Class D Amp with LM566, LM393 and 2XIRF530

I did a similar project using a TL082 triangle wave generator, LM319 comparator, XOR gates phass splitter and IR2113 mosfet driver.
I didnt use any feedback at all yet it sounded great.

The only minor problem I found was I needed to null the DC offset using a pot or i got low level hum. Must have been an inaccuracy somewhere in the line.

If you don't use any feedback, PSRR becomes 0dB. Ripple from supply rails appears directly at the ouput.

Triangle Oscilator with NE555, out can be connect to pin 5 of LM393.

Attachments

• NE555 Triangle Oscilator.jpg
    NE555 Triangle Oscilator.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 5,464
Last edited:
If you don't use any feedback, PSRR becomes 0dB. Ripple from supply rails appears directly at the ouput.
Perhaps the regulated power supply of the Linn power amp model "Klout" is helpful (have a look to the attachement).
LM566 VCO seems unobtainable.
here a German supplier:
SE566H A15/2475 - SH-Halbleiter Electronic Vertrieb GmbH
According the internal - not too complicated circuit - go to the datasheets about
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/166/53609_DS.pdf
and
NE566N datasheet pdf datenblatt - NXP Semiconductors - Function generator ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
it must be easy possible to create the wanted functions with discrete decices.

Attachments

• C_tmp_Linn Kloud_ckt.pdf
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,454
  • C_Linn_Kloud control_ckt.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 802
  • C_Linn Kloud_control_ckt.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 641
  • C_Linn Kloud control_ckt.pdf
    48.3 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Perhaps the regulated power supply of the Linn power amp model "Klout" is helpful (have a look to the attachement).

here a German supplier:
SE566H A15/2475 - SH-Halbleiter Electronic Vertrieb GmbH
According the internal - not too complicated circuit - go to the datasheets about
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/166/53609_DS.pdf
and
NE566N datasheet pdf datenblatt - NXP Semiconductors - Function generator ::: ALLDATASHEET :::
it must be easy possible to create the wanted functions with discrete decices.

Or ICL8038 ICL8038

Detailed Schematic page 4

I dont't understand why someone will make a 25w discrete class d amplifier, apart from learning. There are many integrated circuits with better performance.
I understand this. The reason is the unknown time of availability. Most Class-D IC's in currently day's are obsolete and no longer available after very few years.
Otherwise brands like B&O (ICEPOWER), Hypex (UCD) and several others
would prefer monolithic IC's instead discrete solutions.
An second reason could be the possibility of detail improvements while the current production.

Last edited:
Icepower and Hypex make discrete amplifiers because they want to achieve higher power and lower distortions than those of the integrated circuits. And they don't make with lm393 and irf530:D
This schematic have low power and high distortions because of that parts, feedback topology and bad pcb layout. It has poorer performance than most integrated circuits. And is more difficult to make Only drawbacks, for what?
You are right about that some integrated circuits get obsolete, but we talk there from the point of view of a diyer. If some integrated circuit will get obsolete, we can simply pick another ic for our amplifier project. We don't have to modify our production line.
JBL and others use something like that in some products because were designed many years back. In those years that was the level of class d and they didn't have many integrated circuits.In 2011 , this schematic is a shame for class d.
Anyway, if you want to make a discrete amp,is better to make something like um10155 or with irs2092. For those you find a good pcb layout in the application notes. Theese have low distortions and can be scaled for higher power. You will get way better performance than this junk.

Last edited:
I can't find simple 'diy frendly' functional amp on this forum... this is JBL full bridge 500W amp with TL072, IR2111 and 4xIRFP250, work good with 18inch PA sub. Next is CREST clone with NE5532, LM319 and IR2113...

Attachments

• PB160195.jpg
    PB160195.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 4,614
  • PB160196.jpg
    PB160196.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 4,425

Attachments

• SONY UCD2.JPG
    SONY UCD2.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 4,094
  • SONY UCD1.JPG
    SONY UCD1.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 4,265
  • ONKYO UCD2.JPG
    ONKYO UCD2.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 4,405
  • ONKYO UCD1.JPG
    ONKYO UCD1.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,159
Last edited:
I can't find simple 'diy frendly' functional amp on this forum... this is JBL full bridge 500W amp with TL072, IR2111 and 4xIRFP250, work good with 18inch PA sub. Next is CREST clone with NE5532, LM319 and IR2113...
about the thread
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/153098-building-1000w-8ohms-class-d-amplifier-zero.html
there is also to find an interesting approach.
Actually it would be helpful to create a Class-D evaluation board, to find out the pros and cons of various topologies and sample rates - with discrete devices of course (or quasi-discrete with standart ICs like drivers, comparators, VCO's and operational amplifier).
Who is able to develope such an evaluation board?

Actually it would be helpful to create a Class-D evaluation board, to find out the pros and cons of various topologies and sample rates - with discrete devices of course (or quasi-discrete with standart ICs like drivers, comparators, VCO's and operational amplifier).
Who is able to develope such an evaluation board?
Agreed, and since I need such a "sandbox" myself, I am re-targeting the one in this thread for that purpose. One difficult decision is SMD vs. through-hole: SMD is not DIY-friendly, but through-hole drastically restricts the choice of eg modern drivers, and places limits on speed. Currently I'm playing with partitioning concepts, i.e. have a TH base board and SMD daughterboards.
Stay tuned...