Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically, I gather R141 is 1K2, so if paralleling another 1K2 = 600R will give me an extra +6dB and circa 32dB total gain. I think this would be useful for some to know as they may not be using a preamp in the circuit. I have somebody here with a source capable of 2VRMS variable output and connects straight into the NCore 400 and he could use a bit more gain.

As long as you remember that you are decreasing the amount of feedback, so there might be some performance implications. If you are of the "lower feedback is better" school, you have the wrong amp. :)

Yes because he's talking about a different amp.

Precisely. His point (and my response) pertain to the nc400. I am sure similar methods could be used on the nc500, but that is not what his point was about.

When you responded with "No gain issues with the NC500/Sparko combo", it would probably have been clearer if I had replied with "I assume that it is a different situation as you aren't changing the feedback on the nc500?" instead of just "I assume you aren't changing the feedback?".

As long as you remember that you are decreasing the amount of feedback, so there might be some performance implications. If you are of the "lower feedback is better" school, you have the wrong amp. :)

Hi Julf

I assure you I am VERY familiar with Bruno's 'error control' thoughts. :D

There are some circuits that should NOT use feedback, such as transformers/bandpass device inside the loop. Horses for courses. Feedback that approaches "real time" and doesn't slew should work as an error control mechanism. I can see that. BTW, I like the Ncore 400 very much.

By the way, I live in a house, not camping. :no:

Cheers, Joe R.

The problem with coaxial cables is that they tend to have a pretty thin core. They also have a much higher capacitance, but it probably doesn't matter for the ncores.

The mogami and sommercable are respectively 2mm2 and 2.5mm2 for both the inner and outer conductors, so I guess that should be good enough.
Do you think that could be a good replacement for twister pairs?
I am thinking about using these for the HF part in a biamped system (and maybe solid wires for the lows...), so capacitance would not be a problem, and the extra immunity would be a plus.

The mogami and sommercable are respectively 2mm2 and 2.5mm2 for both the inner and outer conductors, so I guess that should be good enough.

Good enough for a short run, but I would use something thicker for a long run (especially for a bass or full-range unit).

Do you think that could be a good replacement for twister pairs?
I am thinking about using these for the HF part in a biamped system (and maybe solid wires for the lows...), so capacitance would not be a problem, and the extra immunity would be a plus.
The capacitance won't be an issue for the speaker, but it will also be in parallel with the feedback loop - not sure of what effect that has.

As to noise immunity, depending on the frequency range, a good, symmetric twisted pair is actually better than coax - there is a reason telephone cables and most high-speed data connections are not coaxial, but balanced twisted pairs.

There has been a lot of concern about the output wires forming an antenna loop right at the point of connection to the module. The twisted pair then opens up and connects to a pair of binding posts on the amplifiers rear panel. A loop at that point is more likely due to spacing between the posts. Is that not a problem?

Probably not on Speakons, but on binding posts?

After you hear the new buffers, you will realize how much coloration the LM4562's add to the music. You will go, ahhh now that's the sound I was looking for. And without masking 1 bit of detail. That's pure class A discrete circuitry for you that's being worked very little. Think of them like a 1000W amp running a pair of klipschorns. The Sparko's run in class A well beyond the requirements of the NC500's.

I spent most of the day building a stereo unit for me! With the prototype boards. We have a party tomorrow and It would of been embarrassing not to have one. Plus I knew what I heard Sunday, I just have a big grin every time I think about it! The sound is incredible it just makes me grin. I noticed also the soundstage is even more precise. I'm pretty sure they run a little louder without distorting. I finally finished a 3 Mono block order (he also wanted 2 NC1200's) at about 11 last night I built them with black fronts, he ordered silver so I had to unpack and mill 3 silver front panels. I managed to get everything our as promised. Relaxing, Happy Christmas to you all and a big thank you to all those who encouraged me to build my own input buffer board. And those that have had the faith to order one. Even if I don't sell any its been well worth it the sound is incredible. Next up is a integrated version hopefully with a DAC built in.

I spent most of the day building a stereo unit for me! With the prototype boards. We have a party tomorrow and It would of been embarrassing not to have one. Plus I knew what I heard Sunday, I just have a big grin every time I think about it! The sound is incredible it just makes me grin. I noticed also the soundstage is even more precise. I'm pretty sure they run a little louder without distorting. I finally finished a 3 Mono block order (he also wanted 2 NC1200's) at about 11 last night I built them with black fronts, he ordered silver so I had to unpack and mill 3 silver front panels. I managed to get everything our as promised. Relaxing, Happy Christmas to you all and a big thank you to all those who encouraged me to build my own input buffer board. And those that have had the faith to order one. Even if I don't sell any its been well worth it the sound is incredible. Next up is a integrated version hopefully with a DAC built in.

Nice work Boggit. Your pace is great :)
Merry Christmas to you and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.