Pics of a UcD180 build for my son...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I started this build last year based on a pair of UcD180's, a Hypex SMPS180, and a MiniDSP housed in a nice Chinese chassis. My initial intention was to create a killer dorm system for my son at college (he's going to RIT) that would run a pair of Exodus Keplers which I built for him as well. I planned to give him a USB interface to configure the MiniDSP to allow him to reconfigure the unit on the fly with stereo sub outs and the ability to push the XO around to tune it for parties etc. But I wound up using the MiniDSP just for local volume control because I ran out of time and space on the back-plane (small cases are a hassle). So, he's leaving this weekend with this unit as it is. Life happens. <shrug>

Hopefully I will still win the "cool-dad" prize. :)

It's still a cool unit and sounds fabulous. So, for your viewing pleasure I present the following images.

P.S. I still want one for me...

Regards,
Tom

<edit> sorry for the blurry last foto...

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply...

I also wanted to add another amp or two but foot-print won the day. I want, however, in the next iteration of this build, to put two line-level outs off the 4 channel MiniDSP so he could stack a few of these units together and program the MiniDSP's to do pass-thru. He could pass them thru straight or send filtered signals to other power amps, powered subs or multi-way speakers.

I liked the option of having a master volume on the unit. The side benefit is that since the MiniDSP isn't putting an audio signal thru the pot it can be cheap.

I have some bigger builds in the works but I am still looking forward to some fun messing with these things.

Please post some pics and a description of what you are working on. I'd love to see 'em...

Regards,
Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.