Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an open invitation to turn the circuit into an oscillator. Unless you have a 50 MHz O-scope don't even think about it.

I suppose you could use some short extensions on the voltage regulators instead to get them out of the way. Then just use the adapter with no extension. The problem is there's very little clearance between the voltage regulators and the opamp.

Those 88dB hifi loudspeaker typically have tiny VC that will get hot (and change impedance)with a few watts, small magnetic circuits and venting systems that will have difficulties to evacuate the heat, small radiating areas that will require high excursion to get a high SPL at LF, and not-that-big suspension systems (albeit already representing a non negligible part of the total radiating area...) that will hit xmax pretty quickly.

All in all if what one is looking for is 110dB+ levels, a big woofer and a compression driver is much more adequate.
(and even for <80dB listening levels IMHO :p ...)

I think Scan-Speak did a pretty good job on their Illuminator motor system.

Ok, so when is someone 'unbiased' going to buy/trial a pair of these ATSAH 500 to compare with nc400... Mr Julf? You're right there by HYPEX in Nederlands are you not? Perhaps POS and yourself could get together if you're not too far from each other ...assume you are both trustworthy and would do it correctly, for the good of everyone :)

Ok, so when is someone 'unbiased' going to buy/trial a pair of these ATSAH 500 to compare with nc400... Mr Julf? You're right there by HYPEX in Nederlands are you not? Perhaps POS and yourself could get together if you're not too far from each other ...assume you are both trustworthy and would do it correctly, for the good of everyone :)

Well, Hypex are all the way up in Groningen, in the far north of the country (from an Amsterdam perspective), but it is a small country... :)

Pretty busy with work for the next month or so, but maybe something could be arranged. Need to dust off my spectrum analyzer...

Thanks Julf, please do make haste...reading gumf like this is pricking sincere interest and would love to know if nc400 (the cheaper option) is the same as the nc500 Review: Merrill Audio Taranis stereo amplifier | Part-Time Audiophile

:)

Well you can call my opinion biased all day long. But I've owned NC400's since Feb of 2012. I just sold them last week. The better amp is going to be a personal taste thing. The NC400 does have a more transparent input buffer. But not everyone likes that. The LM4562 is a bit warmer, but it does have a sound to it just like all IC opamps.

But you say you like warm sounding gear. With a completely transparent system, you'll only have warm sound if the track you play sounds warm. So if you like everything sounding a bit warm, you'll need gear that colours the music.

If you had the exact same input buffer that's on the NC400 and connected it to the NC500, they would probably sound exactly the same until you reach the output level that the NC400 starts to audibly distort. Like the datasheet says, the NC400 reaches 1% distortion at 400w into 4 ohms. The NC500 reaches 1% distortion at 700w into 4 ohms.

Thanks Julf, please do make haste...reading gumf like this is pricking sincere interest and would love to know if nc400 (the cheaper option) is the same as the nc500 Review: Merrill Audio Taranis stereo amplifier | Part-Time Audiophile

:)

This guy slightly liked the UCD based Thor's in his system. Goes to show there's more to an amp than the module it's self.

A good shootout would be the Thor's vs the Bel Canto 600M Ref. Both almost the same price, but one with UCD400 and other with NC-500.

Status
Not open for further replies.