ICEpower 50asx2 modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Haikk
So have you tried to convert SE module to BTL?
Not yet,,I'm too busy on hollydays ;)
I've just received the cables.

I found some info about BB's DRV134 amps. Is there better way to convert signal to balanced?
Better I don' know ! but I'm planning to use this chip, ghent audio is using it for commercials amps base on IcePower modules. I will look for a ready made module or kit or use this design :

Project files: A bal. driver with the THAT1646 | theslowdiyer

BR

Pascal

Last edited:
Hi there,

I have a pair of 50ASX2's witch I am trying to convert to BTL. My understanding is that you can just remove and re-solder the jumper to P400 and use P104 as the output. Witch I did but am not getting the results I intended, when there is audio playing it sounds very quiet and crackley. I have a balance input with live going to pin 4, neutral 7 and GND 5.

Is there anyone who has successfully done this? Or is it just the case that it is not possible to do so. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

One year ago I wrote to IcePower support:

12jan2017
Hello,
I cannot find 50ASX2-BTL amplifiers anywhere. Can I convert the SE version to the BTL version by simply desoldering the W401 jumper and resoldering it into the W400 position (marked BTL on the bottom of the board)?
Philip Bamberg

IcePower's reply:

Dear Philip,
Using the SE module in BTL mode will cause:
Bad audio performance in BTL mode with high distortion (since the two channels are not switching in sync as they should when running in BTL, because they are designed for SE mode) – Also the two common mode chokes will not work (bad EMC performance).
Best Regards
Lars

--

I had to use a phase splitter when running my 50asx2-BTL modules. So maybe Lars was claiming poor quality when trying to input an SE signal into the BTL configuration. I did not spell it out that he should assume I would provide the converted amp module with a balanced input.

Comments anyone?

Hello all. I have two 50ASXBTL which I pulled out of some old Gallien Krueger MB200 bass heads. I'm going to use them to build a small stereo power amp. I have read posts where a mod to the 50ASXBTL input stage opens up the HF a little and some feel that the overall sound is improved. Is there anyone who has done this mod, which I believe involves removing/bypassing some caps and a resistor? If so, is anyone able to post a pic showing which components on the board are the relevant ones, and/or further clarification of this mod? I do like the solid bass response of these modules as well as the tonal density through the midrange, and also the depth perception is good, but the HF is where I have a question mark regarding the sound...it does sound a little "shut in" and lacking extension. Many thanks in advance if anybody can offer improvements for this.

Where can we get this modules for 60$ ? I am inerested in building some simple stereo amplifier ;-) I saw that they are available at part-express.com but for 120$ and it is still quite hard to import them to Europe - I am not sure if part-express can send it to Europe...

Hi baszek,

You can buy then in Europe at profusion.plc :

ICEpower Class D Amps Guide | Profusion

Best Reagards,

Pascal

Where can we get this modules for 60$ ? I am inerested in building some simple stereo amplifier ;-) I saw that they are available at part-express.com but for 120$ and it is still quite hard to import them to Europe - I am not sure if part-express can send it to Europe...
£ 91.43 for ICEPOWER50ASX2-SE it is more expensive than at part-express.com ;-)

Last edited:
I have a 50ASX2 BTL version I would like to swap for an SE. I bought it by mistake, but I understand some people prefer to use the BTL and build 170W mono blocks with them. I've found some conversions from SE to BTL for that purpose, but going the other way would require me to add L402 to the board, which I don't have specs for. The board is new, never been powered-up. If you're interested in a swap, please PM me, thanks.

I have the 50w, and 125w modules, and I plan on running them in balanced.tTey will be fed from a Xilica xp4080 crossover...where can Inget a buffer for them?

Also is there any problem with running the amp modules in the speaker cabinet?

Hi,

The 50 ASX2 et 125 ASX2 modules are unbalanced modules.

I've used this buffer design for my 4 channels amp based on two 50 ASX2 SE amp :

Project files: Opamp buffer for ICEpower ASX-modules | theslowdiyer

Inching forward… | theslowdiyer

To connect balanced to an unbalanced sources you need to connect the pin positive polarity (hot) to unbalanced + signal and negative polarity (cold) and shield to unbalanced - signal pin. You cand do google search RCA to XLR cabling or balanced to unbalanced cabling.

BR Pascal

Hi,

The 50 ASX2 et 125 ASX2 modules are unbalanced modules.

I've used this buffer design for my 4 channels amp based on two 50 ASX2 SE amp :

Project files: Opamp buffer for ICEpower ASX-modules | theslowdiyer

Inching forward… | theslowdiyer

To connect balanced to an unbalanced sources you need to connect the pin positive polarity (hot) to unbalanced + signal and negative polarity (cold) and shield to unbalanced - signal pin. You cand do google search RCA to XLR cabling or balanced to unbalanced cabling.

BR Pascal
There is a jumper on the 125w version, and I have 2 NOS ones that are converted to balanced already. I have balanced sources. Do I still need a buffer, and if so where do I find one for a balanced setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.