Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Hypex Ncore
Hypex Ncore
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 11th February 2016, 01:29 PM   #10111
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Not mentioned yet the electrostatic shield between primary and secondary windings which effictively capacitively shunts high frequency rubbish to ground.
That's a fairly big assumption - that there is a clean enough ground to dump the rubbish to, without dirtying it Mains cables do tend to have a significant inductance, as does the mains earth wiring in the installation.

Old 11th February 2016, 01:33 PM   #10112
pieter t is offline pieter t  Netherlands
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
Theta use a 1.2kW toroid. I'd be surprised if it was getting stressed.
A "1.2kW toroid" does not tell us anything about core excitation (and the possible drawbacks).
On the contrary! When it is a high excitation transformer it could actually do more harm than a lower power high excitation transformer.

Old 11th February 2016, 01:40 PM   #10113

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
That's a fairly big assumption - that there is a clean enough ground to dump the rubbish to, without dirtying it Mains cables do tend to have a significant inductance, as does the mains earth wiring in the installation.
Without diving into the subject of cable inductance, mains earth wiring and ground cleaness, IME power supply transformers with shields are effective; it is the most simple (and cheapest!) way to clean up a power supply.

Old 11th February 2016, 01:44 PM   #10114
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
I tend to prefer common-mode chokes myself as their action is independent of the quality of the ground connection (very variable in practice). Not knocking screens but they are a bit hit-and-miss.

Old 11th February 2016, 02:20 PM   #10115

Sure when they improve the quality of the supply, but seldom seen in linear power supplies.

Old 11th February 2016, 04:01 PM   #10116
colmo is offline colmo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
Hello fellow nCore Enthusiasts

Well I finally made it round to Colin's (aka Boggit) place yester eve to collect my nc500 amplifiers

Colin, thank you for inviting me into your home and offering me your Beer too (I remained sober and didn't have any for the record as it was 2-3 hour drive home) :-)

So of course I had an opportunity to listen to the Standard and Colin's UP Buffers, with both BURSON v5 and the SPARKOS OpAmps

What I can say is that the differences are not MASSIVE, but they do alter the character of the nc500 vs. standard OpAmp

These comments below are me listening to music in Colin's system, of which I am not familiar, but this is what I could discern...

Standard LM4562 - clean and linear, treble not explicitly fatiguing in any way, but when compared to the latter, could be contrived as a little boring (I am aware another Source/Pre-amp may change this)!

BURSON v5 - Seems to emphasize more of the Midrange and Upper Bass and also glazes over the Treble in a subtle, non-ear-hurting way

SPARKOS - does similar to the BURSON v5 but just not as much, however the more noticeable difference is in the treble, which seems to glaze over the high-frequencies a bit more than BURSON (a hazy, valve-like signature)

In Colin's system the BURSON v5 delivers more punch and warmth, by contrast the SPARKOS smooths the treble over a bit more and sounds a little more laid-back in doing this

Like Colin, I preferred the SPARKOS, just slightly, because shrill treble annoys me the most and there are few recordings out there that don't exhibit this ear-piercing sibilant demeanor - honestly, often makes me want to watch a movie instead of listening to my music or need glass of wine to dull my senses.

The BURSON v5 may be more suited to a dull sounding system, or persons that like hard rock (and maybe Symphony, like Colmo claims it makes instruments stand out more)

Anyway, I got home just before midnight so have not had a good opportunity to compare the nc500 to my BiAmped TAG McLaren 60P yet
...I did quickly wire the nc500 up to my LINN KOMPONENT (800 Rear Speakers) as a 2.0 Stereo config, in case I blew them up it wouldn't be the end of the world unlike my beloved 5000 MA PL200! With those mid-fi speakers, I can't tell any difference to the TAG McLaren amplifiers that powered them previously.

More news soon ...bring forth the WEEKEND! :-D
Did you get any op amps to try or are you using the LM4562

Old 11th February 2016, 05:11 PM   #10117
ti33er is offline ti33er
diyAudio Member

Hello Colin

I'm using the standard Buffer for now. My plan is to expand my nc500 empire to 4 or 5 channels, because I watch (probably) more movies than I listen to music :-)

It's all work in progress and buying as I can afford

The default sound I heard at Colin's place was not bad in any respect

Old 11th February 2016, 08:04 PM   #10118
NATDBERG is offline NATDBERG  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti33er View Post
Hello Colin

I'm using the standard Buffer for now. My plan is to expand my nc500 empire to 4 or 5 channels, because I watch (probably) more movies than I listen to music :-)

It's all work in progress and buying as I can afford

The default sound I heard at Colin's place was not bad in any respect
Indeed, the glazing over of the treble you mentioned made it sound like the standard was the best sounding whilst the other two made it less defined, hazier.

Was that what you meant by those words (well, I just repeated the very same words.. so that doesn't help! )

Old 11th February 2016, 09:51 PM   #10119
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
OMG Julf. Did you see the twists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMm4GsUDyLI
The comments on the Dutch board were along "was that the one done by the summer intern?"

Old 11th February 2016, 10:03 PM   #10120
ti33er is offline ti33er
diyAudio Member

Hi NATDBERG

I think it would really depend on your system and taste

I liked the treble from the Sparkos...in Colin's system at least

In my case, think I need to evaluate these things on my (long awaited) John Westlake FDAC before making up my mind, once 'we' get them ...sometimes you can't change your Source easily, just like I would have just stuck with an OPPO BDP-105D beforehand, which I find on the bright side. These may need some Valve amp to sound right to my ears (I was looking at Valve alternatives because I like that hazy tube signature...a lot of people do)

Closed Thread

Hypex NcoreHide this!Advertise here!