Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
too late, looks like RogerSch took them all :D
coincidence is that I have one of those cases (the variant with a volume knob) sitting around. I'm planning to use it for a preamp and it's been CNC'd accordingly.

I think I'll stick with the HiFi 2000 case as they're cheaper and I don't care much for the mono block approach anyway. even if they don't do customizing anymore (unlikely) I have a tungsten bit laying nearby for the worst case scenario. last time I had a generic CNC shop do a faceplate job it didn't turn so well...

too late, looks like RogerSch took them all :D
Sorry Mr_Push_Pull but when I ordered them in the middle of the night, the seller had 7 pieces left so I needed to ordered them immediately and he had still two left....

On Tuesday I'll order 5 NCore and 5 SMPS600 then I need to wait. Let's see what will be delivered first the Hypex stuff or the enclosures from China....

For the time being the amps will be connected to the Pre-outs of an ARCAM AVR350. The plan is to buy an Emotiva XMC-1 when it comes available (only when it is has good reviews).

Then I still need to replace my 5 BNS Soundcolumn speakers for something..... (Should also happen this year...)

Hi Edwin, for a bit more you can buy the Galaxy Maggiorato case (1GX183) from Modu @ ELTIM audio BV, Europe's main supplier of original MOREL drive units and related products. for 29.95€.

Thanks Roger, very interesting since they have a lot more options to
combine. I've had a look at there site but they don't mention the shipping charge for the elements. They say when you order directly at Modu, TVA and shipping is not included, so they suggest it is included in there price, which makes it very interesting.

Yesterday I made a quick 3D sketch and verified that the Proma boxes of Conrad are large enough. I had been thinking of putting 3 boxes next to each other (one for the a preamp with MiniDsp, and 2 for the mono-blocks).
The mono-blocks could also be sited next to (or integrated i,) my DIY ESL's.
For me the sound quality is why I would go for the Ncore, not to show of the cabinets. The idea was to stick a nice, handmade wooden front plate to the boxes.

Edwin

Hi Edwin, for a bit more you can buy the Galaxy Maggiorato case (1GX183) from Modu @ ELTIM audio BV, Europe's main supplier of original MOREL drive units and related products. for 29.95€. Look also at post http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/190434-hypex-ncore-222.html#post2906567 from Gillib. He used it to mount a NCore400 and SMPS600. Personally I'm also considering (99,9% sure) to buy 5 of these cases.

I was also considering these but the back panel is really a bit small if you are using XLR, 4 LS posts, IEC and switch. If only they did the same thing in say 200mm (external) width, that would suit me. I like that the front panels bolt on rather than having self tapping screws too. The size of those DAC enclosures does seem to be pretty much spot on but I'm not sure how the side and top and bottom panels are constructed. If buying them I would probably just use those and buy customised front and back plates to my own design from modushop or Schaeffer or such like. I need to do some proper thinking as I feel like I'm going round in circles a bit right now.

so, SMPS600+NCORE fits inside the Conrad box? how much clearance?

I'am having a clearing of 6.8mm between SMPS and Ncore, when NCORE is bolted flat to one part of the casing and the SMPS is fitted with 10mm spacers to the other one. Since the data-sheet of the SMPS600 has no side view I have to rely on the explanation in the sheet. Based on the way the dimensions are noted in the data sheet of SMPS400, I assumed that the SMS600 has an overall height of 40mm + 10mm spacers. This gives a clearance in the cabinet of at 7mm between them. The smaller Proma case with interior height of 69 instead of 94mm is to small. I'll have a look if it is possible to squeeze the SMPS400 and NCORE in the smaller package, but I doubt it.
Will see if I can post some images of the fitted modules this afternoon.

Edwin

so, SMPS600+NCORE fits inside the Conrad box? how much clearance?

Roger,

here are 2 drawings in 3D. In Adobat Reader, if you set the 3 last menu-items like this : Ilustration with shadow, Cad optimized lighting, background color grey
you get a view wich can be turned around to view the available space. It is also possible to switch on or of some layers to make it more readable.

It seems even possible to fit the smps400 and Ncore in the smaller package,
but then it would require the insulation between casing and SMPS as indicated in the datasheet. Smps and Ncore come rather close but only the metal cooling plate. If needed I suppose it is possible to cut of a small triangle of this plate without reducing much of the cooling capacity, but this should be verified with Hypex.

Edit. 3d version of the smaller case with smps400 is to large to upload.
If you want I can PM this file.

Attachments

• Ncore-3d SMS600-000.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Ncore-SMS400-003.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 136
I'am having a clearing of 6.8mm between SMPS and Ncore, when NCORE is bolted flat to one part of the casing and the SMPS is fitted with 10mm spacers to the other one. Since the data-sheet of the SMPS600 has no side view I have to rely on the explanation in the sheet. Based on the way the dimensions are noted in the data sheet of SMPS400, I assumed that the SMS600 has an overall height of 40mm + 10mm spacers. This gives a clearance in the cabinet of at 7mm between them. The smaller Proma case with interior height of 69 instead of 94mm is to small. I'll have a look if it is possible to squeeze the SMPS400 and NCORE in the smaller package, but I doubt it.
Will see if I can post some images of the fitted modules this afternoon.

Edwin
thanks. as far as I remember from the pics, the amp that Bruno initially sent for evaluation (with the NC1200) was a pretty tight fit so I guess the clearance won't be a problem.
now I have to decide between that case and the HiFi2000 one. thanks for the suggestion.

I think I might have come up with a solution that suits my requirements but need to do I bit more work on it yet. Probably the best thing will me to get it to a final design then possibly buy the components and finalise it once I've got everything in front of me. My first design was about 140 x 61.5 x 300 but to give decent clearances for connections I figured it would probably be better to be around 340.

The one I am about to work on would be 184 x 60 x 301 case with a slightly bigger front panal so probably 186 x 62.

This should give me a decent amount of space for wiring, connections protruding and also rear panel connections which I don't want too close together.

I am also thinking of making it as flexible as possibly (not wobbly!) so having a front push button switch and rear rocker switch, possibly with the front switch recessed a tiny bit so that vertical mounting is an option.

Ordering several parts in one go would make it cheaper but I'm also a bit wary of that as I would prefer to have one working sample to check first in case of a mistake or the finish not being as expected. All that would be necessary would for me would be to get the board mounting holes drilled.

since I remember someone saying that a vandal-type switch has no place in a high end case, I had to show you the new Jeff Rowland model 625.
I guess I'll sleep well at night thinking that I'll be using this :D

Attachments

• rowland aeris en 625 amp 500pix.jpg
    rowland aeris en 625 amp 500pix.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 994
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Before I go further with my design, is this layout the best from a wiring and positioning point of view considering I want the power input at the back and switches both front and rear? I mean regarding interference etc.

The aux is just used to power the button LED.

Excuse the diagram but it was the quickest way for me to do it.

I was going to just have a front LED and rear switch and also looked at a standby at the front but that involves a softstart module or other purpose made circuit. I'm just trying to give the flexibility really as if rack mounted (I won't be) then it is convenient to have power at the front and if mounting face down behind speakers then the rear switch is needed. I was just thinking this way I cover all options.

I have found a possible alternative switch by Bulgin which also takes up less space but it's only 3A rated. This might be enough but I'm not certain.

I've completed the layout now allowing for clearances but need to know if the proposed basic layout above is best or not (albeit that I've now spaced components out differently but in the same layout).

Review Hypex NC400 compared to…..

First of all thanks to Gonz for spending almost 9 hours helping with wrapping my two NC400 and two SMP600 into a nice enclosure. Even though Gonz says it’s a prototype the result is more than acceptable.
Listening test has been divided into several parts because it has taken place on two different installation of which preamp and Loudspeakers where the most significant difference. All cables etc. where the same.

Listening impression with Intergrated amp Accuphase E-406V, Speakers Holfi Charisma mkII , cd player Accuphase DP67

Hypex NC400 compared to Hypex UCD400ad
It easy to describe with few words – bass is deeper and much more detailed. Overall sound is more detailed and less distorted. Difference in distortion is very clearly on e.g. female voices. The amplifier is very fast which is very noticeable. Instruments like guitars sound more real but same goes for bass tones which starts and stops noticeable faster on NC400 that UCD400ad. NC400 in comparison with UCD400ad are more dynamic – not just a little bit – but a lot.

NC400 compared to Accuphase
Same impression regarding the NC400 ability to start and stop. NC400 is more detailed but compared to Accuphase NC400 sound more like a studio monitor, very revealing. Some Big Band recording sounded more natural on the Accuphase than on the NC400. Seems like NC400 just want to dig out all details where Accuphase sounds more organic. This picture changes pending on what music you play. Probably NC400 is the most correct but not necessary the most pleasant to listen to pending on type of music. Soundstage is somehow different – NC400 tends to be narrow compared to Accuphase which delivers a wider soundstage – but this also goes for e.g. solo artists which on Accuphase always are at least 1 meter wide (so to speak) anything is painted with a broad brush (hard to find out which one of them is actually most correct!)

Listening impressions with Hypex NC400 on ELAC FS249 and NLE19 preamp compared to UCD400ad
Less distortion, soundstage more defined in depth and wide, details like voices on top on each other or voices mixed close to instruments which was hard to tell from each other is now easy to define and split from each other. Bass is more defined and much more controlled. Overall the NC400 sound more natural and is easy to listen to for a longer period caused by the low distortion (I assume).

Overall impression
First of all it’s hard to understand that such a rich and power full sound comes from such a small and low weighted box. None of the amplifiers we have heard in the same price range (and assumingly more expensive as well) delivers anything near in dynamic, low distortion and very precise bass reproduction like the NC400. No one says that NC400 is sounding neutral – if you can live with its monitor way of playing revealing all details you got a winner (Bass freaks will be facing a hard time with neighbors).

Bruno keep up the good work.

Hypex NC400

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hypex ucd400ad

Hypex ucd400ad

Last edited:
I've managed to get the price down for fairly bespoke cases down to an estimated £216 for a pair now not including any components, switching or wiring. Of course the price would come down if I ordered more but it's a risk ordering that many without trying one first. I think I will try and see if a local company will produce the face and back plates for me as that would make it much easier. I wouldn't be wanting to sell them as a business but might consider making more to save costs for all. I just need to double check the layout and I don't have precise measurements for a couple of bits yet but pretty much there! I think I'd best order my amps and power supplies now.

Status
Not open for further replies.