High power Class D chip solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
High power class D chips

There are no chips available which can withstand > +/-100v and will run at 350-600KHz.

The only chip that we have tried for full range is the IRS21834 but it has a large propagation delay which precludes it from the higher clock.

Our company produces full range high end class D amplifiers for the home and mobile markets.

After much soul searching for a decent high power (>1,000w at 4 ohm) I have moved away from class D and used a class B with a signal tracking supply in addition to a stepped rail switcher. So the efficiency is very high and I do not suffer from the issues of class D amplifiers.

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio

Hi,
What is the main difference for example to the TA3020 ? I know that this chip can drive MOS-FETs up to 300 W per channel. Is it a controller + powerchip in one unit and the TCA2002 only a controller ?

Because of the gate driver that's built in to the TA3020, it has a max supply limit of +/-65V.

The TC(A)200x is just a controller/modulator, so the max supply voltage for a design based on this IC will only be limited by the chosen gate driver and FETs.

Because of the gate driver that's built in to the TA3020, it has a max supply limit of +/-65V.

The TC(A)200x is just a controller/modulator, so the max supply voltage for a design based on this IC will only be limited by the chosen gate driver and FETs.
Thanks much. O.K. this means more design space for the the TC(A) units.
Hope also to realize one day a hit powerful amp with one of these Tripaths.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.