Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Fried my UCD 180AD
Fried my UCD 180AD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th May 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Fried my UCD 180AD

Dusting my preamp and something twitched... Maybe a contact wiggled in the XO, not entirely sure, but I now have a very nice producer of 13V DC on one channel.

Anyone blown (and hopefully, repaired) these before? I was under the impression that they were bulletproof having gotten half a decade of quality service from mine. I'm not terribly enthused with the prospect of having to upgrade both modules (cash is tight).
Old 11th May 2010, 06:23 AM   #2
MOER is offline MOER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Ucd

We have repaired several of these. If you wish us to repair yours please contact me at zedaudio@aol.com or call me at the factory at 805 526 5315

Steve
Old 11th May 2010, 10:50 AM   #3
TicksNLeeches is offline TicksNLeeches  Austria
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOER View Post
We have repaired several of these. If you wish us to repair yours please contact me at zedaudio@aol.com or call me at the factory at 805 526 5315

Steve
How much do you charge and can you guarantee your work? We have lots to fix
Old 11th May 2010, 12:18 PM   #4
fb is offline fb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Is there a reliability issue with these? Are the ST and HG models the same?
Old 11th May 2010, 12:46 PM   #5
TicksNLeeches is offline TicksNLeeches  Austria
Banned

Maybe if the OP wants to try fixing it himself he could check for expected 15 or 12 volts at the op amp supply rails, and checking for offset on either side of the coupling caps could be informative, especially if they're the stock electrolytics, which could last a lifetime but maybe they dried out and should be upgraded anyway.

Checking for proper continuity along the input path, including the connectors and cables wouldn't hurt either, the later easily done by swapping with the working channel.

You can desolder the mosfets and check them with an ohmeter for a failed output stage if worst comes to worst but check the simple things first. You stated this occured while cleaning your pre, perhaps internally, so maybe that's the source of your fault. Have you checked to see if there's any offset or short at the pre? Also easily verified by swapping with a working channel.

I'm sure MOER can walk us through the rest if there's anything more harder.
Old 11th May 2010, 10:14 PM   #6
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

No issues in the pre-amplifier playback chain. I'll see if I can get a gander at the offsets but I'll likely just zip it over to MOER depending on pricing.
Old 13th May 2010, 05:12 AM   #7
MOER is offline MOER  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Repairing UCD modules

We have a lot of experience with these. Due to the fact that we manufacture our own Class D amplifiers, we have access to quite a selection of low gate charge MOSFETs. Since the UCD modules were introduced there has been much advancement in MOSFET technology.

With UCD amplifiers the biggest pain is when the small epoxy coated board goes bad as one has to remove the epoxy and repair it....time consuming.

I have considered designing a drop in replacement for this board as all UCD modules use the same basic front end. I would do this if enough repairs came our way.

The dead time is adjusted on the mother board with either a trimmer or a fixed resistor.

All the parts on the mother board we keep in stock.

The over current limiters in these UCD modules are NO guarantee that they will protect into a shorted or very low Z load.

Steve Mantz
Zed Audio
805 526 5315
Zed Audio Corporation
Old 13th May 2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Jan-Peter is offline Jan-Peter  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Dusting my preamp and something twitched... Maybe a contact wiggled in the XO, not entirely sure, but I now have a very nice producer of 13V DC on one channel.

Anyone blown (and hopefully, repaired) these before? I was under the impression that they were bulletproof having gotten half a decade of quality service from mine. I'm not terribly enthused with the prospect of having to upgrade both modules (cash is tight).
For service you can always return the modules to Hypex. Please contact rma (at) hypex (dot) nl.

Repairs by third parties are not supported by Hypex.

In the case we cannot fix the older AD modules we offer you some discount if you buy a new HG modules. This is decided on a case to case basis.

Regards,

Jan-Peter
Old 13th May 2010, 10:25 AM   #9
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
An improved current limiting circuit, making the modules able to work indefinitely into any load impedance, would prevent far more unpleasant things to happen than all that high-end stuff (buffers, fashion op-amps, exotic components).

I managed to add both instantaneous (no delay) current limiting (self oscillating) and long-term true-rms current limiting to my phase-shift oscillating circuit with just a LM319, a couple TL062 and another TL072 and a pair of NAND gates. TL062 used in a non-conventional way can make a poor-man four-quadrant multiplier with <10% error. These parts cost as much as an exotic op-amp, but there is substantial engineering work involved (unlike in replacing a standard part by a exotic one).
Old 19th May 2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Ianmac is offline Ianmac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Peter View Post
For service you can always return the modules to Hypex. Please contact rma (at) hypex (dot) nl.

Repairs by third parties are not supported by Hypex.

In the case we cannot fix the older AD modules we offer you some discount if you buy a new HG modules. This is decided on a case to case basis.

Regards,

Jan-Peter
Make sure you have plenty of time on hand. I returned a brand new faulty SMPS board to hypex almost 4 weeks ago and am still waiting.
No music for 4 weeks now.
Not a happy chap.
Perhaps what is even more worrying is there a reliability issue with the Ucd modules?

Ianmac

Fried my UCD 180ADHide this!Advertise here!