TA2020 or TA2024?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now, I have looked the datasheets of the Tripath’s TA2020-020, TA2024 and TA2024C. First, both of the 2024’s have a little bit few output power than the 2020-020. O.k., that’s not so important in my opinion, but there is a big different in the Channel Separation. The TA2024 has at 2kHz 76dB, at 10kHz 64dB. On the other hand the 2020-020 has at 2kHz 80dB, at 10kHz 69dB. Otherwise the Channel Separation Chart of the TA2024C looks very strange. Could it be that Tripath has tuned up this chart a little bit afterward they saw the bad response in many Online-Forums, especially for people who compare it with the older 2020-020? In one and the same Datasheet exists two different Channel Separation charts (on two different unknown and strange measure units, they call it Inductors). On the one chart the 2024C has at 2kHz 84dB, at 10kHz 69kHz. On the other chart the same 2024C actually has at 2kHz 92kHz, at 10kHz 88dB. This is absolute contravene with the information on the third site of the datasheet of the TA2024C, the so called electrical characteristics table. There has the average channel separation 50dB to 60dB, and this is the same as on the bad TA2024. To be fair, it has to be said that Tripath uses in their electrical characteristics tables always different bandwidths on each mentioned processor. Anyway, it is strange. --- What do you make of it? ---

Link to the mentioned Tripath Specs.

By the way: Does anyone know if the Tripath Company still exists, The Website www.trippath.com is not available.

IMHO, don't get too embroiled in the chip's technical info, you have to consider the other componentry also, the layout, the choice and QUALITY of the components!
The chip might have fantastic S/N ration, separation, distortion figures, but sound like sh1t..... Listening tests, and a sound which is too YOUR liking is what you must aim for :)

By the way: Does anyone know if the Tripath Company still exists, The Website trippath.com is not available.

Bankrupt I believe

I think, too. Google is meaning similar, but the Google results regarding this request are all from the year 2007, this is 3 years ago. ---> Where does all the today's Tripath Processors come from? Is Tripath a dead technology?

I would recommend going with a Tripath TK2050 amp such as the Sure 2X100 rather than a 2020, which will have also amazing sound and actually have enough power for real speakers.

+1 on that

I think, too. Google is meaning similar, but the Google results regarding this request are all from the year 2007, this is 3 years ago. ---> Where does all the today's Tripath Processors come from? Is Tripath a dead technology?

It has been theorized that the chip mills are simply still producing the design. Chip availability is good, it seems.

Cirrus Logic bought the intellectual property and have put out a few chips. Those are unfortunately in chip packages that are hard to solder for a DIY'er.

Bernhardn,
I think that's manufacturer code for "don't present unpredictable impedance loads" to the amplifer. I'm pretty sure they meant 2 sets of speakers rather than drivers in parallel.
If you're 3.5's are commercially produced, I'm pretty sure that whoever designed the crossover made sure that they don't present impedance issues at certain frequencies that will cause your amp to oscillate. It's hard to stay in the speaker business if you're product doesn't work with almost any amplifier.
Anyway, if you hook up 2 different sets of speakers in parallel to the same amp terminal, it gets hard to predict what the amp is actually seeing and the orignal speaker designer's attempts to manage the load on the amp won't necessarily work. If you bought the speakers from a guy in a white van in a parking lot though, all bets are probably off.

If they're custom and your four drivers are in parallel as opposed to say series parallel (done a lot with multiple woofer or midrange systems), you might want to run a frequency sweep and test the impedance to make sure it doesn't drop below the 3.2 ohms particularly in the bass. If they do, you might need to add a zobel or two. There are probably people on the speaker part of this forum who can help you with that.

Bottom line, you're probably fine unless you built and designed your speakers yourself and didn't know a lot about crossovers or that an 8 ohm driver doesn't present an 8 ohm load at all frequencies.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.