Guide to build Hypex Modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amp:

Hi
I am absolutely a newbie in amp diy but as i had read all the positive treads about that than i decided to try this way too. So after analising what it is going on the market i bought some modules from hypex (2 Modules UCD 400 Hrx, Softstart and the SMPTS 1200/400). i wanted to have best quality and a easy to build. Yesterday i got them (thanks to hypex, very fast and safe delivery-perfect!). Now i am not sure if this is so easy to put tem together. i am quit familar with building PC stuff, but this seems to be a it more complicate...and also more dangerous. So here my question. Is there somewhere a guide (with pictures?) to put these modules and all the connections (RCA, XLR and LS bindingsposts) together? I tried the search function but i could not find something like that and i guess there are a lot people who will appreciate a detailed guide.
So i would be very pleased to get some help. Thanks a lot.

Souldiver

First I would test SMPS and Soft start, so that you know everything is ok with supply
You put AC to softstart, then out of softS goes to smps AC input.

That I think should be enough to produce voltages (don't know if there is any minimum load for smps)

If it gives rated voltages, then connect one of the amps, after supply has been turned off for "1min" (to discharge capacitors). Then you have + and - and gnd to conenct (there also could be some other, if amp needs more then only main voltage)

Speaker connected to output (at least some 4-16R resistor), no input connected yet...
power it up, and check that there is 0Vdc offset on output
If so, turn off supply, add input to amp, find 50Hz test tone, low volume on source
10% would do... turn on smps... and check that you read some AC voltage... if you do, you can replace resistor with speaker, if you don't already have

Do the same with other amp (one at the time, so that you know they both work)
And that should be it

Thank Luka for your help (you have a nice homepage :) )i will follow your suggestions but if somebody has some pictures i would really appreciate that. so i can go with the softstart modul as well? is there any advantage or even desadvantage when i will use a softstart?

Thanks again to everybody;)

hey thanks for that, always trying to make it better, but lack the feedback on that

Yes you can go with softstart too, I always use one with my own smps
advantage would be soft start
desadvantage more circuit to use, but now that you have, I would use it

what kinda picture are you looking for(I mean I know what you want, but picture won't make it any more clear... but if you feel that it will, post the picture of smps and amp on the same one... and I guess we can draw some lines up and down), isn't there any from hypex?

Luka, thanks a lot for your help. :)

So i will go with softstart. Now, unfortunately i could not find anything "draw" from Hypex (they should do that....a lot more potential customer would appreciate such a help!).

So Luka, i will put a picture just below. tell me if this will work.;)

Regards

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    427.5 KB · Views: 2,582
Soft-Start:

Hi souldriver, Luka is right, most SMPS include a soft start feature and you do not need an additional one. However, make sure by consulting the specs.

With linear supplies, I recommend a soft start if you use a transformer with about 400 VA or more. Others put the limit at 500 VA. It also depends on cap size you use in the power supply; if you have a really large capacitor bank, I probably would use a current limiting soft start with transformers of 300 VA or more.

A linear power supply plus soft start is always significantly more expensive than an SMPS of similar power rating. Does it sound better? Hard to say, I`m sure this depends on a lot of things and you may get good SQ with either type of supply if everything is done right. If you search a bit, you`ll find post of Hypex users with linear supplies and with switched supplies and each report excellent sound quality. I have not seen a post with a direct A/B switching, level matched comparison of the Hypex linear supply and the Hypex SMPS, although this would be quite interesting.

First I would test SMPS and Soft start, so that you know everything is ok with supply
You put AC to softstart, then out of softS goes to smps AC input.

Then you have + and - and gnd to conenct (there also could be some other, if amp needs more then only main voltage)

That's generally good advice, but IMHO the extra soft start circuitry isn't necessary nor does it help in any way when using SMPS (just my opinion). I don't where it would hurt though.

I've built 2 amps using a total of 9 Hypex modules (a 5.1 surround and a 2.1) using SMPS power supplies and there is no surge when the SMPS are powered up nor do the Hypex modules emit any turn on/off noise.

The power supply has (needs) a ground and positive and negative outputs (balanced supply) or you can make one by putting two single power supplies in series.

The data sheets for the modules show the power connections, the speaker connections, and the balanced input connectors. Hook those up and you're done - oh yeah, ground the fourth "control" pin next to the input pins or the amp won't work.

If your input is from a device with RCA outs, ground the negative input and use the positive one for the input. Connect the fourth control pin to ground - no switch required unless you want to use "standby mode". I'd prefer to just turn the power off when not in use. The amp takes 2 seconds to cold start. I can live with that. There is practically zero turn on/off noise.

You're going to love your new amp. The Hypex modules sound great.

If there's something that's not clear - DON'T hook it up. WAIT for help. Reversing the polarity of the supply will ruin the modules (according to Hypex). That would be an expensive mistake. This is more difficult than building a computer. I build those too and all you have to do is plug everything together - no soldering or drilling or painting, etc.

Good luck, take your time, and you will have what IMHO is a first class amp that would be VERY difficult to beat in any listening test. I've done my own and most others also agree. Good choice.:)

Ok so here it is

Do NOTE, that I would only connect smps alone, and measure if output voltages are on the right pins. That is on J1 on smps, 2x3 pin connector,
top right pin should be GND, upper middle one +Vcc and bottom middle should be -Vcc. If this is right, then you have something like this

This would be minimum that you need to connect

Red is +Vcc
Black is GND
Blue is -Vcc

On the amps, J1, you need signal on pin 1, left one, and pin next to it, which is signal GND (note that it doesn't say, which is pin1, but you can measure if pin 2 (gnd) is connected to supply pin GND J5 on amp)

Connections.png

There could be something else to connect, so somebody else should check what I did, and let me know if it is not ok, so I can change it and repost it (I'll delete this picture and replace it with corrected)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I thnk this looks corrrect...

However - pin 4 on the UcD's input connector needs to be connected to power GND (the black wires on the drawing above), or else the UcD modules will not power on. This is the pin that is to the right on the input connector, close to the output pins.

Last edited:
I thnk this looks corrrect...

However - pin 4 on the UcD's input connector needs to be connected to power GND (the black wires on the drawing above), or else the UcD modules will not power on. This is the pin that is to the right on the input connector, close to the output pins.
Aha, I was thinking what that is... coz there is also such pin on smps, which probably does this after some time, instead of right away

Silicone or glue?

Hi again
Now i have all the parts. unfortunately this wonderfull case i got just a few days ago i do need to drill holes. Now i have on the left and right side a very heavy ( i guess about 8cm) heatsink. My question is if it is possible to use a glue (which one?) or silicone (for higher temperatur) to put the small Hypex Modules UCD 400 on these heatsinks. What do you mean, is this a good idea or are the modules to "hot" to fix with glues?

Thanks a lot for an idea or any recommandations. :mischiev:
Souldriver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.