Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

New TK2050 board
New TK2050 board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2010, 07:15 PM   #671
SoldierAnt76 is offline SoldierAnt76  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc08 View Post
You seem to be kind of missing the point. This is not battle of the PSUs to be right or wrong. You use what ever PSU fits your wallet, your ears and whatever else criteria you have set up. I am merely tossing out ideas for others to comment on.
I assume that the power rating for the TP2050 chip - e.g., 2x50w or 1x100w - represents a theoretical maximum rather than a fixed constant. Has anyone tried pushing one of these amps to the limit - that is, low impedance speakers, high volume, and demanding music - and measuring the power output?

It would be nice to have some quantitative data to support qualitative claims of sound quality using different power sources.
Old 30th August 2010, 07:52 AM   #672
ptiJean is offline ptiJean  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I though this might be amusing at this point in the discussion of power supply overkill. Here is a photo of my new Big Dac Board running the dac section on a 100 Amp/Hour battery.
Experience with this DIY DAC ?
Cardboard power
Old 31st August 2010, 09:51 AM   #673
hifimediy is offline hifimediy  China
diyAudio Member

Default news for T3e mono PSU board

Hi, here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3e v2.JPG (93.1 KB, 513 views)
Old 31st August 2010, 12:15 PM   #674
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice connectors. Just a suggestion but from MyREFC group buy experience I found people really like it if they can replace the GBJ rectifier with TO-220 diodes. What is the 8 pin SIP on the power supply?
Old 31st August 2010, 12:36 PM   #675
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Relay control

That is the speaker protection IC to control the relay for turn on delay to eliminate the pop. The DC protection is not utilized as it is a bit trickier to implement with the bridged output but it could be modded to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Nice connectors. Just a suggestion but from MyREFC group buy experience I found people really like it if they can replace the GBJ rectifier with TO-220 diodes. What is the 8 pin SIP on the power supply?
Old 1st September 2010, 04:31 AM   #676
hifimediy is offline hifimediy  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is the speaker protection IC to control the relay for turn on delay to eliminate the pop. The DC protection is not utilized as it is a bit trickier to implement with the bridged output but it could be modded to do so.
A small relay plus photocoupler circuit is used for DC protection now. Or any one have better idea?
Old 1st September 2010, 05:30 AM   #677
TheDealer is offline TheDealer  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Tripath Master Hifimediy,

I see that the T3 is meanwhile at ebay listed.

Regarding Powersupply I am a bit confused which one is best to use. Reading item description one smps alone makes a bit noise. Taking 2 pieces should be the solution.

I never tried a tripath with a torroidal transformer. Is this board recommended to supply it with a torroidal transformer ? On the other hand a smps is mostly recommended here to supply your other boards like tk2050 V2.
Old 1st September 2010, 05:38 AM   #678
Nick122147 is offline Nick122147  China
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDealer View Post
Hi Tripath Master Hifimediy,

I see that the T3 is meanwhile at ebay listed.

Regarding Powersupply I am a bit confused which one is best to use. Reading item description one smps alone makes a bit noise. Taking 2 pieces should be the solution.

I never tried a tripath with a torroidal transformer. Is this board recommended to supply it with a torroidal transformer ? On the other hand a smps is mostly recommended here to supply your other boards like tk2050 V2.
The torroidal vs smps discussions should be the same for the T3 vs the other tk2050 boards. I haven't tried torroidal myself with any of the tk2050 boards.
The two channel power supply board should be good suited with a torroid, while for smps it would be better to use the new mono psu board to avoid any potentional noise.
Old 1st September 2010, 05:44 AM   #679
Nick122147 is offline Nick122147  China
diyAudio Member

Default off topic (DAC)

Quote:
I though this might be amusing at this point in the discussion of power supply overkill. Here is a photo of my new Big Dac Board running the dac section on a 100 Amp/Hour battery.
Experience with this DIY DAC ?
Hi Scott, are you running direct out of DAC chip mod on this? which dac chip is it? I have a very similar red DAC board , and mine makes some strange noise when I haven't connected any digital input.
Is one DC supply enought when only running the DAC part of this board? What voltage?
Old 1st September 2010, 09:08 AM   #680
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Does anyone have THD data/measures for sta505 and sta517B ? particularly thd vs output power at various frequencies. The datasheets are not very informative. Thanks.

New TK2050 boardHide this!Advertise here!