Got my Parts-Express DTA-100 Amp Today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got the little 50wpc (30wpc) amp delivered. The amp is here:
Parts-Express.com:Dayton DTA-100 Class-T Digital Amplifier

I can't leave well enough alone and had to take it apart to look inside. Not overly impressive...

I've got it plugged in and playing, and honestly given about one minute of break-in and warmup, it doesn't sound too bad. I've got a 41Hz amp5 and an amp6 as my comparison points for this amp.

Here's some pics for the voyeuristic folks.

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

Sheldon

I would definitely not spend my money on this amp. Looks like is badly put together.

I'd rather get a naked sure electronics or connexelectronics board for a lot less money.

One can actually get 2 sure elec 4x100 boards for the price of this amplifier and build a killer surround sound set up.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
An interesting little amplifier, it's a shame that it has some questionable re-work anomalies. It might be alright, but long-term vibration exposure may see to its failure prematurely. Parts Express is a good company - maybe the will help you out if you send them these pictures. They might exchange it for a better example.

Jim

I just received my amp today and noticed that there is a problem with left/right balance. when the volume is low the left channel is louder then right. this seems to improve as the volume is raised, giving a normal balance when its about half ways. I tried changing speakers around, also the input which didnt change anything so it must be the potentiometer. same result on headphones and speakers... can someone confirm that their unit is working well?

received one of these as a sample. Volume pot really is trash. Had a major imbalance between channels and the crackling sound as the volume increases/decreases isnt a good sign either. Apart from that, its quite good. Will get manufacturer to utilize a better quality volume pot in this amp.

Sure Electronics

received one of these as a sample. Volume pot really is trash. Had a major imbalance between channels and the crackling sound as the volume increases/decreases isnt a good sign either. Apart from that, its quite good. Will get manufacturer to utilize a better quality volume pot in this amp.
The new amps that Parts Express is selling from Sure will be much better to choose from.
Sure Electronics - DIY Projects, Amplifier Kits, Class D Audio Amplifier Boards, Power Supplies - Offered at Parts-express.com
You can also buy these from their sight in China.
Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_RF and Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

new pot

Imbalance in very bad at any volume level. Volume pots are usually the cause at low levels? Any help would be appreciated.
Try a different pot or wire the input to by-pass the pot and use a pre amp or digital volume control to hear if it is then balanced. Measure the dc offset between each pair of speaker terminals to see if the output chips are still ok. I don't have one of these amps so I'm not sure of the circuit that they are using but I haven't read anything good about them. Maybe Parts Express will just give you a store credit for a refund without having to ship the amp back. Then you could buy one of the amps from Sure that they sell or, one of the ebay amps from hifimediy which are much better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.