Huygens MCD 1202 - Class D amp finally arrived

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This very gentle guy called Adam Comack from spain developed with his Partner Fumac (member here) a brand new design of Class D amp.
Called MHz Class D or MCD. Finally the amp arrived well to me.

Detailed review follows after warm up and long listening:

Attachments

• mcd-1202.jpg
    mcd-1202.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,445
Hi Fumac, if you read this thread, please could you explain me the
technical datas for the MCD 1202 in your homepage eden-audio.com ?

I am little bit confused about this:
Type MCD-1002 MCD-1202 MCD-1802 Name 4 input integrated stereo class-D amplifier Voltage AC :115/230 V 50/60Hz Output 4ohm ,THD<0.5% 100Wx2 120Wx2 180Wx2 power 8ohm ,THD<0.5% 50Wx2 70Wx2 100wx2 THD @ 1k Typical @ 7k Typical @ 15k(50k bandwidth) @1W 0.005% 0.007% 0.008% @8W 0.008% 0.015% 0.02% @Half power 0.02% 0.04% 0.04% Frequency response 5Hz~30K +0/-0.05db 1Hz~80KHz +0/-3dB (All load all power).

Are these technical datas for three models ?

-----------------------

Thats beside my review which will follow soon.

Fumac

The residual amplitude tells me that you have fairly high attenuation in the output filter. This means that your filter resonance frequency is much lower than your switching frequency and that your small signal bandwidth is much greater than your large signal bandwidth. What happens when you apply a high amplitude 1kHz square wave and have inductive load or no load at all? Is it still stable?

Pabo said:
Fumac

The residual amplitude tells me that you have fairly high attenuation in the output filter. This means that your filter resonance frequency is much lower than your switching frequency and that your small signal bandwidth is much greater than your large signal bandwidth. What happens when you apply a high amplitude 1kHz square wave and have inductive load or no load at all? Is it still stable?

hi Pabo
nice to meet you
we have a filter for class-d at 150k+0/-3db, pwm is 1mhz, about 6 times
one other class-d amp is 50k +0/-3db, pwm is about 400k, 8 times

so , you can get , our filter is not "much lower than pwm signal" than the others :)

because our pwm frequency is much higher than audio . so we can get very low residual amplitude
here is a picture for know about it :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

more information here:
http://www.class-d.net/tech/

you can get the 200hz ~20khz square wave 60v output (6ohm 150Wrms)
at next data sheet at page 7

mcd-255 data sheet

it is very good at running at high power output.

if you need , i will take pictures for new test at low power and high power frequency respond.

rg
fumac

Pabo said:
fumac
Thank you for your reply!
What does the square wave response look like without load?

ok
show you a picture, that you can get the diffrent at with and without loading

if we dont connet load , the square wave will be ring.
this depend on the output filter. class-d will be ring without load.

you can see, from open load to 4ohm, the respond at 1k is no diffrent, and at the 20k, is +/-2db,
from top to button
unload, 8ohms, 4ohms

Attachments

• respoint.jpg
    respoint.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,110
peranders said:
Patrik, I know you know a lot about this so I'll ask a newbie question:
1 Is it important to have a good beahviour without a load?

2 Can you predict something when you see the low load behaviour?

hi peranders
nice to see you again

perhpas we dont use an amp without load, but we can test it without load then we can get more infomation of the respond at diffrent load
testing is not just test the nomal Conditions, to test it at special Conditions, then to know more about it . will help us make it better.
rg
fumac

fumac

Your datasheet states that the frequency response is +0dB/-3dB 1Hz to 100kHz all loads and all powers? The graph you just showed says different?

peranders

At the filter resonance frequency (40kHz or more) a 15 subwoofer will act as open load. If the amplifier goes into subharmonic oscillation and sets on fire when going into severe clipping it is not considered to be a robust design.

It is very difficult to do a class d design that is good at everything. I know this for a fact.

Pabo said:
fumac

Your datasheet states that the frequency response is +0dB/-3dB 1Hz to 100kHz all loads and all powers? The graph you just showed says different?

peranders

At the filter resonance frequency (40kHz or more) a 15 subwoofer will act as open load. If the amplifier goes into subharmonic oscillation and sets on fire when going into severe clipping it is not considered to be a robust design.

It is very difficult to do a class d design that is good at everything. I know this for a fact.

thank you Pabo, i will click the worng words.
yes as you say, at class-d , hard to make all the things best, need to balanced anything.

rg
fumac

philho said:
When will the rest of your website (including the shop) be usable? I'm excited!

sorry for my job about our website

because i'm not so good at english
so need time to write the words right.
and we are vry busy for designing new product (not just for ourself, we do ODM for others)

perhaps the web site will not ready all for a loong time.

sorry for that,
if you need , mail to me please

rg
fumac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.