Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

New TK2050 board
New TK2050 board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2010, 06:23 PM   #71
Geopoliticus is offline Geopoliticus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Nick and others.

I want to build a Class-T amp for my father as a surprise (as he doesn't know what these highly efficient amps are capable of), but which board gives the best performance in your opinion? I don't have that much money to spend on 4-5 different boards + cabinet, PSU and other small parts. I want to get this as good as possible from the start.

Thank you guys in advance, cheers!
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:11 PM   #72
Nick122147 is offline Nick122147  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopoliticus View Post
Nick and others.

I want to build a Class-T amp for my father as a surprise (as he doesn't know what these highly efficient amps are capable of), but which board gives the best performance in your opinion? I don't have that much money to spend on 4-5 different boards + cabinet, PSU and other small parts. I want to get this as good as possible from the start.

Thank you guys in advance, cheers!
Thats a difficult question to answear, because only I know this board, and I only know this board. (really satisfied with that sentence
However, I havn't got any problems with mine, and I think the sound is wonderful, so I would surely recommend this board.
Old 4th May 2010, 07:30 AM   #73
Geopoliticus is offline Geopoliticus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick122147 View Post
Thats a difficult question to answear, because only I know this board, and I only know this board. (really satisfied with that sentence
However, I havn't got any problems with mine, and I think the sound is wonderful, so I would surely recommend this board.

Is the board you're using modified in any way compared to the standard stock? Will I get better sound quality if I use an ALPS vol. pot. instead of the standard one (if it's possible to change the standard pot. on the board of course).
Old 5th May 2010, 07:10 AM   #74
Nick122147 is offline Nick122147  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopoliticus View Post
Is the board you're using modified in any way compared to the standard stock? Will I get better sound quality if I use an ALPS vol. pot. instead of the standard one (if it's possible to change the standard pot. on the board of course).
I changed the input caps to mundorf mkp, but the difference is not hugh, I think the stock (big blue) input caps are already decent.

I'm not sure about the pot. Sendler wrote earlier that the best it to have the pot on the board like on this one.
Old 8th May 2010, 02:36 AM   #75
hifimediy is offline hifimediy  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by applevalleyjoe View Post
Great looking boards! Do you make any other products? I'm looking for some regulators, low jitter clocks, and power supply for the clock.
Hi, yes i have other boards, and i will post them here next time.
Old 8th May 2010, 02:47 PM   #76
noj91 is offline noj91  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi all.thanks to Nick122147 I received one of these boards on Friday.

Build quality is great and so is the sound.I have been using a sure 4x 100W board for a few months and have experience with other tripath chips 2024,2020 and 3020 guess I'm a tripath fan lol.still early for any comparisons as the amp only has a couple of hours on it but early impressions are very favourable,it does not get hot the dc offsets
were less than 1mV and 5.8mV and I guess the two multiturn trimpots are to adjust this but I haven't had a play yet.Turn on off noises are non existent thanks to the relays on the output however on switch off the mute is not fast enough to suppress the squawk from my dac if everything is powered off together but its load better than the sure board in this respect.
Currently power the amp with a meanwell 24V 350watt smps via the onboard ac in connectors but have made provision to connect direct to the tank capacitor.

Overall very happy, insanely good value Thanks again Nick.

cheers jon
Old 8th May 2010, 04:24 PM   #77
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default shoot out?

It would great to get your comparison of all of your Tripath amps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noj91 View Post
Hi all.thanks to Nick122147 I received one of these boards on Friday.

Build quality is great and so is the sound.I have been using a sure 4x 100W board for a few months and have experience with other tripath chips 2024,2020 and 3020 guess I'm a tripath fan lol.still early for any comparisons as the amp only has a couple of hours on it but early impressions are very favourable,it does not get hot the dc offsets
were less than 1mV and 5.8mV and I guess the two multiturn trimpots are to adjust this but I haven't had a play yet.Turn on off noises are non existent thanks to the relays on the output however on switch off the mute is not fast enough to suppress the squawk from my dac if everything is powered off together but its load better than the sure board in this respect.
Currently power the amp with a meanwell 24V 350watt smps via the onboard ac in connectors but have made provision to connect direct to the tank capacitor.

Overall very happy, insanely good value Thanks again Nick.

cheers jon
Old 8th May 2010, 06:47 PM   #78
noj91 is offline noj91  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott, shoot out not really an option as all my amps get knocked down for reuse of parts power supplies etc
off topic sorry, it all began with the sonic impact,heard all the hype got one from the states and oh my what a revelation! my dennon pma 250 mkii has not been powered up since (good class AB amp) Next came the Audiodigit (Italian) 2020 amp definite improvement and the quietest blackest background of all my tripaths. Experiments with different power supplies lead to the conclusion that these D amps love the stiff supply from a smps and for about a year I ran the 2020 of a 12V 12.5A smps and absolutely loved it.
Enter the TK2050 chipset in the form of the Teac A-L700P a pair acquired on fleabay for peanuts and subsequently monoblocked, the extra power seemed to control my proac response 1 clones effortlessly.
Next came the cheap full rangers from Taiwan tangband 3 inch in a small br enclosure
Wow that got my attention such coherence and vocal clarity for 30quid! needs to say the proacs. are gathering dust.
Next Connexelectronics trupath just had to hear one but noisiest background of my tripath experience not really bad but compared to the Italian job poor. never did resolve that(powered by a linear supply)Fantastic sounding amp and Christi's products are of excellent quality.
Then the sure 4x100 clunky but great sounding first one was dead on two channels on arrival but sure replaced it no quibbles
Now the latest incarnation .Its more compact than the sure board, my feeling is it's of better quality sounds every bit as good if not better (early days yet)
sorry for off topic.
Scott I'd love to see some pics of your implementation of the Wurth inductors on the two channel sure board I guess they're buried somewhere in that thread a link would be nice.

system pc lossless to big dac(lundall output traffo mod) to Eva (lightspeed type vol control) to power amp

cheers jon

systemhttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/1912820/SNV30750.JPG

Last edited by noj91; 8th May 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: forgot to attach
Old 8th May 2010, 07:56 PM   #79
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Photos

I am planning to change the layout by scraping two ground points under the board in order to eliminate the leads and to move the zobel underneath but this is what my 2X100 boards look like now. The Wurth coils look just like the stock coils.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZalmanZM-NB47Jcomp.jpg (152.0 KB, 1094 views)
File Type: jpg Sure with hand wound bottom comp.jpg (151.0 KB, 1017 views)
Old 10th May 2010, 07:40 AM   #80
niss_man is offline niss_man  Australia
diyAudio Member

Is it possible to add some tone controls to the imput of hifimediy's nice looking amp? Could someone show a circuit doing so?

New TK2050 boardHide this!Advertise here!