Doing a class D Amp project using TL494

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is this essential to use XOR gates instead "These tricks" ?

Also why not invert the square with only a single BS170 or a BC547 and a resistor ?

Phase accurate and 81bas dont know the mode control pin of 494. It can work in 0...90 % mode and produce complementary output with the "trick". I built 2 slightly different versions, both worked acceptable. However with the same effort you can build UcD with much better quality.

I've readt in this thread that the one pulse is more long than the other when using this trick :confused:

I like the trick but this confuses me. I am having an oscillo but its not here and I cannot test.

However with the same effort you can build UcD with much better quality.
Nice, recommend me a modulator schematic :)
UcD means self-oscillation or its not necessary?
I want two schematics: one with triangle wave generator and one self-oscillating. There are many but i am confused here too because I dont know which one to use.

I've readt in this thread that the one pulse is more long than the other when using this trick :confused:

I like the trick but this confuses me. I am having an oscillo but its not here and I cannot test.

The problem is not really the length difference of pulses, but asymmetrical dead time (can go negative in one direction). You have to trim it by carefully chosen R(D)C network, and still it will not be perfect. You definitely need an oscilloscope.

Nice, recommend me a modulator schematic :)

There are more, for example the one in the "biasing ucd" topic. Search for! I write on mobile, I have limited access and time. Ucd is extremely simple, you can draw sch for yourself.

UcD means self-oscillation

Yes.

or its not necessary?
I want two schematics: one with triangle wave generator and one self-oscillating. There are many but i am confused here too because I dont know which one to use.

I never use sch of anybody elses. I always make my own, only as complex as I can understand. I can recommend this for you. And if you dont know electronics enough, you can experiment in simulator.

Last edited:
Thank, pafi.

Attached is mine tl494 build which uses the "trick" but its very noisy and its not very loud. Its single supply design and im suppliyng it with 100Vdc.

And this is the biasing scheme im using ->
simple-bias-tl4942-640x314.png

Thank you for encoarageing me to bias one myself.
Im very interested in self-osc but it seemed complex to me.

Attachments

• DSC05893.JPG
    DSC05893.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC05895.JPG
    DSC05895.JPG
    539.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
but if you want to understand you need to learn control theory.

What is control theory ?

How to use the attached for half-bridge ?
Just to remove the 2nd feedback ?

What is the maximum modulation of UcD ?

I found a thread here where its used a SG3525 and the thread author claims that modulations is 0 to 98% and also its less noisy than tl494's version.

Attachments

• 400w single supply btl ucd.pdf
    45.7 KB · Views: 169
What is control theory ?

Go to Wikipedia!

How to use the attached for half-bridge ?
Just to remove the 2nd feedback ?

I cant display this pdf on mobile.

What is the maximum modulation of UcD ?
0 to 100%, however at the ends it behave differently, switching freq drops significantly.

I found a thread here where its used a SG3525 and the thread author claims that modulations is 0 to 98% and also its less noisy than tl494's version.
This sound reasonable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.