1000 watt Amp Modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Who makes ready to run high powered switcher amp modules? I need something that will easily run 1000watts into 8 ohms and will handle 4 and 2 ohm loads for an industrial application. I need something that is stable and reliable under a variety of conditions including low AC line voltage down to 90VAC(at reduced power is OK). heavy line sag under power, noise immunity etc.

Any suggestions??? im not familiar with who is making amps these days.

Zc

Beware that these are designed for audio use. Depending on what your application is (motor driver or similar?) they will probably not be able to sustain the kind of power you need. Max. continous output with a sinewave input is limited to 1/8th power so unless your input signal is something approaching an audio signal, they will overheat and go into protection mode within a matter of minutes.

/U.

Whats your application? We already subcontract class d amplifier and switching supply for industrial application, like heating floor test driver (10 KW amplifier), heating floor fault finder (1KW amplifier), induction boiler (3KW amplifier), all are for continuous sine wave duty. We still also built pro audio class d amplifier!

coolamp make a class-D module rated 260W into 8 ohms and 400 into 4. Looks good and I've seen some enthusiastic net,noises about them, but I've no actual experience.

Bridged pair gives 800 into 8; I don't think it will work into 4. They also have a switching power supply rated at 800 watts. One PS + 2 modules gets you close to what you need.

I would buy or make a small amplifier like 10watts that operates at a lowish frequency like 80khz and modify it to drive the gates of two monster mosfets. This way you will never blow your mosfets or worry about overheating.

I assume distortion does not matter much.

actually this is an industrial audio application. mostly LF stuff. High power. portable etc. The OEM i contract too has signed up with B&O and has requested an evaluation unit for the ASP1000 I am curious to see how well these will stand up to varied conditions. line noise etc. poor power. the load they will see will be 4-8 ohm subwoofers But might be many drivers in series parallel. Its a high volume application and high back EMF is a possibility.

The ASP1000 is smaller then i had hoped for. I was hoping for 1000 watts at 8 ohms. Anyone know if two modules could be bridged?? I don't know if these will allow that.

Specs do mention 2 ohm operation but no specs are given as such. I would imagine that in bridged mode 8 ohms would be as low as you could run it. still 2kw into 8 ohms is pretty good.

reading the spec. the ASp1000 shows it can run a second 1000 series module of the internal power supply. I wonder how well it will run two modules??

I will dig into the spec a bit more. where did you see anything about it not being able to run at full power for extended periods of time? with a 3-6db crest factor these will be running maybe 1/3 power mostly i would bet.

Zc

You can't (easily) bridge two modules as they are H-bridge output and I don't see how adding a second module will accomplish much in terms of sustained max. power. - you might switch some load from the on-board amp to the on-board PSU, but it's probably not going to matter much in the end.

The power specs I mention are on p.6 in the datasheet and if you have contacts to ICEpower ask for the design docs which has performance measurements on a 1000ASP/1000A combo (IIRC).

/U.

Wavebourn said:
Jean-Peter;
What if I put couple of UCD180 and one UCD 700 module in the single box, is it possible to synchronize them for quiet operation?
And do you mean San Francisco AES show?

Please drop me a message if you are interested in cooperation.
I am also interested in SMPS to power them all together.

If you mount a UcD180 and a UcD700 in the right way, you do not have to synchronize them.

Indeed the San Francisco AES show, Bruno and myself will be availble during the show.

We will have our 2kW module availble.... ;)

Cheers,

Jan-Peter

Now that everyone is replying you, why won't we do it as well?

Using our coldamp modules, with 2 x BP4078 + 1 SPS80 you will get 800Wrms at 8 ohm, as Pashley stated. However, BP4078's are greatly oversized, and in fact we are routinely using this setup to power big PA subwoofers at 4 ohm, getting more than 1300W peak (this can't be sustained RMS, but the efficiency of the set is high enough to withstand this power level indefinitely with bass music (most energy is there within the audio band) without any special cooling except for a small 4x4cm fan. So the suitability for you depends on your application).

The cost of this setup is 360 euro for 1 unit sold to a particular, of course OEM can get great discounts per quantity.

Well, running this setup inside a small case (MK12: 50x25x35mm approx) using no heatsinks apart from the case itself, and running for a lot of hours continuously at full power on a 4 ohm subwoofer, with disco music and 35ºC outside temperature, requiring only a 40x40mm fan, is not what I call a special cooling requirement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.