Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

New TK2050 board
New TK2050 board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2010, 05:57 PM   #1171
mravlca is offline mravlca  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Hifimediy can i ask you when the T4 will be ready and if you have maybe evaluated the end price for it? Now I have yours T1 and I am very satisfied with it.

Regards Aleš
Old 15th December 2010, 05:55 PM   #1172
progress0r is offline progress0r  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
It's TC2000/2001 + STA517B, not paralleled (similar to T1).
Is that a actuated/motorized potentiometer and a VFD display header (or maybe an IR and control panel header)?

I wonder how the sound of a sta517B-based amp differs from one with sta510A?
Old 15th December 2010, 06:00 PM   #1173
kristleifur is offline kristleifur  Iceland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by progress0r View Post
Is that a actuated/motorized potentiometer and a VFD display header (or maybe an IR and control panel header)?

I wonder how the sound of a sta517B-based amp differs from one with sta510A?
If the higher voltage capacity isn't used, then the sound is essentially the same. If the voltage is raised, you can get stronger peaks plus much less distortion ... These amps sound best at about 60% of maximum power as mandated by rail voltage. Raise the rail voltage and you raise that 60% bar.

Last edited by kristleifur; 15th December 2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: edit: missing a 'less' :)
Old 15th December 2010, 06:17 PM   #1174
alkasar is offline alkasar  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristleifur View Post
If the higher voltage capacity isn't used, then the sound is essentially the same. If the voltage is raised, you can get stronger peaks plus much less distortion ... These amps sound best at about 60% of maximum power as mandated by rail voltage. Raise the rail voltage and you raise that 60% bar.
do you have detailed THD figures for the STA517B ?
Old 15th December 2010, 06:30 PM   #1175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkasar View Post
do you have detailed THD figures for the STA517B ?
Not really. Here's some info: STA517B at same power levels as normal TP2050?

"You will get the same output with the same load and rail voltage. Whatever internal differences, those will be inside the feedback loop so the output will be the same. "

Essentially, the TC2000 and its rail-voltage / gain configuration mandates the THD.
Old 15th December 2010, 06:46 PM   #1176
Saturnus is offline Saturnus  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I think a saw V-bro post some number of ten told lower THD with the STA517Bs but when it's already at around 0.0001% THD then moving the decimal don't really have much difference. The real difference is in rail voltage... and sound. For some reason the STA517B seem to sound better (whatever the reason, I haven't found it yet).
Old 15th December 2010, 06:48 PM   #1177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
I think a saw V-bro post some number of ten told lower THD with the STA517Bs but when it's already at around 0.0001% THD then moving the decimal don't really have much difference. The real difference is in rail voltage... and sound. For some reason the STA517B seem to sound better (whatever the reason, I haven't found it yet).
OK! That's interesting! Thanks for the info.
Old 15th December 2010, 09:54 PM   #1178
bdbender is offline bdbender  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
I hope we can add a digital input board or module to T4 later, it will connect to T4 by PWM signal and switch the channels.
I vote for that!
Old 16th December 2010, 03:21 AM   #1179
bdbender is offline bdbender  United States
diyAudio Member

I wanted to thank Mr. Y. Yubing (Hifimediy) and Nick Steinar for their enthusiasm, professionalism, and nice products at very fair prices.

I got my T2 and Meanwell S-350-27 within less than a week of ordering.
This evening i wired them up "temporarily" with various bits from my accumulated electronic odds and ends (i suspect temporary may last a few months). The only serious thing I did was to take the input connector out and wire some input wires directly to the board.

Everything works; the heatsink is quite warm running at 30v but I can keep my hand on it; the DC offsets are low as set at the factory and didn't need any adjusting; there is no background noise with 90dB rated speakers; and the sound is well balanced and very detailed. I may not be able to resist putting a tube preamp in front of it just for fun, but it doesn't need it.

I have been accumulating parts for a Nelson Pass F5 amp, which is about as far away from PCM chips and SMPS as you can get and still be playing with solid state audio. (The F5 dissipates about 340 watts constantly in order to get 25 watts of class A power per channel). That's a fun project, too, but it's getting expensive for the two 300va toriods and fancy power supply diodes and huge heatsinks, and so on, so I think it may go on hold for a while.

Now I want a T4. And the modular digital input I just voted for in the previous post. And some nice right-sized chassis... it never ends!
Old 16th December 2010, 05:18 AM   #1180
EvilYoda is offline EvilYoda  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EvilYoda
Hey all, I just stumbled upon these amps...does anybody have a "finished" (doesn't have to be pretty) picture I can look at? I just want to see what type of connections are needed after I receive the amp and power supply. Thanks.

New TK2050 boardHide this!Advertise here!