Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just another version of a reference design. It's bone stock Hypex boards in a box. Nothing wrong with doing this, but it's going to be a bit boring when we have 10 manufacturers building the exact same thing in a different box all trying to undercut each other's price. Maybe the next guy will sell them for 800GBP's per pair.

Personally I'd rather see amps the same price as the Atash 500's but with a better buffer stage. Then the product would be a unique offering, with an edge over the Atash :)

Exactly. I will bet that they are the same if some one care to open the case for Atash. There was a photo before but that one was a demo amp from Hypex for 6moons' review.

Price will go down if this indeed is just the begining.

Exactly. I will bet that they are the same if some one care to open the case for Atash. There was a photo before but that one was a demo amp from Hypex for 6moons' review.

Price will go down if this indeed is just the begining.

It will get to the point where the manufacturers have to run a charity organization in order to sell any amps.

Which is why it may be wise to focus on a premium buffer to differentiate the product from the competition.

1 SMPS in a stereo version makes sense to me even when going below 4 ohm but only needing the power on very short impulses...

I need 5W in average, only fancy having 200W on short impulses... A lot of people could be in that case in real life.

Input buffer with high impedance, something that can be driven by LDR attenuator... Hmmm...

hypex ncore

My only issue with top side vents is dust. Bavmike says these nc500 should run pretty cool in general use? :)

Bruno didn't feel there was any need for venting in the much hotter running Mola Mola Kaluga.

4c61254e89564e77425fd06bd1b13717.jpg

My NC500's only get warm to the touch even when running Marten Logan's that dip down to 1 ohm at ear shredding levels for 30 mins with no heat sink. The case is the heatsink. There's plenty of air around the case.

OK..This maybe a dumb question but I will ask it anyway.

If someone believes there is an improvment in SQ when using an Hypex NC400 amp after its been plugged in and powered up for several days over the same amp just being powered on and attempting to listen to it stright away then please read on.

How long do you think it would take for the amp that was powered up for several days to resort to sounding "Cold" again as it did when it was first powered up?

The reason I ask this is because I am going to be auditioning a new set of speakers at my dealer and will bring my NC400 Amp with me to use during the audition. I have been letting the amp simmer for several days now and my plan was to unplug it just before I walk out the door to head to the dealer which is about 1 hr away.

Should I be concerned that my amp will be fully "cold" and a bit rough sounding during the audition?

Thanks

If someone believes there is an improvment in SQ when using an Hypex NC400 amp after its been plugged in and powered up for several days over the same amp just being powered on and attempting to listen to it stright away then please read on.

How long do you think it would take for the amp that was powered up for several days to resort to sounding "Cold" again as it did when it was first powered up?

The reason I ask this is because I am going to be auditioning a new set of speakers at my dealer and will bring my NC400 Amp with me to use during the audition. I have been letting the amp simmer for several days now and my plan was to unplug it just before I walk out the door to head to the dealer which is about 1 hr away.

Should I be concerned that my amp will be fully "cold" and a bit rough sounding during the audition?

Thanks

Maybe I'm insane, but I felt my NC400's sounded better when on for a few days. But also influential in this situation is how warm the source gear and clocks are.

Hello, the source gear at the dealer will be plenty warm so I'm not too concerned there. I too agree that the amps start to sound much better after being on for at least a few hours and even better still after being on for a few days.

My main concern is if the caps and others components in the amp will be fully discharged after being unplugged from the wall for an hour or so or if they could still possibly hold some charge enough to allow for a quick warm up time once plugged back in?

Just checking - the way that is worded, it sounds like you are only asking for answers that confirm your assumption?

Lol what I have noticed is that my system perceivably sounds best after 10pm at night. It's possible there is less noise in the power grid and also background noise is reduced because everyone is asleep!!!

I have a suspicion humidity may also affect the way we hear things i.e. if you peg your nose with your finger and close your mouth, then pressurise your ears, you will notice how certain frequencies fade away (not all strangely)! - this is simulating air pressure (high/low)

Conversely after a glass of Wine, my system is much improved!!! Hahaha

I think warm up for more than 15 minutes only really affects older Tube based equipment, personal opinion ;-)

Best regards

Lol what I have noticed is that my system perceivably sounds best after 10pm at night. It's possible there is less noise in the power grid and also background noise is reduced because everyone is asleep!!!

That, and you might just be more relaxed.

I have a suspicion humidity may also affect the way we hear things
Temperature and humidity (as well as CO2 content) affect the speed of sound in air - thus affecting room resonances, among other things. That could have audible effects, but I suspect any physical effects like that are drowned out by other perceptional variations.

i.e. if you peg your nose with your finger and close your mouth, then pressurise your ears, you will notice how certain frequencies fade away (not all strangely)! - this is simulating air pressure (high/low)
No, not really. Artificially pressurizing your ears demonstrate the effect of *unequal* pressure (thus offset) on your tympanic membrane. Under normal circumstances, air pressure variations are equalized between the outer and inner side of the tympanic membrane (so no offset / uneven pressure).

Conversely after a glass of Wine, my system is much improved!!!
That is indeed a much bigger factor than any of the other ones discussed here - but do we ever hear audiophiles discussing what the optimal amount of wine is for music enjoyment?

I think warm up for more than 15 minutes only really affects older Tube based equipment, personal opinion
I agree.

I've found about a 250ml glass of good Red Wine does it for me :)

Personally, I find a second glass provides another slight improvement, but beyond that my taste in music goes downhill... :)

Regarding Air Pressure I've often found that my ears pop (equalising) at certain times of the day...after this I (honestly) hear more clearly ;-)

How are you with flying (and even driving up/down hills)? If you have trouble equalizing normal atmospheric pressure variations (popping is a sign of trouble in equalizing normally), you might want to let an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat doctor to the rest of us) have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.