SMPS for class D module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

As I saw some posts asking for switching supplies for class D modules I send you a photo of my own setup.
I am using some Hypex Ucd400 modules to power a pair of big 3-way boxes.
I have got my supply from here( I have paid 130€ for it): www.redrocksaudio.es. Actually my supply has a main output for 60+60 volts ,another one for 30+30 volts and 12+12 volts for low power aux circuits and it has PFC on input also. I am using it with 3 Ucd400 connected and it works without problem so I took away my heavy toroidal analog supply by now.

Attachments

• modulo11.jpg
    modulo11.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,900
I just got a reply from red rocks audio saying the price for the SMPS is $204 USD and it is no problem to supply it with different voltages.

Regarding ordering, I emailed info@redrocksaudio.es and they replied with a PDF order form.

the data sheet http://www.redrocksaudio.es/files/SMPS6060PFC.pdf
states the swithcing frequency is 125khz, which I assume is a good starting point for an audio grade SMPS.

I think I'm going to try one of these out. Unfortunately this will be for my first ever DIY amp, so I wouldn't be able to give any useful comparison to any other products/designs.

edit:

I've just been checking out some of their other products, and came across this:
http://www.redrocksaudio.es/files/miniPROCII.pdf
Digital active crossover with EQ.

I have asked for pricing on this also.

Hi:

The reasons to choose this and not the coldamp one were:

-PFC stage on input
-Better price
-No PWM control but quasi resonnant fixed frec control so less EMI radiation and noise.
-More power and no problems without load.

I saw it at FrankfurtMesse exhibition I left my email and they sent me a price list and an order form after.

I just received the price list and the digital crossover (2 way) is $128 USD. I am waiting a response regarding a conversion module to 4 way. This seems like a very resonable price, considering the time delay and eq functionality built in.

Their SMPS seems to include the required +-12v supply for the crossover module also.

It is also worth noting that the quantity discounts are quite resonable. Especially for the SMPS 11 and up. Maybe a group buy is in order. ;)

Hi:

I did not find any detrimental diff. on the sound quality of the amplifiers but the lack of physical working noise from the old toroidal trafo. The only sound left is the small hiss of the Ucd400.s when idle with no sound on the inputs. The fan included has also very low noise so the only way to know that the power is on is the blue led light inside the supply and the fan blowing.
I do not have the proper equipment to measure the residual noise of the amplifiers after the upgrade but in my listening tests I could not detect it.

HYPERTUNE said:
I just received the price list and the digital crossover (2 way) is $128 USD. I am waiting a response regarding a conversion module to 4 way. This seems like a very resonable price, considering the time delay and eq functionality built in.

I sent an email too and btw, they replied very quickly. good communication!

I tried their miniProcII interface. Very intuitive and easy. One point that is worth to notice (unless I'm wrong): this digital crossover is for ONE channel. would you want stereo, you need 2 miniPROC. Am I correct ?

Christian

Yes, for Stereo you need 2 of these.

I was asking for the price for the miniPROC II as well. Compared with the dcn23 from Groundsound it seems a very good price. A stereo dcn23 with power supply & relais board costs around 687€.
I guess 2 miniPROC II with power supplies and the 4 way upgrade would set you back around half of that. The dnc23 software has the nice feature of loading measured frequency response of the drivers, something I don't see here. I would go for the groundsound because I prefer its software but the price just knocks me out :dead:

Btw, the 200 class-d amps from redrockaudio remind me strongly of the ucd180. I'm looking forward to see some THD measurements :)

Hi,

I tested the MiniPoc Demo and must say, that I don´t find the handling intuitive at all. Why for example the division into Input-EQ, EQ A and B?
The grafics are very basic (show EQ) and are not what could be expected nowadays as standard.
I miss out the possibility to load measured LS-response data, which eases the filter design process considerably.
Compare this prog against the HiFiAkademie prog. Here You can set 16 filter blocks of 2nd order (HP, LP, EQ, et al) for each of the 2 channels and load measured response data. Handling is far more intuitive than MiniProc´s. MiniProc has the only advantage of a basic limiter-filter.
Since the hardware cost is generally quite low for such filter-modules lowish price tags result rather from the capabilities of the software.

jauuu
Calvin

Calvin said:
Hi,

I tested the MiniPoc Demo and must say, that I don´t find the handling intuitive at all. Why for example the division into Input-EQ, EQ A and B?
The grafics are very basic (show EQ) and are not what could be expected nowadays as standard.
I miss out the possibility to load measured LS-response data, which eases the filter design process considerably.
Compare this prog against the HiFiAkademie prog. Here You can set 16 filter blocks of 2nd order (HP, LP, EQ, et al) for each of the 2 channels and load measured response data. Handling is far more intuitive than MiniProc´s. MiniProc has the only advantage of a basic limiter-filter.
Since the hardware cost is generally quite low for such filter-modules lowish price tags result rather from the capabilities of the software.

jauuu
Calvin

Can you give any more info about that product? Is there any possibility for 3 way? I saw that there are two modules, but could not work out what the difference is........

Calvin,

did you try Impulse software ? It's miniProc companion software that permits to perform measures, this feature being currently missing within miniProc.

I got an email from Redrocks explaining that next miniProc version will include similar feature.
I don't know if I can post it here. Maybe it's better to just ask them yourself. I'm sure they will reply very quickly.

Then, regarding your other (btw valid) points:
interface doesn't aim, for what I understand, at providing full analysis features. Purpose being to build active speakers with embedded active filter, miniProc covers it. Program interface only intend to set parameters for this filter. At least that's my explanation ;-)

I'm looking at this for other purpose. I'm currently building an active filter (based on Jens Rasmussen design) but feel this miniproc will do the job easily and will be more flexible once additional module (to prvide 4 ways) will be available.

Equalizations... hmmm, again, the way I understand it is that is permits to change input signal (is it really useful having in mind active speakers ?) and also A section and B section (each being the two sides of your filter) without interaction. Then, unless I'm wrong, you can act at output signal level. This could be used for instance, benefiting from the 4 presets, to have different curves depending on where you are using your speaker.

Well, I don't want to push it too much ;-) I'm not selling it and do not work for this company. I'm only try to understand what they had in mind with such product and how it could fit my needs.

Regarding their SMPS, I will definitely buy one as single SMPS for my "3 amps" project made of 2 *Truepath + AMP5. Question still remain filtering.
With miniproc, it's no more DIY... ;-)

Cheers
Christian

Hi,

I just tested the MiniProc-Program as it can be downloaded from the website.

interface doesn't aim, for what I understand, at providing full analysis features. Purpose being to build active speakers with embedded active filter, miniProc covers it. Program interface only intend to set parameters for this filter. At least that's my explanation ;-)

That is right. The prog only functions as a tool to generate the filter coefficients. With IIR-Filters (analogue to analog filters) You have a number of filter blocks of 2nd order that can be cascaded. MiniProc separates these blocks into a common equalizer section and two channels A and B. With the mentioned HiFiAkademie program You have 16 filter blocks per channel which You can configure freely (as HP LP or EQ). You can import measured Freq-responses (from Arta, DASL et al).
Without this possibility its rather difficult or means more effort to get good and reliable results.

jauu
Calvin

NewTesla said:
Hi.

As I saw some posts asking for switching supplies for class D modules I send you a photo of my own setup.
I am using some Hypex Ucd400 modules to power a pair of big 3-way boxes.
I have got my supply from here( I have paid 130€ for it): www.redrocksaudio.es. Actually my supply has a main output for 60+60 volts ,another one for 30+30 volts and 12+12 volts for low power aux circuits and it has PFC on input also. I am using it with 3 Ucd400 connected and it works without problem so I took away my heavy toroidal analog supply by now.

How is the isolation from mains to ground/secondary outputs? Is it >3KV? Do you need mains ground? In other words: is it a Class II unit.

HYPERTUNE said:
Christian:

I will order an SMPS as soon as I decide the voltage I will run on my Truepath(s).

Hi Christian,

Do you order the supply yet? Do you know if the 12V is isolated?
I'm also planning to use it on Truepath and found out that 12V need to be isolated, now I'm worried with the two units that I ordered.

NewTesla,

Is the 12V isolated?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi:

The +12V -12V connector has the common tied to ground but this can be isolated if you need eliminating a link (L2) on the pcb board.

About the isolation and safety I asked them and the supply has 3kv isolation between primary and secondary circuits and earth connector and it is a class I device using EN60065 safety regulation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.