Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've searched the forums and read a few old posts in this forum of people who have tried the coldamp smps's with hypex ucd modules and found a noticable increase in dynamics and bass delivery compared to linear supplies.

I'm yet to really read any sonic impressions on how the hypex smps's do. For those who have tried the hypex smps + hypex ucd combo's is there an improvement in dynamics, bass delivery, or *anything* over using a linear supply? Any sonic disadvantages that youve found? Has anyone compared the hypex smps to the HG linear supplies, if so any sonic differences you noticed?

Eva said:
Sometimes people becomes too emotive about their audio gear...

Sometimes you find someone using multiple personalities to advertise his own products without being noticed...

From the scientific point of view don't expect anything to happen.

Haha nice reply, thanks. Yeh I followed the 'multiple personalities' saga from a while back, good pop-corn reading.

Yep Im not expecting anything from a scientific point of view. Biased, personal, skewed, etc replies are all welcome. KeithC once posted a comparison of his UcD's using CA smps's and linear supplies. Im sure his results would vary from others, and different people in the same room might not have even agreed with his findings, but its the sort of thing Im after at the moment.

avian said:

Haha nice reply, thanks. Yeh I followed the 'multiple personalities' saga from a while back, good pop-corn reading.

Yep Im not expecting anything from a scientific point of view. Biased, personal, skewed, etc replies are all welcome. KeithC once posted a comparison of his UcD's using CA smps's and linear supplies. Im sure his results would vary from others, and different people in the same room might not have even agreed with his findings, but its the sort of thing Im after at the moment.

We have done some listening test whereby we have hooked up a linear transformer to our SMPS 180W, http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS180_datasheet.pdf . The secondaire of the transormer with 4 rectifier diodes (from the Sypply HG mono) are connected on the capacitors of the SMPS 180.

No difference in sound performance....., we didn't noticed the improvement what other claimes with a SMPS!

Jan-Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Jan-Peter said:

We have done some listening test whereby we have hooked up a linear transformer to our SMPS 180W, http://www.hypex.nl/docs/SMPS180_datasheet.pdf . The secondaire of the transormer with 4 rectifier diodes (from the Sypply HG mono) are connected on the capacitors of the SMPS 180.

No difference in sound performance....., we didn't noticed the improvement what other claimes with a SMPS!

Jan-Peter

So what you're saying is that you tried the caps of the smps180 on the standard HG supply, and found greater similarity between the sound of the caps, than in the difference between supplies.

Jan-Peter said:

Yep...that's right.... :angel:

Jan-Peter

Thanks Jan, thats pretty much the kind of answer I was looking for. I'll probably just get two of the hypex smps 400w supplies when they come out. Have prices been released yet, or do you have a ball park figure you can release for the moment?

Dumb question but does the 400w smps have split foil caps on the final stage? If not, do you think it would even benefit from them or not really?

comparison SMPS vs linear PSU

Hi everyone,

My experiments in comparing ClassD modules powered by Linear PSU or by SMPS , globally, drove me to find a significant improvement when supplied by (good) SMPS:

-silker treble,
-better controlled bass

cheers

Jan-Peter,

In a recent email to me, you stated that for audiophile purposes I should use a toroidal transformer and the UcD Supply HG monos versus your soon-to-arrive SMPS. I went ahead and ordered the transformers and the UcD Supply HG monos based on your advice .

Could you explain why you think that the transformers and the UcD Supply HG monos are superior to your SMPS for audiophile purposes.

slowlearner said:
Jan-Peter,

In a recent email to me, you stated that for audiophile purposes I should use a toroidal transformer and the UcD Supply HG monos versus your soon-to-arrive SMPS. I went ahead and ordered the transformers and the UcD Supply HG monos based on your advice .

Could you explain why you think that the transformers and the UcD Supply HG monos are superior to your SMPS for audiophile purposes.

No, but this is our experience so far.

Due to lack on time we didn't had very much time yet for any tweaking.

We need first to finnish the development of the 1.2kW SMPS and 3.0kW SMPS, for the UcD700 and UcD 2k.

Jan-Peter

Sorry about digging this old-ish post up, but are there any updates on the availability date and price on the smps400? Going by the mass email in January it seems there is another 2 weeks to go if they are still working off the 6 week time table, but was hoping some more info would be available on hypex.nl/hypexshop by now.

Yes Im impatient I know.. looking forward to buying two power supply modules from the first production run...

Jan-Peter said:

No, but this is our experience so far.

Due to lack on time we didn't had very much time yet for any tweaking.

We need first to finnish the development of the 1.2kW SMPS and 3.0kW SMPS, for the UcD700 and UcD 2k.

Jan-Peter

Do you have an estimate of when the 3kW SMPS will be available?

(and ballpark price for UcD2k+SMPS)

Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.