My Sure TA2024 Tripath Arrived!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only down side is a Dell laptop PS @20V wouldn't run it. After reading the chip specs I thought it would be safe to go over the reccomended 9-14V. Makes me wonder if there is some over voltage protection... No big loss as I stated in another thread, this is intended to go on my boat with 12V.

For testing I settled on a 6V 1.5 amp wall wart. I tried several PS and voltage didn't make a noticible difference in volume or sound quality. This could be due to the low level of drive available from my MP3/4 player.

I had some old car stereo speakers boxes ~2 way 6.5" and 3" 20 Watt that had been collecting dust for at least 4 years.

I'm pleased with the performance! Things will only get better from here. Idea was to just set up a stereo on the boat that you would could plug your MP3 player into. I have two 4 gig MP3 players and a Motorola cell phone that all include FM recievers. The output of the MP3 players is just enough to drive headphones at a solid level of output so they will not drive the TA2024 to distortion levels even with the weak PS. Matter of fact I checked voltages and while there was some fluctuation at full volume it stayed in the 9.6-9.8V range => never really taxed the PS.

Listened to everything from early Fleetwood Mac to Dave Brubeck and it all sounds good even with the cheap speakers and weak power supply. Listening levels are just below pain threshold. If I close my eyes when listening to Brubeck I can almost convince myself it is a live performance.

The thing runs COOL! Hard to tell it is even on. I really think this is the perfect amp for my purpose. Almost everything that goes into it converts to sound rather then heat making it perfect for a sailboat. The inability to turn the volume up to the point of distortion has to be seen as a plus. Half a dozen of my kids and their knucklehead friends in drunken stupors on the boat with a dangerous level of big audio is something to be avoided!

Rick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.