerence - in the end more destructive than constructive. Some like Stuart Yanniger seems to revel in it and totally tactless and in the name of 'truth' insults anybody he considers below his level of learning and even John Curl was treated shamefully by him just a week ago. Do you approve of that? If now we invoke evolution as justification for that behaviour (and many now do), then some of the worst characters in history did likewise. Even Darwin would balk at that I feel sure, I don't think he meant people to go that far - but he was captive to racist sentiments that enveloped much of colonising Europe and particularly the British Empire. It certainly influenced his theory and there is much documentation and quotes from him that supports that. That is just a fact.

This is DIY forum. It should not be a battle ground for ideologies. It should be about sharing experiences, and not about right and wrong. Sometimes the right can be wrong, just hasn't yet realised it. :D

I see increasingly DiyAudio being abused by the crusaders, so much so that many have said to me they will no longer be sharing with DiyAudio the way they would really like. I am trying to resist that. It would be like hoisting up a white flag. Some are timid and that is no sin. There is the right to be even wrong. To be wrong is where we all started - we need less ego and be more embracing.

Don't you think that would be for the better?

So we are agreed upon that he was?

I have absolutely no opinion about Darwin being a racist or not. I simply wanted to clarify what you were saying.

I do feel uncomfortable about people who take on aggressive and haughty stances, it seems that there is a line that you either cross or don't.
I have been lucky to work with a bunch of brilliant people that often express them in ways that might be perceived as arrogant, haughty or even aggressive by people who pay attention to form over substance. I am very glad I have listened to them instead of getting hung up on their manner of communicating their ideas.

Some like Stuart Yanniger seems to revel in it and totally tactless and in the name of 'truth' insults anybody he considers below his level of learning and even John Curl was treated shamefully by him just a week ago. Do you approve of that?
As I haven't witnessed the incident you describe, I am not in a position to have an opinion, but in general, I prefer to pay attention to what people say, not how they say it or who they are.

If now we invoke evolution as justification for that behaviour (and many now do)
I have not seen that happen here. I have only mentioned evolution as an example of mainstream science that is rejected by a small but vocal anti-science crowd.

some of the worst characters in history did likewise.
I feel a Godwin moment approaching...

Even Darwin would balk at that I feel sure, I don't think he meant people to go that far - but he was captive to racist sentiments that enveloped much of colonising Europe and particularly the British Empire. It certainly influenced his theory and there is much documentation and quotes from him that supports that. That is just a fact.
So do you feel that invalidates his theory?

This is DIY forum. It should not be a battle ground for ideologies. It should be about sharing experiences, and not about right and wrong. Sometimes the right can be wrong, just hasn't yet realised it. :D
Indeed. But when challenging existing theory, it helps to a) exhibit knowledge and understanding of said theory, and b) present objectively verified evidence.

There is a rather clear difference between "I prefer the soft distortion of a valve amplifier over the sterile neutrality of a modern semiconductor amplifier" and "the less negative feedback, the better the amplifier".

I see increasingly DiyAudio being abused by the crusaders, so much so that many have said to me they will no longer be sharing with DiyAudio the way they would really like.
It is funny that you on one hand talk about wanting to avoid "a battle ground for ideologies", but on the other hand use polarizing stereotypes such as "crusaders".

The internet is full of audiophile forums where the rules prevent questioning of subjective claims. DiyAudio is not one of them. To me, diyAudio is about learning and understanding. That involves asking questions - and questioning unfounded claims. There are many people who are uncomfortable with having their beliefs and claims questioned. Those people are probably better off in the "questioning not allowed" forums.

It is funny that you on one hand talk about wanting to avoid "a battle ground for ideologies", but on the other hand use polarizing stereotypes such as "crusaders".

I have never sought any battle-ground, so please do not twist my words. Neither do I have any ideology to preach, mine are simply expressed as opinions without the fear of a lash of a ruler - and if you can't see that, then I am at loss at how to explain it.

But...

My Inbox is full of messages from DiyAudio members who know exactly what is meant - they know who is damaging DiyAudio and tell me plenty.

We want our old DiyAudio back where the emphasis was on helping each other out building things and being productive and have the pleasure of accomplishment and enriching the lives of others. I can give you numerous names of those who no longer make comment and send me emails and private messages.

Let's DO STUFF and let ideologies take a second place and not dominate egotistical and dogmatic arguments.

Make circuits, not war!

[Thanks Pieter for your support, a 'tribute' to you.] :)

Please, stop........

Yes, I will. And I wish they would too. I don't like having this one bit, but the 'ruling classes' have put off so many people and they are no longer contributing when they should and be welcomed with open arms. I could post names here, but I won't, who are no longer with us.

But the oddest thing is that I often agree with much of what 'they' say. The 'ruling classes' do make good points about the sometimes crazy world of commercial audio (such as ad-speak and pseudo-science nonsense we have to put up with) and yes there are ideological differences and some are patently riduculous, but that is the world in a microcosm and nobody should lord it over. Simple as that.

I seek no battlegrounds. They are not very entertaining. Audio was supposed to be fun and DIY even greater fun.

Sadly, I am packing up the NC400 today as they are going back to their owner. But I am very likely to order to order some soon. Bravo Bruno. Selling some UcD180HG modules, anybody interested? :D

Yesterday put a very high quality 12AT7 buffer on the input of the NC400, it was very nice indeed. Maybe not accurate, but it worked nicely. I have seen measurements where one stage's spectral distortion was measured and it went through another stage (line stage) and made changes to the same measurement that made it look different but did not actually add distortion in THD terms (already low), which is crazy because it was the line stage that was being measured. Yes, the distortion of the line stage was changed by the input/source. This was done by the late Allen Wright many years ago. So what is accurate? Good question.

But most people have to put a source before the NC400, so it will always be seeing something and people choose sources (and sauces too :)) because of what they like, and what they hear too. And that's OK, right? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.