Help required for bathroom audio project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I am very much a newbie to these dark arts and I could do with some help in a project I have (perhaps foolishly!) decided to undertake.

My aim is to be able to play my Ipod over speakers in my bathroom.

So far the plan goes like this: Put 3.5mm socket in bathroom wall which has a cable that runs into an amp hidden in a cupboard behind the bathroom which then has cable running to 2 waterproof ceiling speakers in said bathroom.

After perusing these boards for some time I decided that one of Arjens TA2020 boards should be a good starting point in terms of amp, and one is winging it's way to me now.

My main concern at this point is what speakers to use and this is where I could really do with some assistance.

Arjen has recommended these Speakers but they appear to be car speakers and I don't know if they are suitable for a bathroom environment or ceiling mounting.

Please can you point me in the direction of suitable (budget!) speakers?

Thanks in advance :)

the_chase1

Give this site a look. http://www.aqsound.com/store/en/products/

I have a pair of the 8 ohm 5 inch coaxials in my bath panel being run by an amp in the next room. They aren't hifi, but there's an extractor fan running when I am in there so they dont need to be. I was concerned the cones in a normal speaker would suffer because of the humidity so I went the waterproof route. They sound fine to me for the application and if you give some thought to a better box design they will no doubt sound better.

Be very careful about the electrical safety aspect of this, but other than that it's a marvelous thing in my opinion. Run a bath, roll a fag, brew up and put on some suitable tunes, very relaxing!

John

There'll be no fag rolling in my bathroom, thank you very much!

I don't smoke...

neither does my boyfriend :bigeyes:

But seriously, thanks for your advice :) As it happens, driven mainly by frugality (I'm skint basically) I have decided to go down the car speaker route after all. I've asked around and it seems not so unsual as they are designed to be fairly rugged and well hey, if they do degrade after a while I'll upgrade to the Sony's.

Next question - power supply. Arjen says (on the ebay aution I bought the board from) that a 12v 3amp power supply will be sufficient to power the 2020. Will this do?

Presumably if I get something like this I will have to solder a 2.1mm power input socket onto the board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.